Total Wine Pappy Offer

Received my email last Thursday. Landed a 20 year. Very thankful for the tips in the thread above! What a blur!

Eric, where are you located? Wondering if I missed the MD email

Congrats!

Did the listed price you paid above include the state of WA alcohol tax, or was that assessed when you checked out?

Washington, it was a little over $300 after tax.

It’s interesting because it is a big jump but it looks very similar to the original offer from last year (see the first post in this thread) before they had all the computer issues and revised the pricing down.

Little off subject here but do you all think that the price of Pappy will continue to rise or is it your belief that it has leveled off?

Georgia pricing was a little more than last year:

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year - $89.97
Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year - $99.97
Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 15 Year - $129.97
Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 20 Year - $199.97
Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 23 Year - $359.97
Thomas H. Handy Sazerac - $114.97
Sazerac Rye 18 Year - $114.97
George T. Stagg - $114.97
Eagle Rare 17 Year - $114.97
William Larue Weller - $114.97

I started trying to access the site at 9:00, after a couple of trys it loaded and by that point the Pappys, ER, and Weller were gone, I got a Stagg in the cart but it timed out on the final step. I did get an Old Rip Van Winkle 10, so I wasn’t shut out completely. I’ll probably end up sharing it with Bourbon drinking friends or look to trade it for a good Scotch.

Has anyone from Florida heard anything from Total Wine yet this year? I still haven’t heard anything, been grand reserve for a few years now.

Hmm. Good question. I was hit with $30 in taxes on top of this- which would be more than 20% by my math (local sales tax is 10%) so looks like any state taxes were in addition to.

Look at the after-market … retail prices still have a lot of upside before they level off

Thanks Mark, do you think the secondary market has leveled off as well or has that continued to appreciate year over year?

In my opinion (which isn’t worth much) I think we’ll see the price level off in the secondary. The bourbon hysteria can’t expand much more and every manufacturer is currently storing a few select barrels for 12, 15, 23, 25, who knows how many years. I think we will soon see a glut of these long dated products with Pappy being just one of many (albeit a high quality one). The original Stitzel-Weller bottles meanwhile will continue into the stratosphere.

I also don’t think the retail prices will grow too much and the reason for that is that, while I’m sure Buffalo Trace make a profit on Pappy, its real purpose is to drive sales of its other products. If Pappy gets more and more expensive to the point where it no longer creates a buying frenzy on release, it loses its appeal as an incentive for wholesalers and retailers.

Maybe both those takes are incredibly naïve, but I just don’t see either continuing the rapid rise we’ve seen.

Anybody getting though? Keeps crashing for me.

Crashing for me as well.

Crashing for me too. Not surprised, I bet CA added a bunch of GR members. I got as far as entering my offer code and then hung up there. No checkout page. Now back at picking a store with no stores popping up. I bet they reschedule again.

HTML email sent two days ago just got updated to say it’s being rescheduled.

So predictable. I don’t understand why e-commerce sites can’t get their act together. It happened last year, you added way more GR members, you have to account for the increased number of ppl that will log on all at once. They should just go back to just releasing it to stores and send out the surprise email.

Email just arrived stating same apology and date of next attempt TBD as the updated HTML email from a couple days ago.

As I’d mentioned previously in this thread, my suspicion is that this debacle is again more of a poorly written app situation, rather than lack of bandwidth and compute resources. TW doesn’t typically have many of these high volume surge type of events, and their IT organization likely reflects that. If they outsourced the writing of the code, then whichever outfit they worked with didn’t adequately test the app in conditions simulating the traffic load that happened this morning.

Do you think people who hit GR between now and the do-over will be in the pappys purchase? If so we may have even more traffic :stuck_out_tongue:

same thing happened with Lost Abbey - each year their web server would crash cause it wasn’t ready for the high volume surge.