TN: I Still Hate Champagne

You shouldn’t apologize. Whilst the OP is allowed his opinion on champagne, methinks they were ready to be flamed and couldn’t appreciate the smile inducing humor in your post

Now, if you were to start singing the camp town races, we’d go fully into the hilariously absurd

This is overplayed. He doesn’t really consider himself a vigneron from anywhere. He has more of a New World mentality, he’s doing his own thing, something no one did before, in somewhere no one ever paid attention to. He’d like to see more people make great wine from “nowhere” (in the sense of regions and appellations that are not remotely celebrated), and hopes that what he has done has done something to break down glass ceilings in that regard.

3 Likes

You mean that, even though it derives from the 2017 vintage, it isn’t atrocious? Seems you, I, and Cedric didn’t get the memo [oops.gif]

2 Likes

What I thought was overplayed was the statement in the OP that “the winemaker also doesn’t like Champagne”. And two of the Roses that I offered him are 2014’s, which I believe you said were outstanding.

However, the rate of cheese rind goes up considerably with older bubbly.

Alex, feel free to ship any more exemplars of champagne forced upon you to me. I will quietly dispose of them for you(not a whisper here) and send you a basic description that you can layer over with hyperbole, and then declare publicly. All shipping costs at my expense…

I am with you Alex! I thought I was one of the very few people who disliked Champagne. For me the gas completely distracts from the taste of the wine and I don’t get anything beyond the fizz. I have had older Champagnes which lost their gas and liked them. But why would one go looking for flat champagnes when you can have white burgundies? When forced to drink champagnes I prefer blanc de noirs. To me champagnes are like Rombauer run through soda stream! :grin:

Because premox is less of a problem?

It’s too bad Alex doesn’t like Champagne, I have found that it pairs perfectly with ruthless sarcasm. Similar levels of acidity, dryness, and both capable of extraordinary depths and complexity when crafted well.

8 Likes

It also goes well with greedy acquisitiveness. :wink:

I, too, found the post quite amusing. Even if I love most of those champagnes and Bouchard.

Nor did the folks chez Ulysse Collin.

1 Like

well captured notes! Love Cedric. Your impression of Val Vilaine to Ursules is very accurate.

I’m more of a Ginger and Mary Ann type. Though Fred sings a mean Night and Day.

Last year I had the 2008 Bollinger La Grande Annee and it ruined my dislike of champagne. I loved that bottle, but unfortunately, nothing I have found that is more affordable does much for me at all.

Actually, what’s really played out is people who get highly allocated wines and try to flip them for a small profit just a few days later. But that’s just my opinion. You do what works for you.
Alex

Lots of growers, when describing their process, will say that they “look to make great wine first, not great champagne”. Which I think is meant more as a rebellion against the big houses and their perceived pursuit of a consistent mediocrity and lifestyle branding and lack of attention to terroir rather than a dislike of Champagne itself. They can always switch to making Coteaux Champenois, after all - though having tasted some of the efforts, I think I understand why they don’t.

Bouchard is one of my bigger holdings of Champagne, and I don’t think I’d describe any of his wines as resembling red Burgundy. If anything, I find the bubbles a bit too aggressive when young (other than on the Boloree, which I think is his best wine). I defer to William on his ideological approach, but having had his Blanc de Noirs, they’re not so outre for the region that they seem made by someone that hates champagne. Certainly producers like Marguet and Laval are less compromising to me.

As far as the Collin - I’ve had over a case of the Pierrieres over the past year, but I also suspect you had the extended aged version, and I think for that wine the extended barrel aging hasn’t made it a more exciting wine. I’ve always loved the Pierrieres as the laser focused wine in Olivier’s lineup, and I think it has lost a bit of that with the extended age; the first time I had it, years ago, I said that if Roulot made Champagne, it would taste like this (this was when Roulot’s 14s were out). The Roises and Enfers, which are very different wines, are spectacular with the extra age. Based on your preferences, I’m not sure you’d like them, though I also don’t think it matters.
This is where I would, jokingly, say “haha, keep saying negative things about Collin, would make it easier for me to buy!”, but Collin is, in my opinion, the best producer in Champagne and I’m delighted he’s now getting the recognition he deserves even if the wines are tougher to source.

As for the suggestion on this thread made by someone to look into “richer” BdB to mirror Burgundy - oh boy. Up is down, etc.

2 Likes

Really, no apple pie?

Do a search on Comerce corner and see if my name comes up anywhere. And apparently you don’t read so well; I’ve had the 2 2014s for years. If I was serious and I’m not, it would be 2.5x profit.

LOL Marcus. champagne.gif

Lol. There is that. But I can drink younger white Burgundy. I simply don’t have any urge to go out and get Champagne - old or young.

In 2019 I attended a François Auduoze dinner at the Perrier-Jouët cellars. They poured 2008 and a 1955! Séverine Frerson, their first female cellar master joined us too! I didn’t care for either of the champagnes but had to keep my mouth shut! :sunglasses: