TN: 2023 Julian Haart „J. J.“ Riesling Kabinett - more clues about 2023

2023 Julian Haart „J. J.“ Riesling Kabinett

What a charming entry level-Kabinett of the Julian Haart-portfolio. Grapes from the steep slopes of Piesporter Goldtröpfchen and Wintricher Großer Herrgott, Günterslay as well as Falkenberg.

It starts with a juicy fruit of apricots, nectarines, honey and jasmine blossoms. Lovely slim and elegant with 8,5%.
In addition the classic fruit-acidity-play and drinking pleasure of a Kabi. Of course it lacks of big complexity, but don’t forget it’s just the entry-level Kabi.

More importantly this basic Kabinett gives me more clues about the vintage character. And this Riesling confirms my impressions so far that 2023 is about clarity, balance, inner tension and freshness. The vintage clearly shows a more vivid acidity than in 2022. But not as sharp as 2021, more rounder. And I admire the balance or harmony of 2023.

BUT be careful the bottle is empty under 1h. :joy: Perfect food-wine for a spicy mid-week dinner. Good value for 15€.

9 Likes

Martin this looks really good, been trying to get more into riesling.

Careful - speaking from personal experience, the Riesling bug bites….hard….no better value out there if you like the varietal, keeps well in the fridge over multiple days, etc. I started buying a lot more and haven’t looked back…

3 Likes

Sounds a bit like 2002. Balance but not the wow factor of 01.

2 Likes

Quite a good comparison, Andrew. :+1:

I hope this is a good sign for the 2023 vintage which I have not tasted yet.

3 Likes

The 2023 collection chez Haart is one of the best and seamless I tasted on the Mosel. From bottom to top, he nailed it.

4 Likes

Lets hear about your overall 2023 impressions! Can’t wait!

@collinwagner

YES, I am interest too about your impressions from the vintage 2023. Let us know!

Collin please have your report on all 30 domains on Stephen’s desk by 9 a.m. tomorrow!

1 Like

Earth to @collinwagner

JJ is so good it makes me scared to try his “better” bottlings. I fear it may ruin me. Maybe a good thing they’re unobtainable.

2 Likes

No doubt, the „better“ bottlings especially matured are quite impressive.

I just watched at cellartracker regarding the 2022 vintage and it is notable that several people complained about the lack of acidity. I can assure you with the 2023 vintage you will find the acidity which delivers freshness and „drive&kick“ so to speak.

I am just not liking 2022 in the Mosel. I had two last night at a restaurant, a 2022 AJ Adam has’chen Kabinett and 2022 Wei-Ku Steffensberg which was so shut down it was hostile! The AJ Adam started off nice and had a bit of acidity and they just fell apart.

A recent Julian Haart 1000L was pretty good and had come nice acidity. I hope this come around…

1 Like

Seeing some ads on IG for Hofgut Falkenstein 2023 starting to hit retail abroad. I messaged @collinwagner after he did his trip and he told me the vintage seems to have a lot of similarities to 2020 but perhaps a little lighter/less muscular with a little more ripe fruit character (I already thought 2020 was light for my palate).

Has anyone tried non-Mosel dry wines yet? Obviously the GGs need time, but what about the entry or mid-level wines?

2 Likes

Will be in Franken this weekend and hope to try some 2023s.

Hardly any 23s are released yet.

Hmm, that’s not good news. I did enjoy the 2022 Meyer Nepal, but obviously that’s not Mosel. I have a Schaefer GD Kabi at the house, I’ll need to pop soon and see what I think.

But it looks like most of my 2022 Rieslings are outside of the Mosel - Donnhoff, Falk, Keller, Muller, S-F, Grunhauser.

1 Like

I like the 2022’s I had from Julian Haart and Hermann Ludes. Would have liked a bit more acidity personally, but they are still nice.