TN: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

Just means you need to buy twice as many. [cheers.gif]

Howard you’re not wrong.

Of course you should try one! You have a dozen. Time to get a read on it!

Wonder how the 1990 is doing. Maybe time to try one.

just a 6 pk

Drink one Doc…right now! Let us know…

Buzz, when did you start drinking German Riesling? Back in the old days you only drank big CA wines :slight_smile:.

hitting a red Burg tonight. Another time.

Hi MM…nice to see you here! Been awhile. Still enjoy an oooze monster here and there…but after being sucked into the Burgundy vortex…it’s all about finesse and elegance now! Love the pretties… flirtysmile

But really…I love it all! [drinkers.gif]

That was the first Prum I ever had [the Spaetlesen didn’t arrive until a few months later], and the stench of it was just a little overwhelming for a newbie.

The rubber & petrol aromas could turn a neophyte’s stomach.

Petrol I can see. Rubber? No way.

Never had a not great JJ Prum. Vintages from 1975 to 2017. That goes for Kabinett and Auslese too

Alan, greetings to you. I drank a bottle of the 2001 JJ Prum WS Auslese last week. Superb. I note that your questions was from 2009 (where have the years gone?), but thought to mention it anyway. Happy weekend.

[cheers.gif] 2009?

For my money, JJP W-S Spat is the best-value wine on earth.

Question for the experts here: What other vintages post-2001 are likely to have a similar longevity? I tried a number of 01s and have been amazed how little they moved on from their youth. I’m wondering about the other vintages I’ve purchased. I’d prefer not to make the same mistake that I made with the 01s - buying too few and drinking them too early. Gracias.

So IMO the 2001s are a little bit singular in style and slow evolution in this century. That being said, 2005, 2012 and 2015 would be my first choices for going long and aging. 2010 could be a contender, but I worry about the balance tipping too far towards acid over a very long cellaring. On the other side I would not count out 2007 and 2009.

This does not mean that I am disparaging other vintages. Prüm is about as consistently excellent as any producer on the face of the earth. I am just highlighting my favorites for a long and profitable aging curve.

Thanks for the TN Buzz. Still waiting on my 2001 JJ Prum WS Spatlese and Auslese bottles to be shipped to my storage unit here from auction purchases earlier this year.

Then, you probably should not be buying them.

Howard - Claus threw a double negative in there.