What 2008 Champagne Are You Buying?

I’m buying a lot less these days but I bought Dom and Cristal after tasting them. Both outstanding, Cristal is killer.

I’ll probably buy Comtes.

Has 2008 Chetillons been released in the US? Or has it come and gone?

Come and gone :frowning:

Philipponnat Juste Rose and Philipponnat Les Cintres (100% Blanc de Noir so I consider it a Rose in a sense), but move fast if you want either. Not easy to get in the US and especially tough in 2008. I am told both are knockouts.

Probably Dom and maybe Taittinger once they come out. Since Rose is usually delayed a bit compared to other offerings, there has not been much available just yet from the major houses.

Come and gone as Michael noted. 2012 just came available, and here and elsewhere the praise is very high- so I would expect it will disappear quickly as did the 2008 (cannot find any current WS offerings on the 08.)

I’ll console myself with the money I “saved.”

It is kind of scary how many people are waiting on the 2008 CdC. I hope that they make a lot of it or the price [wow.gif]

What’s the view on how 2012 will stack up?

I bought a bunch of 2008 but wondering what next great vintage will be?

Anyone looking at the 2008 Egly Ouriet? Offered at 520 in Epernay for 212€ today, shopkeeper was ambivalent on pricing having tasted next to the 2009. Says demand is out of control. Also offered at La Cave du Forum in Reims for 198€. Intriguing but hard to justify at Cristal prices.

Any indication on when they will release the 2008 CdC??

I think it is going to be pretty price sensitive. I will be buying from Europe, and the pricing needs to be sub $120 to be of interest. I can still buy the 2007 Rose for $780 a six pack

Why sub $120?

What better Champagne buys are out there for $120?

Taittinger going from $85-90 for '06 to $120 is a huge price jump. I will only buy if it’s $100 or less.

Mainly because I have enough Champagne to last me for years, and if I get the buying urge, I can always get the 2007 Rose for $10 more, which I rated at 97, and more importantly, my wife loves it.

As you asked about Rose I have not had a lot of Rose bubbly, but I did try 1998 Veuve Clicquot La Grand Dame Rose out of magnum last Saturday and it was incredibly good. The 2008 should be slightly better.

Tom,
I just ordered some '08 Phillippinat 1522 Rosé. I loved the '06 iteration.
Cheers,
Warren

Steve,

But of course! So far, a couple each of:

2008 Deutz Rosé Amour de Deutz
2008 Jacquesson Dizy Terres Rouges Rosé
2008 Philipponnat Cuvée 1522 Rosé
2008 Pol Roger Brut Rosé
2008 Veuve Clicquot Brut Rosé

Cheers,
Warren

So far have some of the following, but will be grabbing some LGD this weekend after tasting it last week.
2008 Larmandier-Bernier Grand Cru Vieille Vigne du Levant
2008 Mailly Grand Cru Brut Millésimé
2008 Pierre Gimonnet Special Club
2008 Dom Pérignon

Thanks for the tip. I just looked it up and seems I should add that to the stable. I have long been a fan of Philipponnat, but only recently have I been actively acquiring the wines and researching them outside of the Clos des Goisses Brut. Quite a few choices!

I cannot speak to European pricing on Comtes, but I can tell you that here in Texas the same stores that were selling the 2006 for $120-140 a bottle are offering the 2007 for $160-180, which seems reasonably in line with the percentage shift that was discussed above in other posts.

And so in the Texas market, I am expecting 2008 Comtes will be around $200. The love for 2008 continues to grow as more people start tasting the wines, and given how plentiful Dom is for a start- that potential fan base can only grow from here.

Comtes itself is also surging well in the secondary market for older vintages. I get regular lists from London, and Comtes pricing is very strong right now for pre-2000 vintages.

Add in the fact that champagne is the only region that is really doing very well broadly at auction right now, and I do not think there is any way on this earth that 2008 Comtes is going to come in any less than the 2007- and likely it will be a bit more. I am actually fearful there might be an attempt to go higher than what I am expecting, but time will tell.

I think some people asked when, and at this point I would guess in the spring of 2020. Retailers have been telling me for weeks they expect it any day, but this close to the holidays and NYE I am betting they will let 2007 fill that demand and save 2008 for a slower time of year since it is a vintage that will have a wide audience that is not seasonally sensitive about the timing of purchase.

I just paid $105 for the 07 and there was more a couple days later. Walker Wines. No affiliation.