Virtual Tasting Series Week 10.5: Premox Smemox, the chardonnay from Burgundy

Yeah Charlie…already on the hunt… :slight_smile:

I

wonder how many of these producers use whole cluster? Seems interesting, never even thought one would do that!

Isn’t much, or even most Chardonnay whole cluster pressed, at least that was my understanding that you got cleaner juice doing it that way?

As for white Burgundy here’s one fresh off the boat with Colin-Morey’s La Chateniere 2012:

Typical Colin-Morey nose with a bit of sulfur, and then with time flowers and even a bit of lactic influence. Rich and silky on the palate – more so than previous vintages with peach and soft citrus, and more volume than I can remember from this wine. Very easy drinking and user friendly if not as tense as some past years, but with time started to display more minerality. I might like a bit more tension, but really lovely St. Aubin.

2007 Simon Bize Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Vergelesses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (2/3/2014)
nice example from Bize (RIP). nose shows some green apple, raw almond, and oak character. Palate is well balanced with plenty of acid to hold up to the restrained oak. minerality shows through with honeyed green apple. med (+) finish. A nice wine with plenty of life left. (91 pts.)

Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru “Foret” 2002: Just lovely with a big dose of white fruit flesh set against tangy minerals. Will age nicely from here but why wait. 91

Sauzet Batard Montrachet 2002: Quite golden, suggesting shock horror it might be advanced. Initially butterscotch dominated but actually livened up a lot, poached nuts, white florals and apricot. Hard to know where this is heading, but really good after some air from this bottle. 92

let me see what I can dig up for breakfast [wink.gif]

white burgundy is a cruel mistress

I’ll see what I can find—I do have a 2008 Bernard Defaix Cote de Lechets Chablis up to bat, but that’s for this Saturday. I’m sure I can find something :slight_smile:

2011 Domaine Leflaive Bourgogne: Just a hair below the 10 version but an absolute beauty. Picked early and weighing in at just 12.5% alcohol. It is compact, minerally and piercing. There’s some flora and a huge squeeze of lemon juice. It has good detail and fabulous cut. It may oxidise before it develops any real mid-palate sweetness but for now it is just right for those who like their whites piercing and crisp.

• 2011 Val de Mer Chablis 1er Cru Les Forêts - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (02/04/2014)
    Tasty good…clean citrus, salty sea breeze, crushed shale, melon creme, lime blossoms, flint strike…little shy at first, would benefit with some good air….but SO Chablis correct. Even better in a couple. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2008 Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis Grand Cru “Les Preuses”
13% abv. Medium gold color with transparency. Flinty core wrapped in tart green apple notes. Lemon citrus acid also prevalent. I would be happy with this as a premier cru Chablis but expected a bit more from a “Les Preuses.” At least it showed no signs of premature oxidation. It worked quite well as a pairing with Welsh rarebit and veal piccata. It was a counterpoint to the richness of the cheese in the rarebit and had some echoes of the lemon in the veal piccata

I just grabbed a glass of the Jean Marc Pillot that I posted a few nights ago back on Page 1. Wow, this is a great bottle of chardonnay. Just simply left it in the fridge since I opened it last Friday night and it’s hung right in there, the balance is now just superb. The lemon profile in this is just pure, stark and the green apple against it just a knock out. I’m calling it out as one my best of the year now, it’s in my posting signature. Wish I had more.

And some more.

Carillon Puligny Montrachet Les Perrieres 1996
Colour and nose still A ok, but palate is starting to tire. Great lick of salt, cutting across some honey and chalk. Apple blossoms in the background. 90-

Sauzet Puligny Montrachet Les Perrieres 2006
Believe it or not, a bit darker than the above and definitely more viscous. Perhaps advanced, but probably just the vintage: generous butterscotch, not tooooo sweet. Background holds some limestone and pebbles, but it’s actually florals that dominate after some air. Probable upside potential. 88

There is nothing really that says these wines are from the same terroir… or maybe I’m just a poor taster

2012 Louis Jadot Pouilly-Fuisse: A great go to wine for $32 at a local seafood restaurant. Good balance between juicy and steely. Not the most complex Burg, but lively lemon notes and a slight stony-ness. Somewhat wound up, but plenty enjoyable now, especially with a vegetable salad and grilled trout. Not sure of the winemaking, but some oak is apparent.

2008 Drouhin Chablis GC Vaudesir
My first bottle a year and a half ago showed a lot of material and promise but lacked precision and excitement. The wine has really come around and showed great right out of the bottle. A touch of oak and Meyer lemon on the nose. Electric palate, which is dominated by intense minerality and precise lively acidity. Bitter lemon and white fruits. Very long and full of life. This is super!

I believe there are 28 tasting notes so I owe another 30 bucks to charity! I’ll round it up to a good ol $250.

Thanks for joining everyone!!!

We’ll done, Fu!

Thanks for stepping in for the rescue. So who is up next?

It’s already up and running, sticky post in the forum. Humberto is driving.

Fu, can you add another 10 bucks if I put up a note on the 1999 Comtes Lafon Meursault ‘Clos de la Barre’? Here it is anyway.

Colour is good but quite nutty on the nose with a strong smell of aldehyde. It starts of linear in the mouth with some honeycomb and citrus. It sweetens up from the heart and has some ripe peach notes. It has some mushroom development and decent acidity holdng the whole package together. Not oxidised but absolutely ready to go.

Just under the gun

2008 Bernard Defaix Chablis 1er Cru Cote de Lechets

This is one of those where I’m now kicking myself for only having one more, where I should have half a case left. Light floral tinge to lemon and unripe apple scents, this wine makes its mark on the palate. The acidity, structure and lemon-filled frame is perfectly proportioned, and lemon, light grapefruit, bits of bosc pear, minerals and slate all play wonderful music. A crazy-good value at the $35 or so I paid for it. I am becoming more and more convinced that 2008 is probably my fave ever vintage for Burgundy whites.

Haere Ra,

Mike

2010 Domaine Antoine Jobard, Meursault Genevrieres
Great producer and my fav Meursault terroir.
Lovely non-fat texture, rich, flinty, and precise, focused.
Both stringent and sexy. Keep for many years (fingers crossed)

1996 Domaine Francoise Maldant Corton-Charlemagne
Dark yellow, oxidized (it would not be premox considering the age?)