TN: Levet '16, Fosse-Seche '11, Pecheur Vin Juane '91

X-post from excellent meal at Chambers: New York City Restaurants - Travel, Wine Tourism, and Restaurants Forum - WineBerserkers

Three excellent wines - all in a great place.

2011 Château de Fosse-Seche Saumur Les Tris de la Chapelle - This was a kaleidoscope. It started very floral. Then went stone fruit. Then tropics lead by pineapple. Then the pinapple was charred. Then a strong ginger influence appeared. Some sherry’ing came next. I saved a glass for the next day and it just kept going. Listed as big alcohol, ~15%, but I would not have guessed that. Was not boozy. Showed up as heavy bodied through and through. I can see others wishing for more lift/acidity here, but for me it was loveable as it was. A fascinating and complex wine.

1991 Pecheur Vin Juane (half) - The nose leaned over and grabbed me by the lapel. Something salty, something sherried, and underneath promise. The palate was surprisingly, given the attack of the nose, quite neutral with some floral and nutty notes - light salt candy. Clean. Had as an aperitif which, if I must say, was an excellent call.

2016 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie (Mag) - Oh golly. This made me stop in my tracks. This made me remember that wine can be not just delicious, but art. This re-reminded me how deep the world of wine is. Best Levet I have had to date. You’re going to love this on the nose or hate it: Animale, sauvage, black olives, olive brine, brett, earth held up with two hands, black and red fruit. There is no shyness, just UMPH. What follows is not as complex (maybe others would read as more “pure”) and thinner (but think age will solve) though with a nice lengthy finish. Go Go Go!

7 Likes

Do you remember which Levet cuvée it was? I cannot entirely spot it from the image.

Nice notes; thanks! I have some of the '16 Levet–Chavaroche, if that’s the one–so I now look forward to trying,

Thanks!

This was the cote rotie. The “house blend.”

1 Like