The Agave Thread: Tequila & Mezcal

3 Likes

Any news on the possible Fortaleza repo barrel pick?

1 Like

I’ve been drinking a few fun agave cocktails lately:

Have a Cigar

1oz mezcal
1oz reposado
.5oz vecchio amaro del campo
.25oz cointreau
Aromatic bitters
Flamed Orange Peel Garnish

Mance Ryder

1.5oz reposado
.5oz mezcal
.5oz sweet vermouth
.5oz cointreau
dashes of aromatic and orange bitters

Zone Amarillo

1oz mezcal
1oz reposado
.75oz punt e mes
.25oz yellow chartreuse
Aromatic bitters

Not looking great.

Yellow Chartreuse is becoming a unicorn sighting around me…if one more person tells me to get Strega as a substitute, I will scream.

Strega brings back bad memories.

Well, If you still need to offload those 375s, you know where we are

Grabbed two bottles yesterday…that should hold me over for a long time. It’s hit or miss by me as to availability.

Doc, sometimes I wonder if we might be secretly related.

La Medida was a stand out from our Mezcal explorations during our trip to Mexico back in Dec. 2019 and I sourced it across all the types when I got home. When comparing within type (e.g. Tepezate) across producers, I’ve found La Medida to be the most refined. It’s been a fascinating and ongoing exploration. I envy your boots-on-the-ground access.

Let’s figure a way to get you some.

Picked up another Fortaleza Repo in a Sonoma grocery store today. While shopping for cheese lol.

It was a good day at the office. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As a side note, I’m sure that no one will be shocked when I say that I’m digging the El Tesoro Reposado as well.

2 Likes

WDC has repo and blanco for decent prices.

1 Like

Sort of a midwest thing so far, about to go national, but if you see it LALO Blanco is worth a try to see if it is your style. Second generation from Don Julio Gonzalez, champagne yeast, no additive, 3 ingredient agave forward Blanco.

2 Likes

One that was recommended to me at Old Town Tequila. Cheap too.

I just bought a bottle of the Lalo Blanco. $44. Not that cheap to me.

Agree, that’s not cheap. For some reason I remember thinking it was less expensive.

$45 is normal retail.

Wild Common uses the same distiller as Cascahuin and has a still strength (100 proof) thats really solid, one of the few high proof blancos. (also available currently at WDC). Siembra Valles (also cascahuin) has a 94 proof as well

1 Like

Have a question for the group on what you consider additives and if it is a no-go for you even if the Tequila tastes good since up to 1% is allowed in Tequila, none allowed in Mezcal.

1. Caramel coloring for color consistency
  2. Flavorings for flavor consistency, sugar, sweetener, etc…to offset younger agave or other flavor flaws in original distillation like bitterness.

Do you even care?