Turley allocations still meager

Anyone have any idea what happened with Turley allocations? The only thing I get offered more than a single bottle of is Juvenile and Old Vines. The single bottle offering has been going on for the last 3 or 4 releases. They used to be more generous with the SVD’s.

That’s weird; I always thought Turley allocations were humongous. Maybe they’re distributing their wines via retail channels to a greater extent than they used to? My LWS (out here in Northern England) gets the Juvenile and Old Vines, so perhaps there’s some merit to my guess … I dunno.

Since this is a 2010 release, my guess is we’re seeing the effects of that August heat wave that wiped out so many vineyards.

If there’s something specific you’re looking for, Brian, let me know. After Berserker Day I’m going very light on this mailer.

I’ve been a major buyer for years … and my allocations are still one or two bottles of most offerings. Solution - - wish list.

Turley is in the doghouse on WB. Not sure why. Stunning historic vineyards (truly some of the state’s greatest), one of the most imaginative approaches to vineyard siting and a gifted winemaking/vineyard management team (Ehren Jordan/Tegan Passalacqua).

The slim allocations that I receive tell me that others appreciate TWC as much as I do.

I was allocated 12 bottles, 3 each (IIRC) of the Juv and OV; then onesies after that. No Charbono (waaaa!). I’ve been on the list for 3 years, with case+ orders each allocation (except last Fall when I passed). Wasn’t sure how much of the shrinkage was due to me not ordering in Fall, but sounds like not too much.

I was driving through Paso on my way back from SLO two weeks ago, decided to pop into the Turley tasting room. I just tasted but they had basically every bottling from their most recent release for sale, up to 6 per person and I am not even on the list, just a drop in.

FWIW…

I’ve had very good success with the wish list. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever asked for something I did not get (though I’ve never asked for more than 3 or 4 of a particular wine).

I’ve emailed them about allocations in the past and they’ve told me that their oldest list members are allocated about 6 cases per year and that most folks are at 2 to 3 cases per year. I got allocated a case this go around but have always gotten whatever I’ve wish listed which is usually limited by my pocketbook and not demand.

Easiest way to get on the list is to stop by the tasting room and buy some wine…instant allocation.

My allocations have generally moved up slowly, and I’ve had good luck with wish list stuff unless it involved the white coat or the petites. I actually got offered a white coat and a charbono, which are both firsts.

There is definitely more retail access out there, as long as you accept at least some selection limitations. The best allocation would be showing up in Paso, where its usually all for sale.

The one catch to this is that the prices in the tasting room are marked up a little bit from what you pay on the mailing list, I think 10% for new releases and more for most library offerings.

Matt

My allocation had grown, then when I passed on a few bottles it went down. I am still passing on a number of items, but my allocation is back up to 30 bottles. I am planning on buying 24.

I have a few cases pin offsite storage since I have no more room for BBBs in my cabinets. (BBB = Big Bottom Bottles)

+1

I LOVE Turley wines, and have visited the winery several times on pickup day. The off vintages for Zin (03, 04, 05, 06, 08?) the wines were not showing well, but after aging a few years they are delicious. In my opinion, this winery has earned its stripes.

That said, and also being one who paid $60 for Old Vines at retail outlets, I learned a hard lesson. After years of 1-1-2-0-0-1-0-0-2-1-0-0-3 allocations (which made cellatracker hell) I realized this: If you go to the winery on pickup day, you can buy all you want just about. AND, you live in California. Make a weekend of it. There are worse things to have to do.

One year with a spread out allocation like that above, I came home from pickup day with 6 cases. You can also buy wonderful verticals of library releases, plus you get food and jazz and meet and greet and tasting just about anything they want to pull out of the cellar. Call them up to check that they still do this, but they are very friendly and I’m sure can help you out!

There is an advantage to living in CA. So if you want just a few bottles to get you through the year, have them shipped. If you really want to invest in Turley’s wines, make the pilgrimage. We’re glad we did. [cheers.gif]

Interesting as these wines are constantly available at auction for less than release prices.

inclusive or exclusive of buyer’s premium?

Please direct me to these opportunities as that is contrary to my experience.

I was on the list for the 1997-2003 vintages and bought every bottle offered which led to a quickly escalating allocation. The last couple of vintages I was getting offered 6 cases twice per year. That would equate to a bottle almost every 2 weeks for a year if I was drinking them.

Inclusive. For years we have been giving these away. Same goes for many mail list wines. Stuff like DuMol, Peay, Roar, etc. routinely goes for reserve or does not sell. I think the people who buy these types of wines do not think that the big auction houses have anything other than Lafite, DRC, etc.

I might have to ask my son, but I’m pretty sure that’s an example of “new math” right there… LOL.