Vermouth!! Finally launched

I’m not, but the Scrappy’s team build a spritz out here with Fasel Shenstone and Mancino. Good to see people trying.

Hear, hear! I can’t quite say it as well as the Jancis R newsletter so here ‘tis: “ In her evocative, fascinating and instructive article, How to taste vermouth, Arnica Rowan discussed how we need to take a different, broader approach when tasting vermouth. Exploring the wine for flavours takes the drinker down entirely new pathways – into the forest, across scrubland, to the seashore and into the secret room of the apothecary. This is wine, but wine with a mystical, medicinal mien. With vermouth, everything is more intense: colour, flavour, texture, sweetness, bitterness, aroma. Vermouth has an inbuilt acuteness, vehemence. It can be challenging for the novice, but thrilling for the adventurous.

It comes in a flamboyant spectrum of styles, from eye-wateringly dry, bitter and white to tooth-rottingly sweet, concentrated and dark, with almost every colour, combination and riff one can possibly imagine in the in-between. Whether you’re a strictly-wine-only drinker or a cocktail lover, there really is something for every taste in this curious-concoction universe.”

Yes, it can be flexible this way. Neat (only 18%ABV…) on ice, or as you suggest with soda or in cocktails. Ours will definitely be in the vermouth wheelhouse with bitter and herbal botanicals along with the fruit and floral. And one key secret is starting with good acidity in the base wine. Don’t get me wrong, I like white Lillet for what it is, but we’re not very close to this profile with the addition of bitters and herbal component layered on the floral and fruit [cheers.gif]

Dolin was definitely an addition from my days at Vinum. I still prefer it, but don’t use the Blanc much. That is a bit sweet for me. The Rouge is light on it’s feet(and relatively easy to find in rural Oregon) and it works well.

Haus Alpenz had some very cool product, many way ahead of their time, like Genepy, and were forward thinking with aromatized wine.

1 Like

Had some Vermouth at Trinchero 2 years back and it was really good.

1 Like

They actually sell it now, Trincheri Vermouth.

Currently have Dolin and Punt E Mes open. Prefer the latter for sipping and in a Negroni.

1 Like

I replaced my Old Fashioned with a Negroni about 2 years ago as my daily cocktail. Currently, I use Guerra Blanco Reserva for my pink Negroni and Padro & Co for my regular one.

As a sipper, I prefer Adi Badenhorst’s Caperitif. Also big shout out to a local product called: L’Amer from Clos Saragnat which is a deeply bitter apéritif cider.

1 Like

Anyone know of or tried D’Pampe Pamplemousse Vermouth? I was gifted a bottle by a distributor friend. Made in Napa. A rosato I assume made from grapefruit along with other spices. Have yet to open. 17%.

When I make a Manhattan those are my go-to’s as well. Really like Carpano and also really like Punt e Mes. They’re quite different, so not sure what that says about my preferences apart from appreciating quality and variety.

2 Likes

Sorry, no. I checked the JancisR newsletter review and they didn’t taste this one…

We have started importing several Italian craft vermouths, and I’m drinking them with great pleasure, particularly before dinner with soda or tonic. I never would have thought it 20 years ago.

1 Like

I’ve never seen the Lillet Dry which likely is an aromatized wine, the Lillet Blanc in the USA seems like a crappy version of pineau d anuis.

I’ll have to try vermouth with soda. Seems like you’d have to add less soda than an americano. Tonic as a mixer doesn’t interest me, too associated with G&T.

2 Likes

I tried David’s vermouth with soda water last night. First time I have ever tried vermouth and soda. Really nice, refreshing drink, with the added bonus of a lot of complexity. I will definitely be exploring this more.

1 Like

Right, I prefer soda. And a squeeze of lemon. I love Negronis but that’s a lot of alcohol to start off the evening.

1 Like

The Oiseau Rebelle BRMTH (in the small bottle) is very odd. Its orange, cloudy, full of pithy skin contact extract and dry (3g/l). It’s not technically a vermouth as it’s not fortified or infused, but it reminded the producer of one. 17% alcohol from spontaneous fermentation of Grenache Noir. Pricey at e33 per 50cl but worth investigating.
3EE55D21-1C35-4034-9344-0208C9CBDF9D.jpeg
(disclosure - I might sell this at some point)

1 Like

Has this hit the market? I am in the market for some vermouth and would love to go with a berserker.

Even worse thread drift now, but: I also love Negronis (and Negroni variations). But I also love the Boulevardier (itself a Negroni variation of sorts).

I most often drink Negroni in Spring/Summer and Boulevardier in Fall/Winter. In both drinks, I prefer 1.5 (or 1.75) parts Gin/Bourbon to 1 part Campari & 1 part Vermouth rather than the 1:1:1 “official” recipe.

Ultimately, Campari is just a badass liquor, especially for being such a mass-produced, commercial, ubiquitous drink. The color is amazing and the uniquely odd “base” flavor (ignoring some of the exotic components and the bitter/sweet aspect) is something between tahini/sesame seeds and peanut butter.

2 Likes