Vermouth!! Finally launched

Thanks— I think you’re right, it will be easier to market through bars and restaurants. It may just sit on a retail shelf forever unless I can schedule in-store tasting events (hopefully in 2022; dare we hope for Fall 2021 even?)

Negroni also (red vermouth) - not sure of the demographic on that. My go to summer cocktail.

But I mostly use in cooking (dry vermouth) , various dishes : Veal Marengo, Seafood pasta (loosely derived from Scampi Provencale) etc, a lot of dishes as an alternative to white wine.

1 Like

Just FYI, not all tourmaline are rose colored. The most famous of them all, the paraiba, is a glowing bluish green.

2 Likes

Yes good point! “Can be rose colored” [cheers.gif]

Our recipe is great in a Negroni among others, and neat or on ice with a twist of lime. “Best Negroni I’ve ever had” said a cocktail-loving friend, so I think we’re on the right path [cheers.gif]

I had the chance to try David’s vermouth last night. Wow!

What an eye opener. So different than “my father’s vermouth.” I am a big fan of a classic gin martini, where the glass gets to see the Vermouth bottle, but that is about it. As a result, Vermouth last a LONG time in my house, and I usually end you throwing out 2/3 full bottles. This is a totally different beast, and really enjoyable. Perhaps the closest thing I have is Cocchi Americano, which I also really like, but it is not a direct comparable.

David’s is absolutely something I would drink straight.

Still, David, I am curious to know: would you use it for mixing? What would you mix with it? It seems more suitable to a Manhattan than a Martini, but wondering if you have any other ideas? (Sounds like Negroni is the way to go, based on the above comments!)

1 Like

Dolin is my go to Vermouth but would love to find a less mass produced one for sure.

1 Like

Thanks Mark! The goal is twofold: a great vermouth, in a classic regional, European style, has the complexity and flavors from the floral, fruit, herb and bitter botanicals that make a great aperitif on its own (chilled neat, or on ice, with or without a twist of lime). But also this vermouth should take a Negroni, Manhattan and other cocktails to new heights! I have a cocktail-loving friend who told me our vermouth recipe made the “best Negroni” he’s ever had. So I think we’re on the right path!

But yeah, the idea of a very simple vermouth “in the proximity of the gin” for a martini — or maybe a drop or two, such as rinsing the glass and discarding the rest — calls for a stripped down, simple vermouth with low aromatics. That will not be the Sun Break Vermouth for sure. I’m totally in this camp: I want the gin to shine in my martini.

Lots of Dolin and Cocchi references. Here a the tasting notes on these two (from JRobinson newsletter). Ours will be less sweet and we’ll keep the recipe somewhat of a secret, but it will not include vanilla : ) and no cinchona (which brings quinine)

Dollin: Savoie-based vermouth company using a recipe based on Alpine herbs and flowers. Lemon-white colour. Smells like crème anglaise with bay leaf. Very sweet. Richness and sweet vanilla, spice and texture corseted in a minty herbaceousness. Marzipan and white chocolate and peach jam, with a glycerol-like texture. Works better with soda water than the Noilly. But somehow makes a bit of a fat martini cocktail – the gin seems to accentuate the vanilla. Works much better with dry sparkling wine and a slice of orange. Went very nicely with a slice of stollen.

Cocchi Americano: Composed using the original 1891 recipe: white Asti wine, cane sugar, and alcohol infused with gentian, artemisia, cinchona, bitter-orange peel, elderflower and other herbs and spices. Jewelled citrine colour. A savoury, woodsy nose, with medicinal Varuna bark and pomelo peel. Sugary sweet lemon meringue followed by very bitter citrus and then delicate flowers. Full body, disjointed components. Definitely needs to be mixed.

1 Like

You should consider a Berserkerday offer for next year. I know I’d probably give it a try.

Now I’m wondering how it would do in an Americano…

1 Like

I’m not up to snuff on American geography. Isn’t Vermouth in New England?

2 Likes

+1

And yeah, I drink Negronis quite a bit, as well… although much less than when I was based in a Europe. Every airport lounge was guaranteed to have gin, vermouth and Campari. Of course I made my own cocktails at the counter :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nonsense, that’s just Gin with a drop of Vermouth, to me a Martini has to have at least 1 part Vermouth to 2 parts Gin. I WANT to taste the Vermouth. IMHO [cheers.gif]

1 Like

A classic martini has vermouth likely in a 1 to 3 ratio with gin. You may prefer a hint of vermouth, but that isn’t classic.

You are aware of dry vermouth I hope.

2 Likes

Some seem to be trying to make martinis with red, sweet vermouth. [scratch.gif] Wtf.

I guess you could drink it but, it’s not a Martini.

1 Like

“ But yeah, the idea of a very simple vermouth “in the proximity of the gin” for a martini — or maybe a drop or two, such as rinsing the glass and discarding the rest — calls for a stripped down, simple vermouth with low aromatics. That will not be the Sun Break Vermouth for sure. I’m totally in this camp: I want the gin to shine in my martini.”
Are you making a red vermouth, dry white, sweet white or 2-3 vermouths.

Was the Dolin reviewed the blanco or the dry?

More like, I was only aware of dry vermouth. I am well aware of what the recipe books say the ratio of vermouth to gin is in a martini. But, I also don’t know anyone who would ever follow that.

Not to digress into what a “Classic” martini is; the point is David’s vermouth is really interesting, and very good. And, not at all like the vermouth I find on the shelves of the local liquor store, and that is a good thing.

1 Like

Sure it is, regardless of what one bartending book or school says vs the next. Some of the old martini recipes call for dry vermouth with the addition of bitters and sugar (and other things), essentially turning the mixers into sweet vermouth.

It’s listed as the “Dolin, Dry Vermouth de Chambéry, NV, France”