Up and Coming/Newly In-Demand Burgundy Producers

I think these types of threads would be a lot more successful if posters were more specific as to what they wanted. Putting Chantereves and Hubert Lignier on the same list makes no sense - one is a somewhat natural micro-negociant, the other is a very famous producer whose Clos de la Roche from the early 90s commands up to 3K for the right vintages. To me, up and coming suggests previously unfancied Domaines that are now making good wine. I’m not sure that describes Chantereves, but it in no way describes Hubert Lignier.

If, conversely, this is a thread about good “value” in Burgundy - I might put Hubert Lignier on that list (a producer I’ve been buying for a long time), but I don’t think I’d put Chantereves on it.

7 Likes

So since “up and coming” is somewhat ill-defined (must the producer be young or just less well-known?), I will just list a few stand-outs from my recent trip to Burgundy.

Dom. Georges Lignier was showing some very pretty wines (we mostly tasted the '21 vintage which has yet to be bottled). Very perfumed, red-fruited, and lithe. Less well-known than the rock stars of Morey but still perhaps an established name.

Dom. Michel Mallard. This was brand-new to me and I think very exciting! Larger-scaled wines mostly from Aloxe-Corton, Ladoix, and Corton. We tasted through much of his lineup and I still have dreams of his '17 Corton Renardes and '16 Corton Marechaudes. Not widely available in US yet, but I suspect this address will explode soon.

Dom. Vincent Latour. Really linear and precise Meursault, with a few ha of Chassagne and St. Aubin. A far cry from the battonage-heavy Mersaults of yore, these are laser beams of acidity and minerality but with enough weight to support. Vincent is a cool guy and I think the pricing isn’t crazy yet.

We visited many other more well-known and established addresses as well in both Cote de Beaune and Cote de Nuits (Hubert Lignier, Anne Gros, Chandon de Briailles, Bitouzet Prieur) but I figured those don’t “count” for the purposes of the thread.

3 Likes

“Domaine Marc Roy - stunning”

Curious, are you partial to the Alexandrine?

3 Likes

All of her wines are fantastic.

2 Likes

Haven’t had a lot of Alexandrine but as Michael alludes to they are all really good.
Wines like '17 La Justice are just so pure and detailed and so delicious, and 17 is not one of my favourite vintages.

5 Likes

By this argument, all red burgundy that is not Leroy is good value, which renders the concept meaningless.

2 Likes

You are all looking looking in the wrong place, try Germany or Oregon :slight_smile:

In Burgundy I am following Les Horees and Pierre Giradin (is he considered up and coming)?

2 Likes

My local shop where I bought a bunch of 19s told me they are getting basically zero 20s.

2 Likes

Girardin is awesome and still very available. Not sure how long that’ll last. I think ship has sailed on Horees availability and pricing.

3 Likes

We love Lou Dumont’s wines, he also has a fantastic story being a Japanese winemaker in Burgundy.
Michel Gay seems to never miss on their wines, Morey-Coffinet and Samuel Billaud make some amazing whites.

3 Likes

His 20 Suchots is like 250 a bottle, kinda pricey, anyone had it?

1 Like

Alright, so I’m realizing I should have perhaps split this thread into two parts. One would be newer “up and coming” producers and the other would be “which producers do you think will be the next to command exponentially higher prices as seen with Leroy, Bizot, etc.”.

Yeah, and beyond that it’s a very bizarre mix ranging from 20-something-year-old to almost 60-year-old winemakers, from growers who make huge efforts in the vineyards to those who work with herbicides and seek maximum yields, etc etc. One of the producers listed is actually an old domaine that stopped making wine as of this year, which is pretty ironic for an ‘up and coming’ producer.

5 Likes

William this is a fascinating comment. But how is one to know who is who?

1 Like

And then there are winemakers some of whose bottlings have recently become super expensive but who still make really good wines that aren’t that expensive (like Lamy). These threads generally devolve into wines people like - which is great, but mostly meaningless.

2 Likes

Heitz (he’s dropped the Lochardet) and Duroche are next to each other on the above list! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Aren’t those mostly the same? And a lot of the producers you listed wouldn’t fall into either bucket.

3 Likes

For some reason, I don’t feel like either Heitz or Clerget are realizing their potential. Producing good wines? Definitely. Anything outstanding? Not so sure.

2 Likes

Now that we are nitpicking, Perrot-Minot is not really up and coming in my book, and their prices are already getting stupid.

1 Like

Disagree.

1 Like