TN: Dinner One: Karthäuserhof, Droin, Bouchard

Here are some notes from the first in a potential series of dinners. The idea is to open some wines for those newer to the hobby, so they can experience aged wines. Los Angeles Offline Series - Free Wine! . Three of us met at Kali restaurant for a delightful meal. The food and service where terrific. The wines were served blind, then revealed later during the food course. I had a great time with Kevin and Julie. On to the wines.

2001 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/18/2023)
Wonderfully mature that gains length and complexity with air. Was really showing well after about 3 hrs open. Initially shows some sweet apricot, quince. Petrol emerges and acidity becomes more evident as it opens. Long finish. Simply great and very food friendly.

2010 Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (1/18/2023)
Pours somewhat golden and definitely shows an aged quality from the get-go. Needed some air (1 hr) to crisp up a bit with the acidity lifting the stewed lemony and floral flavors. Definitely at the drink up point, but a nice wine.

1996 Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Grèves Vigne de L'Enfant Jesus - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (1/18/2023)
Pours a dark crimson with no noticeable bricking or faded meniscus. Starts off with a clear menthol scent that thankfully receded. What emerges is wonderfully complex aromas. Layers of flavors and aromas emerge. Black cherry, pine needles, slightly smoky and herbal. This has structure for days. The acidity has always been prominent in this wine but it's finally starting to integrate. Tannins are firm but not intruding. What a wine and a joy to drink. I will drink my 2 remaining bottles in the next 5 yrs.

5 Likes

Nice set of wines, and as always I appreciate check-ins on 2001s.

I remember when the Bouchard was quite affordable. Wish I had loaded up back then.

Was my first 6-pack purchase back when I was just getting a taste for Burgundy. This wine has been '96 angry for years, just now starting to drink well. Still have 2 left.

1 Like

sounds like a fun offline with great wines, I’m sure the food at Kali was great