Up and Coming/Newly In-Demand Burgundy Producers

Michel Bouzereau

2 Likes

Clos de la Chapelle, Glantenay, mayve Stephane Magien. While prices are rising, most of my current Burg buying is in the less famous CdB appellations like Savigny, Auxey, Pernand-V (Chandon de Brialles, Camus Bruchon, Lafouge, etc).

2 Likes

Of those producers listed so far, which ones would you guys say are more traditionalist in their winemaking approach?

3 Likes

For me, I tried to categorize producers whom are lesser known or whose price hasn’t caught up with quality. I mean we surely can dissect Domaines by “breakout years” in this thread. Arnoux-Lachaux in ‘14/‘15 would be a great example of this, as well as more recent Damoy.

For me, Roty for sure!

1 Like

I finally got to try some Chantereves since they had a bunch in a Kyoto liquor store… I’ve had a terrible time finding it in the US and was very impressed with what I had in Japan.

3 Likes

Ugh, how could I forget Chantereves too :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

I think it’s harder to find spoofy Burgundy nowadays than it is a traditional one. I don’t have experience with all of them but from the OP, Lignier-Michelot, Perrot-Minot, and Vougeraie may lean modern to varying degrees, but it could have changed since I had them last.

1 Like

When I think of the term “up and coming” I think of producers who are younger - say 35 or younger or so.

For me, some of the producers that fit into this category where I have had their wines include

Charles Van Canneyt at Hudelot-Noellat
Armand Heitz
Thibaud Clerget
Camille Thiriet

1 Like

I think the ship already sailed on Duroché. '20s are at least 2-3x over the '17s when I loaded up on Champ and 1er.

3 Likes

Most of the producers mentioned on this list are well established.

1 Like

I like a lot of these suggestions, just echoing a few:

Chantereves
Horees
Felettig
Clerget
Heitz-lochardet
Marc Soyard
Berthaut-Gerbet
Cassioppee
Benjamin Leroux

some of them mentioned I think are great under-valued producers (like Voillot) but that I dont think are necc. up and coming. I almost hate to have threads like this for fear of not being able to get my hands on some of these anymore lol.

2 Likes

I mean, Arnoux Lachaux has been good for decades.

The price increases of late have a little bit to do with quality and a lot to do with demand/hype.

1 Like

So for this list, by “up and coming” I meant producers in which demand has not caught up with quality. For example, it’s safe to say Yvon Clerget would be considered “up and coming” in comparison to D’Angerville. While it must be nice to drink Roumier, Mugnier, Rousseau, Coche and Bizot all the time, one has to look elsewhere for “value” considering the prices of the more popular producers that are in high demand. Those “newer” producers are the ones I’m seeking out as their demand can certainly change over time as seen recently with producers such as Mugneret-Gibourg.

So the demand of Arnoux-Lachaux has nothing to do with Charles Lachaux taking over in 2012? Do we not see a correlation?

As I said, it has a little bit to do with quality and a lot to do with hype. I happily sold all my A-L and bizot for 5-10x what I paid.

2 Likes

The initial list has Hubert Lignier on it…

Weird. That wasn’t true in the UK.

Edit: I see you weren’t referring to Pierrick, who is the Bouley mentioned in the OP.

2 Likes

A lot of the producers you named have already seen big price rises. The list would have been better five years ago.

And, then, wineries like Alex Gambal and Dublere are no longer making wine. Blair retired and Alex sold this winery around when his wife died.

Not sure how Huber LIgnier gets on this list. They have been an established producer as long as I have been buying Burgundy.

2 Likes

I am always on the look out for value from emerging producers.
A few that are not really unknown but to me still offer great value and drinking.

Bruno Lorenzon
Lucien Jacob
Regis Forey - great quality, good value village VR, Chambolle and MSD
Lignier-Michelot
Durieul-Janthial
Domaine Marc Roy - stunning
Catherine et Claude Marechal
Jean Fournier Marsannays

6 Likes