Virtual Tasting Series Week 10.5: Premox Smemox, the chardonnay from Burgundy

Since week ten with Spanish wines has gone off with a smashing success [snort.gif] I’ve been asked to fill in with a new tasting series from this thursday Jan 30th until the next week.

I strongly believe (and I think I’m not the only one) that the Chardonnay out of Burgundy deliver some of the greatest wines in all of Burgundy. You also don’t need to sell a body part to afford to really delicious white burgundy. Full bodied flavor in Puligny, floral beauty in Meursault, precision in Chablis and incredible QPR in the macon.

Of course the nagging issue and potential landmine for many new drinkers or even inquisitive drinkers of white burgundy is the dreaded issue of premox. Don Cornwell has done an absolute bang up job setting up the White Burg Premox Wiki and I thought this Virtual Tasting would be a cool way to get some more notes into it. Don’s own white burg premox dinner is coming up in a couple of months (which I’m sadly out of town for) so I propose that we taste through white burgundy from 1995-current and give your opinions and tastes on what you’ve had. If you want to pop something before then, by my guest, always a pleasure to read notes on well aged white burgs.

The wines can be at any price point, any producer, any area in burgundy. Maybe this gives people an incentive to try white burgundy for the first time! I know I have a few friends who have recently gotten into white burgundy and are completely obsessing over it. If you have questions on what would be a good wine to look at , put up your price point and I’m sure you’ll get a bevy of recommendations!

I’ll be partaking in a few whites square in the crosshairs of potential premox from 1999-2001 this weekend so I’ll definitely have some notes up in the next 48 hours.

Charity.
I’ll be donating to the Riverside Department of Animal Services. We adopted our awesome Siberian Husky Kodiak from Riverside and they could always use more donations. Here we are doing a little role reversal for Halloween this year. $200 to Riverside!

I’ve been a strong advocate of adopting dogs through shelters and rescues. You can find beautiful buddies without spending a bunch of money and giving them to professional breeders. Don’t forget, you’re also saving a life! Like Robert did, every note after #25, I’ll put in an additional $10

Can we also continue to contribute to the Spanish red thread? I just posted one note and have another Spanish wine ready to open for Super Bowl weekend.

I’ll be cheating a little (Fié-Gris from the Auxerrois). Just yesterday I opened a 2008 Saint Bris Corps de Garde Fié Gris from Goisot. This was harvested fairly late and has some botrytis in the mix according to the Goisot website. I can’t exclude storing issues as it was lying in my not so perfect short-term cellar for a year or so. I had other wines from Goisot in the past, but the Fié Gris for the first time.

Light golden colour. In the nose, this is quite warm, there’s green fruit (Kiwi, gooseberry), a touch of honey, dried flowers, yellow and green apple and roasted cashew nuts. In the mouth, it’s quite rich, well structured, bone-dry, it has nice minerality and a very bright acidity that dominates the fairly austere finish. There are gooseberry notes in the finish, too.

This was a little more advanced than expected, but only upon opening the bottle and (after having rested in the fridge for a few days) upon reopening the bottle a few days later. Those very slight oxidative notes got a lot lighter with the second glass though. After all, this is a fairly individual wine, aromatically it has only very subtle similarities to Sauvignon Blanc, it reminded me more of the only Trousseau Gris I ever had in my life (2010 Wind Gap Trousseau Gris Fanucci Vineyard).

Does fairly young Fié Gris from the Auxerrois count towards this topic newhere ?

I’m planning on Spain tonight and Burg tomorrow

Man am I so glad we tanked that disaster of a theme from that Poseur down in Florida. I mean really, who drinks Spanish wine anyway . . . . Damn Cubans! :wink:

Well, I’m going Spanish tonight and will post on the 10.0 thread (perhaps Todd will keep it stuck up top too) and Saturday is another stone crab claw night, so while I own zero white burgs, unlike the rest of the Cali-centric heathens :wink: that took their toys and went home on the Spanish thread, I will go find a decent white Burg while down in Miami. I may be PM’ing some of you for advice as I know nothing about white Burgs other than they are dark yellow in color, right?

Charities win! Two charities get money this week!

Charlie- i’d be curious to hear who asked you to post a second theme… The Spanish theme seems to be moving along just fine.

It was me, Gerard. Seemed like a slow start and got a few PMs from the regulars saying they were out on this one. Perhaps I panicked too soon, but seems like there is room for both since themes are so different. I had already asked Fu to do next week but this week fit his schedule better. Sorry if I screwed anything up

This will be your epitaph.

Well now it’s a contest. GO!

Fidel Castro.

So white Burgundies are also in play until Feb.6 or through Feb.5? I will be opening another Spanish red for Super Bowl weekend but could open a white Burgundy on Tuesday probably or maybe Monday. I might check in on a Chablis from 2008 or earlier hoping that the one I pick hasn’t suffered from premox. (I will be opening a Puligny-Montrachet Feb. 22 at a tasting and fundraiser. Generally, I prefer Puligny and Chassagne wines over Meursault.)

I believe it’s thursday to thursday? I’m not 100% sure. That was my understanding from what I was told.

2008 Raveneau Chablis ‘Chapelot’: There’s sprig of mint on the nose along with a big squeeze of lemon. In the mouth it is rich and layered yet so precise. There’s a dollop of butter and a big splash of salty sea water. The finish is a cold steel blade, razor sharp.

That Raveneau sounds ravishing!

We’ve been switching themes early Thursday so people can poke around in their cellar or head to the wine store.

It’s all in the name of good fun and charity so running them both is terrific. Yes, Robert panicked. [wow.gif]

Fu will pick the person to run the VTS next week so he can go ahead and PM that person any let know now so they can start thinking about a theme for February 6th. When they start the thread just PM Todd to make it sticky. We are off and running.

Headed to Miami now, Mojitos by 9!

Major flight delays, so skipping the wine, going hard!

say hello to lebron for me.

This showed up today so I took out some premox insurance from Pobega Mutual. champagne.gif
slurped some local oysters and then golden tilefish and linguini with a chive and chervil butter sauce.

• 2011 Sebastien Dampt Chablis 1er Cru Côte de Léchet - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (1/31/2014)
    A little musty on the nose on first pop but the fruit takes over. There is some tropical pineapple and bitter, pithy lemon. It has a rich fatness which leads me farther south. Perhaps, with some age, it will become leaner and more mineral but even so it is a nice drink.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the topic M. Fu

great choice with oysters! Gonna go heavy on oysters tmrw with the white burg. Can’t wait :smiley:!

I’m in, even getting the Dr Mrs to have a glass with me tonight. When I told her it was for the dogs, she said that is no way to talk about Charlie, and I had to correct her and say it was inspired by Charlie’s dog.

Off to chill and open: 2008 Domaine Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets