TN: 2022 Kelley Fox Wines Blueberry Wine (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

I decided to Pobega one seconds after its arrival. I’m not typically a “label” guy, but it’s a beauty, with a bear smelling a blueberry bush with bees buzzing.
It’s a fuchsia color with a bluish tint. Captivating subdued blueberry scent. Surprisingly dry on the palate, with subtle fruit in perfect harmony with acidic cut. Not surprisingly somewhat uni-dimensional, but I’ve rarely have I drunk a more joyful, quaffable wine. I ordered a few more.

Here’s the release note:

Kelley Fox Blueberry Wine 2022

I’m thrilled to offer you this delicious wine made of hand-picked blueberries grown on 35-year-old bushes on a local farm. This wine is a collaboration with my partner, Jim Anderson of Patricia Green Cellars, and we each have half of the total production. Blueberries are indigenous to this continent, and it’s believed that they are the first fruit that emerged at the end of the last ice age. Blueberries have been used for both food and medicine for centuries and are known to be packed with nutrition and anti-oxidants-but mostly, they are wildly delicious.

Jim and I produced this wine in the same way we produce our single vineyard Pinots: small lot fermentations, one pigeage a day (by me), pressing at dryness, and élevage in neutral French oak Burgundy barrels until racking to tank in preparation for bottling.

As soon as the cork is pulled out of the bottle, wonderful aromas of fresh blueberries fill the room. One would think that in the glass, then, that it would be overwhelming. Not so. It has an immensely pleasing, refreshing blueberry aroma that is fine-not clunky or overbearing. The youthful, bluish red colour is deeper than that of my Pinot noirs, but the wine is brilliantly transparent, full of movement, and has a silky texture like grape wine without any viscous heaviness. The acidity and structure beautifully support the fruit and this wine is far from simple. Blueberries love growing here, and I can’t imagine an Oregon summer without our berries. So here is some Oregon summer for you in a glass. I hope you enjoy this wine as much as Jim and I do!

Farm location: Willamette Valley
Picking Date: 10 August 2022
Élevage: 8 months in tight-grained, neutral French oak Burgundy barrels
Bottling Date: 26 May 2023
Alcohol: 11.0 %
Cases Produced (Kelley Fox Wines): 88

9 Likes

Thanks for the note Warren! Picked up a 6 pack from the release email based on Kelley and Jim’s skills, that and Kirk Grants many ravings over the years about the Bartlett wines :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cellartracker is all fucked up on this wine and I’m responsible. @Eric_LeVine

The producer is Kelly, not PGC?

Clean up on isle 5

2 Likes

In my defense, it’s definitely non vintage.

Legally, can’t have vintage blueberry wine in Oregon

2 Likes

Both PGC and KF made this wine from a shared batch of berries.

Same producer? Kelly?

I created this entry and now others are using it…

Back label says “This wine was made by Oregon winemakers Kelley Fox and Jim Anderson……” then “Produced and bottle by Kelley Fox Wines…” That doesn’t rule out Jim bottling his own…Sorry I can’t help more than that!

Can confirm that Kirk is spot on about the Bartlett wines! Grabbed a few based on his reco and they’re delicious!

Thanks for the note on this one - it sounds excellent!

1 Like

From her release email:

I’m thrilled to offer you this delicious wine made of hand-picked blueberries grown on 35-year-old bushes on a local farm. This wine is a collaboration with my partner, Jim Anderson of Patricia Green Cellars, and we each have half of the total production.

Jim and I produced this wine in the same way we produce our single vineyard Pinots: small lot fermentations, one pigeage a day (by me), pressing at dryness, and élevage in neutral French oak Burgundy barrels until racking to tank in preparation for bottling.

So I believe Jim at PGC is releasing the exact same wine. But I think two entries in CT is fine, and it might be funny if the results are very different.

Is this correct @Jim_Anderson ?

My bottles are from PGC. Here’s the back label:

1 Like

Looks like even the font is the same. :smile:

PGC is definitely releasing this as well, just tasted it with them last Wednesday and talk with @Jim_Anderson about it as well. Bought a couple bottles, I think it’s great and can’t wait to blind some friends on it.

Aisle 5 is accessible by emailing editors@cellartracker.com.

So I forwarded this there.

Let me get this straight. This is a Blueberry Wine? Made by two winemakers? With competing bottlings? Really?

The wine is exactly the same. The only thing different is the Produced and Bottled By on the label.

To be able to sell this wine in the manner we thought would work best for both our situations we split it in two. That way she can sell “her half” primarily to distributors and I can sell “my half” primarily directly. You can buy it from her but it’s no different in any way.

3 Likes

The triplicate has been merged into one on CellarTracker. In the future please click REPORT A PROBLEM WITH THIS WINE on CT. There is a link on every wine detail page.

4 Likes

Kelley & Jim. Very cool. Congratulations.

@Kirk.Grant :clap: :clap: :clap: :blueberries: :blueberries: :blueberries:

Sorry for the hassle! For us to be able to sell this efficiently we had to have two labels as I can’t ship “her” wine to folks buying it here at PGC and she can sell “my” wine to her distributors. We have to have COLAs approved by the government and based on those there are restrictions to what we can do. Think of it as like a metiyage arrangement except where both people made the wine.

1 Like

No problem Jim, totally understand.
My slight crankiness is for Brig, since he is a CT pro. :wink:

(It is easier if people tell us on CT when there is a cleanup rather than me keeping an eye on WB and other bulletin boards. Just want to make sure we are being responsive.)

3 Likes