Up and Coming/Newly In-Demand Burgundy Producers

After the rapid price increase of some producers over the past couple of years (Bizot, Mugnier, Mugneret-Gibourg, and Roumier just to name a few), which “lesser known” Burgundy producers do you all have your eyes on? For me, right now I’m looking at:

Alex Gambal
Arnaud et Sophie
Berthaut-Gerbet
Charles Van Canneyt
Claire Naudin
Coquard Loison-Fleurot
Douhairet-Porcheret
Drouhin-Laroze
Dublere
Duroché
Fabien Coche
Heitz-Lochardet/Armand Heitz
Hubert Lignier
Joliet
Joseph Roty
La Combe Grisard (maybe?)
Lignier-Michelot
Moron-Garcia
Odoul-Coquard
Pierre Damoy
Perrot-Minot
Pierrick Bouley
PVG (Pierre-Vincent Girardin)
Testut
Thibault Liger-Belair
Tortochot
Vougeraie
Yvon Clerget

Thank you all and Happy Holidays!

2 Likes

Very nice list, I’m familiar with most of the list, I would probably add Gouges to the list due to my weakness for Nuit St George.

1 Like

Lumpp?

2 Likes

I think Charles Van Canneyt, Pierre Duroche, Laurent Lignier, Pierre-Jean Roty and Thibault Liger-Belair would be somewhat bemused at being labeled “up and coming” producers.

Domaine Dublere was sold in 2019 or so, so I don’t think it’s particularly up and coming either.

7 Likes

If you like the wines, I think Roty is good value.

3 Likes

Ah. To clarify, by “up and coming” producers I also included those whom I felt price hasn’t caught up to its quality. I still maintain Roty is a good example of this. Also Charles Van Canneyt started his micro-negoce in ‘12, that’s up and coming in my book :man_shrugging:t2:.

Couldn’t agree more :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I was really tempted to include Chevillon for the same reasons you mentioned Gouges :relaxed:

well, it takes 20 years to become an overnight success.

2 Likes

What about something like Boris Champy?

2 Likes

Voillot, Glantenay, Duband, Georges Noellat

3 Likes

Raphaelle Guyot
Domaine Dandelion
Chantreves
Derain
Benjamin Leroux
Marthe Henri Boillot
Les Horees
Dubuet-Boillot
Moron Garcia
Antoine Petitprez
Vins Noe
Chris Santini
Grappin
Arnaud Lopez
Jeremy Recchione
Petit Roy
Marc Soyard
Maison Skyaasen
Ki Shiogai

We just did this though…

(I sell a few of these).

6 Likes

By no means my area of expertise but have liked (and find reasonable):

Henri Magnien
Jean Marc Bouley (though prices are rising!)
Felettig
Nicholas Rossignol
Maillard (only had white, and not up and coming but more under the radar, but excellent for the price)
Louis Michel
Bessin
Piuze
Chavy Chouet

3 Likes

as would Damoy where 1993 was the breakout year.

3 Likes

I think on Bouley prices have already risen. The ‘20’s are about 50% more than ‘19, and the wines are highly allocated now. Who knows whether he sells ‘21 or holds it back. I had thought that being beaune it might hold off the storm but it doesn’t look that way. The wines are great though.

2 Likes

Ugh, how could I forget Felettig :man_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Pierrick or Jean Marc? I’m a bit unfamiliar with the former.

Hadn’t seen the 2020 jump on JM, but guess it’s inevitable. Bummer as older vintages were a great value.

2 Likes

Bachelet-Monnot
Soyard
Lumpp
B Leroux
P Girardin

Some repeats from prev posts but that’s my list

1 Like

Some really excellent producers in that list. I could add more, but I am unsure of the criteria. Is it really “lesser known” (most all of the producers in your list are kind of “known” by many, maybe too many, already)? Is it price/value, like “producer who still sells Village level at €50/bottle” or “Pouilly-Fusse producer who still sells 1st equivalents for less than €40/bottle”? Or just “producer who has not steadily increased prices by double-digit percentages every year for the last 5-10 years”? Also (if it is allowed), it might be useful to nitpick some of the producers on these lists, as some of us have no doubt had some uneven experiences with them. But who knows where that discussion will lead between Burgundy berserkers.

1 Like

Thomas (Jean-Marc). There was a good price bump in 2019, but 2020 was much larger. And significant cuts to allocations.

1 Like