TN: 2004 Kirwan, Margaux

The older I get, the more I like wines from Margaux. The 1985 Brane-Cantenac, for example, offered the most spectacular nose I have ever had. The medium-bodied 1990 Rausan-Ségla displayed the most shocking elegance I have noticed in recent years. And the 2006 D’Issan is the best-balanced claret I have had from this vintage so far…
It is not only the inimitable, unbeatable Margaux fragrance which thrills me, it is also the classic subtlety, delicacy, finesse, elegance, and understatement in combination with moderate alcohol and subtle tannins. And the 2004 Château Kirwan, too, offers all these characteristics, delicate black berry fruit, subtle nuances, excellent precision, and a long mineral finish. It can be sampled with great pleasure now, but a few more years of cellaring will not do any harm. The next Margaux will be a bottle of 1999 Rauzan-Gassies.
2004-Kirwan.jpg

1 Like

It’s funny you say that, Rudi, as Margaux used to be my least favorite appellation. As I have gotten older, I have better appreciated the unique fragrance and elegance that some Margaux bring.

when u get that aroma and those svelte velvety margaux berries…pure heaven

Lovely. I agree that Margaux’ delicacy can be beguiling. Another performing 2004

1 Like

I believe Marc Frontario has this expression (and most other accolades for the 2004 vintage in Bordeaux) trademarked.

1 Like

I bought a license

:slight_smile:

to me

margaux berries are like velvety black raspberries

i remember a bottle of '03 d’issan i popped with Alfert a few yrs back…i think i sniffed all the nitrogen and oxygen out of that glass and the entire county b4 i drank it
…incredible aromatics

Agree about Margaux. I like them more as I have gotten older, although, to be fair, I think that a lot of Margaux estates have upped their game since I was younger.

Another village whose wines I have started liking more as I have gotten older is Pessac.

love those pessac’s espressing that unique rustic gravel characterisitic

the first wine that opened my eyes to this was the '01 SHL…
I said to my self, “wow, I’m drinking rocks and slate,” …Haunting

'01 and '04 are truly wonderful classic bordeaux vintages that I seek out

Same here!

Pauillac is still the king.

And Margaux the Queen. :slight_smile:

who is the Jack?

or should Pauillac be the Ace? :slight_smile:

I agree reg. Margaux - when it´s performing it´s definitely fine …
(but a lot of underperforming Chateau in the past …)

I haven´t had the 2004 but the 1999 KIRWAN a few months ago, and this is also outstanding … and maybe with the necessary additional amount of maturity … something to seek out - and not very pricy …

I believe margaux did fairly well in '99

I was not that impressed with the 2000 Kirwan

The 2003 Kirwan is - amazingly - an excellent one too. It doesn’t have any of the bad attributes some 2003’s show.

Thanks for the update on this.