Vermouth!! Finally launched

That is known as a Martinez.

Yep, sweet vermouths apparently are north of 10-12% residual sugar, and dry vermouth is under 4% (but hardly ever completely dry, hard to know exactly because most recipes are kept secret). We’re right around the 4% range but a bit higher because we have a fairly high bitter (wormwood and others) and herbal component in addition to the floral and fruit botanicals.

Right— I was just channeling the whole Churchill martini trend which I have adhered to and seems prevalent around our friends. From Difford’s Guide “ Legend has it that Sir Winston Churchill liked his Martinis served without the vermouth actually being added to the drink, just present in the same room. He is quoted as saying of the drink, “Glance at the vermouth bottle briefly while pouring the juniper distillate freely.”

1 Like

If you have not seen it, you might find this article from 2017 NYT interesting and I’d also suggest a look at Matthiasson’s page on his vermouth since he is quite informative about his approach … then taste his since it is delicious!

1 Like

More thread drift: Andrew, I had no idea that Vermouth del Professore was available in the U.S. What’s your source?

1 Like

La Maison du Whisky :wink:

Well, in that case, next time I’m in Sammamish I’ll be grabbing a spare bottle from you! [cheers.gif]

I lived in Paris (recently) for a couple of years. My supply is tapped, and COVID hasn’t helped things from a restocking perspective.

1 Like

There are loads of Spanish Vermut worth exploring.

4 Likes

Thanks! Eric A does a great job explaining the vermouth ethos. I have definitely been inspired by Bianca Miraglia “Uncouth Vermouth” and have tried hers (great interview on the “I’ll Drink to That” podcast). Will check out Matthiasson, but I like Bianca’s quote: “It should be a creative exploration of whoever is making it” [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Indeed! [cheers.gif]

[wow.gif]

I would have a blast just taste testing through all of those

I swear, you’re on the short list of people I want visit and drink/eat with!

1 Like

Ha. Please come. But we drank those in a couple of weeks.

Lockdown!

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with people drinking ice cold, dilute gin. No need to pretend it’s a martini.

Also, a NYT article on blanco vermouth especially Dolin https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/dining/vermouth-blanc-bianco-cocktails.html
In PA, the state only carried Dolin rouge and blanc. Now they carry all three but have yet to seen the dry in a 375.
Ordered a martini at Eddie V’s and they only carried the Dolin blanc as a “white” vermouth. Really bad and warm to boot.

2 Likes

Those Vinum days…hard to break away. I’m lucky to have sold Carpano for quite a while and their new Clasico, Bianco, and Extra Dry line are really best value/quality IMO. Dolin is a bit too cloying personally.

As to the topic, if you’re looking for inexpensive Vermouth, Cinzano always came out best in taste tests. If you’re willing to branch out Routin, Lacuesta, Mancino, and Yzaguirre offer interesting alternatives.

Its becoming more popular as a stand alone along with a cocktail enhancer…I quite enjoy Vermouth and soda.

3 Likes

Thanks for the NYTimes article. Hadn’t seen this one. My thinking to date is that my base wine will be a rosé to visually represent that the recipe is between the red and the dry (similar to what is described in the article for the blancs/biancos). Also it’s beautiful in clear bottle and sets us apart a bit…

A couple of points:

Red vermouth does not necessarily mean ‘sweet’ vermouth. There are red vermouths that are drier and I tend to prefer them. Carpano Antica is much too sweet for me. Also, ‘red’ vermouth is not necessarily made from red wine-Lustau is sherry based and Montanaro uses a Marsala base.

Secondly, as Kris mentioned I think with more boutique gins like David’s product a selling point should not be how it works in classic cocktails-people should be encouraged to drink them stand alone or in a more refreshing style of cocktail where the vermouth is the focus as opposed to being an adjunct. Americans tend not to drink vermouth this way enough.

2 Likes

When I’m “not drinking” I’ll have vermouth and soda in a tall glass. In reading thru some of this it doesn’t necessarily seem like David is producing Vermouth, more of an aromatized wine akin to Lillet.

This category needs to figure out how to get 2 or 3 oz. in a glass, not 0.5 oz.

I’d be looking to partner with a craft soda producer.

Kris,

Are you familiar with St Agrestis out of Brooklyn? They have really taken off. They started with an amaro, moved into RTD cocktails, and now have an apertivo and RTD spritz.

That is definitely the way to go!