New York City Restaurants

gotcha.

if they don’t yet have a license, they cannot allow outside wine anyway. lots of folks do it because they don’t care about getting a license. but if you’re applying for one, it’s risky to start otf violating it. but these guys likely fall under the occupancy limits given how small it looks in the photo. still, probably not worth the risk given how arbitrary the SLA can be to restaurants.

place looks good though. seems there’s a known sushi strategy of opening with an artificially low omakase to get traffic and then raise prices later.

I am sure part of the strategy like Sushi by Maaser is to get you in an out in an hour.

1 Like

for sure, but that only works if you have another party behind you ready to go. i see that Yokox starts seating at 3pm! would be perfect for a bang-bang with pizza after.

This is one of the reasons we don’t love to eat at a sushi place on a Friday or Saturday night when we are looking for more of a night out.

Very true. I think Sushi by Maaser is the best value Shushi in the city but I typically go for lunch on Saturday when I am not rushed.

2 Likes

Another great meal at Chambers.

The service from the server to the somm is so welcoming and competent. I am not a “known” entity in the hip foodie scene, just a normal diner, and the hospitality one gets is excellent.

While I normally love to try a new dish, and am an adventurous eater, this is the one restaurant where I I can’t stay away from the chicken.

The wines were all exceptional. 1991 Pecheur Vin Juane, 2016 Levet, and 2011 Fosse-Seche.

This VJ, bc of the neutral finish, was a perfect aperitif. The nose was mouth watering with salt candy and sherry tones. The Levet was every thing you want - animal and pure and unafraid of itself. The Chenin was a kaleidoscope; I saved a glass for today and it has just kept going.

4 Likes

Have to get back there soon.

Thanks for writing up. I’ve been looking forward to eating at Chambers after having had my fair share of wine-dining at the previous version of the restaurant.

How was the food?

1 Like

Very welcome, Ramon. The food is quite good. None of it is “cheap,” but for NYC and the quality level - it’s responsible. Also, every dish opens up many many pairing options (I’m sure this is not an accident).

The menu does rotate so I’ll spare you anything outside this year.
The bread - sesame, good, touch clunky, nothing with which to wet
Hamachi - solid. the fruit is excellent, sauce tasty, fish fine or good. I am very harsh though with my ~sushi so probabl ignore me here. I only ordered this to play with my aperitif.
Castelfranco - delicious
Sweatbreads - well prepared, but heavy
As I mentioned, the Chicken is my favorite. Probably in the city. Deboned. Done flat, simple, succulent.
On this occasion, the Sea Bass was also excellent.
I did not care for the side dish of Rancho Gordo beans. The dressing and sauce were really great, but large beans with a textured interior do not “spark joy” - for me
Not having a sweet tooth, for food, I have not had much of the desserts, but my dinning companions always mention it as a highlight and the bites that I’ve sneaked have been excellent - long live bread pudding with goat milk ice cream

3 Likes

When I started getting into foodie dining, I consider Hearth as one of the establishments that (along with Momofoku Ssam Bar) pioneered the emergence of the East Village as the great foodie scene that we see today.

Just as before, the carefully-chosen and very fresh market-based ingredients are still the stars with our Easter Sunday brunch. Comfort foods that are well executed.

The shortened wine list continue to impress with reasonably-priced geeky gens.

4 Likes

god, i havent been to hearth since like 2007. its amazing its still there. going to terroir on 12th street in the late 2000s and early 2010s completely opened me up to wine.

5 Likes

We are heading to Hearth in a couple of weeks. I think they really do well in the spring with all the seasonal green market stuff like peas, ramps, favas, etc.

5 Likes

If you’re going to BAM then I recommend Margot as a pre-theater meal.

They have nice creative riffs on bistro food - the hiramasa tiradito, marble potatoes in herby aioli and bistro roast chicken were all delicious+ (but not outstanding)… , an OK-ish natty wine list, and this

Stephane and Benedicte Tissot, Chateau Chalon 2016 - for $25 a glass, which is a steal, given that the clavelin goes for $150+ retail

https://www.margotbrooklyn.com/menu

I liked Margot pretty well when I went last fall. In the immediate area I prefer Fradei, but both are worthy.

back to mary’s fish camp for possibly the last time. still a somewhat ornery staff but food awesome as ever.
pearl is gone and this one too in a few weeks and it’s a shame
if i lived in the neighborhood i’d be pissed
sitting at the bar and watching the pass, everything looks smells and tastes amazing
i hope they find a new spot

1 Like

Does anyone have recommendations for a restaurant that is ok hosting a large party without necessarily requiring a private event? A good friend is coming from Miami and wants to host clients, it’ll be 20 total. Last year I sent him to Bowery Meat Compay and they had a great time. I asked Chambers but they need a full buyout. I’ve also done Noreetuh in the past, which is great, but it may not be the right environment for this occasion.

Not sure if it’s the right vibe for his needs, but I did a large BYO dinner at One Fifth (used to be the Otto space) near Wash Sq Park a few weeks ago and they did a great job, standard menu no minimum spend etc. You can reserve a table for up to 16 online. There’s a whole back area that’s kind of out of the way, so it wouldn’t surprise me if you could reserve for 20.

2 Likes

Excellent, I’ll check it out. Thanks Rob.

Post skewers the new Boat House

I’m not a New Yorker but doesn’t the Post pretty much skewer anything and everything they possibly can?

1 Like