Tn: 2016 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py

I often find Thivin to be Gamay personified at it’s absolute Beaujolais best, whereas Foillard often fools me into thinking outstanding 1er Cru Pinot.

I have the 2014 open right now and love the minerality.

This thread is making me want to pull a Foillard tonight. Won’t be a '16 because I don’t have mine yet, but I’m pretty sure I have others at home.

2016 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (2/24/2019)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 3 hours –

NOSE: typical for this bottling: carbonic, and red-fruited; high-toned with a savory aspect; expressive; hint of butterscotch off a pour that had been in the glass for about 30 minutes.

BODY: slightly hazy garnet color of medium to medium-deep depth; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: campfire smoke at first; very light, fine, gentle tannins; high acidity; alc. not noticeable; strawberry Jolly Rancher and savory cranberry; maybe a tiny hint of brett; not as ripe/glossy as some vintages; Pinot-like; this is excellent; started closing down about 3 hours in; score was a bit higher the first couple of hours, so my score might ultimately prove to be conservative. No shame in drinking now, but I see upside. Drink or Hold.

50, 5, 12, 17, 8 = (92+ pts.)

The Foillard Cote du Py is now one of my favourite wines. I am in the minority, as I prefer (at least for right now) the 2015 to the 2016. While I found most 2015 Beaujolais to be overripe, overdense, and in many cases undrinkable (Thivin Cote de Brouilly, I’m looking at you), I found the Foillard to be nearly perfect, with great complexity and terrific drinkability. By contrast, while the 2016 is certainly delicious, I find it to be just a bit too tart at this point. (Unlike some others, I find the 2015 has sufficient acidity, though on the low side for Foillard). I suspect that bodes well for the future (and I bought several magnums…still available online at Winex), but for now I’m happy to drink my '15s and I’m totally looking forward to the 2017 to arrive. I’m guessing the 2016s will be perfect in about 3-5 years…possibly more, though I have no real history of drinking aged Beaujolais, so this is pure guesswork on my part.

As a side note, I just had a delicious 2017 Charly Thevenet Regnie Gran & Granit the other day. This is one I will definitely start following and it reminded me quite a bit of a Foillard in complexity, though less elegant as it is also quite fruity, floral and powerful compared to Foillard.

I got a nice offer on the 2017 Foillard Cote du Py, and decided to grab it before the scores come out.

What’s the price on the CdPy these days? 16 & 17?
TIA.

WS Pro has the lowest prices as:
2016: $36
2017: $32

I just paid a bit less than the lowest WS price from JJB.

Great description!

The 09 Foillard is terrific juice and has years and years of life ahead of it. I may be in the minority, and there is a wide variety of quality to my taste in even the top producers, but I think the 09s are legends in the making. Like the 47s as some producers have said. I’ve also had a few top tier producers that have lost their sparkle, I’m afraid. I look forward to trying the 16s.

Talk about consistency across vintages … I looked at my 10 TNs in CT for this bottling. They span 5 vintages.
2016 10.0% Notes (1) / Views (616) / Helpful votes (5) / Avg. 92.0 pts. in 1 rating
2014 20.0% Notes (2) / Views (6,927) / Helpful votes (1)
2013 10.0% Notes (1) / Views (3,112) / Avg. 92.0 pts. in 1 rating
2012 10.0% Notes (1) / Views (2,136) / Helpful votes (1)
2011 50.0% Notes (5) / Views (14,359) / Helpful votes (1) / Avg. 92.0 pts. in 1 rating

Every time I’ve rated this bottling, I’ve given it 92. And I give a "gut impression " score in one of my 2014 notes — you guessed it! 92 points.

Drunk side by side tonight:

High toned nose of forrest floor, a touch of mint, violets, and cherry.

Lovely and seamless on the palate with a weight that floats across its length. Red fruited (mostly strawberries) with a hint of salinity, and a long crisp finish. Shows some fine grained tannin at the end but this is in a really appealing place right now, i see no need to hold (but it should last another 3-5 years).

A like the style in this vintage… very appealing quite sexy beaujolais. (92 pts.)

High toned nose of and a touch of raspberries, dried herbs, blue flowers, a touch of smoke and a hint of acetone.

Delicious and resolved palate of crunchy and sweet red fruit, lots of mid palate acid, and a weightless but strong finish. Also ends with a ferrous and ever so bitter note.

a very fine beaujolais. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Usually I would agree, but the 2012 is the opposite by a wide margin.

The 2017 Côte du Puy just hit the shelves here in Beaune, and I have a bottle open in front of me. It’s richer than the 2016, showing warmer, sunnier fruit tones on the nose—strawberry preserve, dark cherries and licorice—though some lovely floral top-notes are emerging with air. The tannins seem just a touch drier and firmer out of the gates, though I doubt that the difference will be pronounced after another year in bottle. Very nice wine and there isn’t much in it between this and the 2016, but I would give the latter a slight edge based on this first, informal encounter.

Very helpful, thank you!

Thanks for your note, William. I have some Corcelette on order; will be interested in your thoughts on that wine as well.

Just ordered our case of 2017. I think I’ll open the first bottle from our case of 2014 tonight to celebrate.

I’m visiting in early June, will try to remember to post.

Please post your thoughts, Sarah. I have a bunch of that in off-site, as well as the 13 and 15. [cheers.gif]

I drank the 2014 over 2 nights and found it good, not great. It was pretty grapey upon opening, which is my main complaint about a lot of gamay, and is one of the reasons why I don’t like Beaujolais all that much in general. Foillard’s Cote du Py is the only one we buy anymore. I found the '14 lighter bodied than some vintages and not as snappy or juicy. We loved the 2013, for comparison’s sake. Haven’t opened any 2015 yet.