The Agave Thread: Tequila & Mezcal

I think the bottom line for me is does it taste good. But my experience is that the flavoring additives are usually a big turn off for me. I don’t want the sweetness or vanilla that seems to come with additives. Not as concerned about color (assuming it doesn’t affect flavor).

Don’t care about color, so I’d prefer no additives for that. A smaller, “artisan” label should have some expectation of variation, within limits, so no additives would be preferable. Look at the premiums charged for “single barrel” spirits. Isn’t that the ultimate in artisan variation?

Interesting timing. Guy venting on a local bourbon page about tequilas with additives, flagged Clase Azul.

Personally, I’d love to see disclosure somewhere. Just have a hard time paying a premium for something with Mega Purple added when I believe I’m paying for something that was derived in a more natural fashion. Yes, I realize there are 50 shades of gray with that last statement, hence “disclosure” vs telling somebody how to make a product, a la baguette traditional.

1 Like

Color for consistency doesn’t really bother me, Scotch does it too, and 99% of consumers would pass on an item that was taupe 1 time and clear the next or tan then eggshell.

Sweeteners/flavoring to fix flaws, I have an issue with not letting the consumer know.

Company I started working with uses color for consistency but no flavorings even though they get regularly blasted and flogged on internet as additive brands. I keep pushing them to be leaders in transparency and education, not just Agave.

Ultimately it is about what the individual likes. I could not care about what is “traditional.”

I like pizza with pineapple and jalapeños as topings, I should be ashamed of my preferences, but for some strange reason, I am not.

I would happily eat that, though chipotle peppers might be an even better match with pineapple.

In my 70s college days, there was a pizza place called A16 in Del Mar that made a fantastic clam and pineapple pizza. On second thought, that might be why I never got a second date with the girl if my dreams lol.

1 Like

I’d say something but I’ve thought better of it.

1 Like

I tossed you the softball, it’s your choice to swing or not :wink:

Craig is bound to wake up out of his coma sooner or later. It’s like nobody plays for Arsenal these days.

I’m holding some of Craig’s wine hostage at the moment. He knows on which side his bread is buttered lol.

La Medida Tepezate down to one finger. Will be at shop sooner or later…

1 Like

One more vote against additives

Been swamped, but have basically gotten into a cycle of Tequila with new gig.

Blanco on rocks with an orange: Fortaleza Blanco and Dobel Diamante.

Tequila Cocktails: this will sound shilly and should, but Cuervo Tradicional Cristalino which is a blend prior to clarification of Tradicional Repo with Reserva de Familia Extra Anejo, for $30 it adds solid flavor to drinks.

2 Likes

Local high mixology place served me this Mezcal cocktail as I told my guy Jorge something a tourist might buy, but not too touristy.

Ho Lee Fuk there was a ton of booze in this! Great drink. I’ll get all the particulars next time I go in cuz it’s nap time now.

3 Likes

Is that a meatsicle in there doc?

Agave popsicle! So vegan.

Cafe da Allo y Mezcal

Que tipo de hoja está encima de la bebida?

Enjoying the half bottle of La Gritona I picked up recently.

Voy a tratar de averiguar.