The label for 2017 Mouton is, well, titillating

If the Mouton label gets through the ATF, it will amazing.

I’m sure there are many folks here who are too young to have heard about the brouhaha about David Goines’s proposed label for Kenwood’s cabernet back in the 70s, which the ATF deemed “obscene.” The regulation allows the ATF to ban obscene labels, but not things the agency deems tasteless or merely racy. That hasn’t stopped them from nixing labels with nipples over the years, however.

The ATF said that Goines’s original illustration showed too much flesh. Goines then drew a skeleton in the same posture, which the winery submitted for approval. The ATF banned that on the ground that it might be construed as a tasteless reference to fetal alcohol syndrome. The final label had no woman.

I was in Turkey recently and saw the marvelous mosaic below in the anthropology museum in Antakya (Antioch), which I think Goines must have been familiar with. Contrary to what you might think based on the chalice and the wine amphora, it is not a warning about the dangers of alcohol. The inscription in Greek means something like, “Life is short. Enjoy it!” I dare someone to put that on a label!
IMG_5600 - skeleton mosaic.JPG

Somehow, this one made it through the ATF:
981189.jpg

Just further evidence of our moral decline as a people.

How come there are never any naked boys on these labels?

I’m reserving judgement until I see it at cellar temperature.

I’m not sure, but perhaps 1973?

We’re just milking it at this point.

I dunno. They are objectifying breasts and associating them with alcohol. I think Berkeley already banned it.

The label is quite mammorable.

This thread is tits.

Naked Grape Winery must be very interested in this …

I have to imagine that this harms the wines value to some degree. Probably more difficult to open and enjoy in mixed company / a formal setting?

For the win!

I cannot wait to take a nip, I mean a slip, I mean a sip of this wine. I’m all discomboobulated at this point.

If the TTB approved several of Vini Viti Vinci’s labels, particularly the Bourgogne Grand Ordinaire, then Mouton shouldn’t have a problem: https://www.vivino.com/vini-viti-vinci-bourgogne-grand-ordinaire/w/1249558. Also, the Supreme Court decision in Matal v. Tam has changed the standards for trademark approvals but the same reasoning will apply to TTB approvals.

I haven’t read Matal v Tam, but I don’t think trademark law is particularly relevant here. Labels are approved pursuant to regulations. 27 CFR Part 4.

The provision that the ATF cited to block these kinds of labels in the past was §4.39(a)(3), which prohibits “Any statement, design, device, or representation which is obscene or indecent.” Things like the Kenwood/Goines design weren’t even close to obscene or indecent under the law in the 1970s, but the prudes at ATF blocked them anyway. (I wrote a story about this crazy stuff in the early 1990s.) It sounds like they’ve become more reasonable.

Howz about Clos du Val, the Three Graces showing with full frontal, butts and breasts, same time as Kenwood’s Naked Lady.

I guess you sorta know it when you see it, huh?

My interpretation of this label: The breasts are not only breasts. They are eyes at the same time, and the wine glass is the nose. The Hallelujahs are the brain. The hand and the inclined, filled wine glass is an invitation, or maybe even a request to drink this sexy wine. :slight_smile:

Could go see a whole lot of real ones for the price of one bottle.

Has anyone tried the '93 lately? I wonder how it matured.