TN: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

My money is on the 2012.

While we would all probably rank vintages and ageability differently, I wouldn’t bet against Prum at all Pradikat levels from 02, 04-05, 07-10, 12, and 15. I haven’t tasted 11, 13-14, 16-18 so not sure there yet, and I just haven’t cared for 06 generally given the bounty of other strong vintages, which is why I skipped it. If really looking for something structured somewhat like 01, my votes would be 08, 12, and 15. I also have faith in 10 if you are an acid freak like I am and am listing it separately because it was a notch more intense.

Thanks all for the vintage recommendation. I’m situated well with 05s, thankfully. Regards.

I am also an acid freak and love 2010s, esp. at the Auslese level. I have not tried any of my 2010s from Prum, but I have truly loved GKA from Schloss-Lieser and Reinhold Haart. Wish I had bought more 2010s.

I’m a Riesling bottom feeder and abuser - I drink mostly entry level kabinetts with very spicy southeast Asian food. I lucked into a few each 2001 Prum WS Auslesen and Spatlesen. What shall I pair them with?

Other than spicy Asian food, I like ham or other smoky meats. Auslese and cheese is lovely.

A JJ Prum Spatlese with some age and Thai food is heaven.

Thanks gents. Perhaps I’ll just dial down the spice a bit. I worry that my usual ‘level 10’ will hide any nuance in the wine.

Yeah, that’s a likely outcome.

I struggle to match wines with spicy food because the acid makes the spice so much stronger. I’m a huge fan of pork chops with riesling though.

Yes, I’ve seen some of your other awesome notes on Burgs and bubbles…just had to tease you a bit. I totally get the finesse and elegance comment. At least with wine…I’ve never been accused of having either myself!

I just checked CellarTracker and I have at least one bottle of Prum left from

2001-2005
2007-2010

The vintages I currently have the most Prum from are 2005 and 2012. The 2012s are all half bottles of either Auslese or GKA. I saw them at a very good price and bought them.

Try one of those 01 Prums with insalata caprese this summer.

For me:

1996-1998
2001-2008
2018 (no delivery yet of course)

11.5 cases total. And, alan, by “case” i mean 12 bottles. That is (or at least was) how many bottles of wine in a german case of wine.

Not sure why nothing from 2009 other that might have been when i thought “I have too much german wine” - as if there were such a thing!

not all.
4D66D17F-DAE8-46A5-BA0B-94650D4BD0A9.jpeg

And I have 18 bottle cases from Prum!

18 bottle boxes are quite common in Germany.

I was tempted to post my Prum cellar, but it would either look like bragging or hoarding. :slight_smile:

Same here, though I don’t have the goldkap/auction stuff that you have. Have enough Auslese for several lifetimes though.

Really? Aren’t they heavy to lift?

Yes! Quite.

love to see it!