Thanksgiving Day Wine Lineup

Dinner with my wife’s Mormon family…so, my guess is that they’ll have some terrible sparkling cider. :man_shrugging:

The plan this year was all magnums, for larger groups :slight_smile:

Friendsgiving (yesterday):

2015 Domaine de l’Anglore Tavel

Thanksgiving at our place:

NV Pierre Gerbais Champagne Grains de Celles Extra Brut
2009 Marcel Lapierre Morgon
2014 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Old Vine Evangelho Vineyard

#flask

I bring wine for 20, so I’ll use the opportunity to prune the cellar a bit, wandering through and putting a mixed case of things to go well with all the side dishes. Criteria are neutral or unoaked wines of modest alcohol. Definitely will be some bubbles, a couple rose’s, cru Beaujelais, some white rhone, loire cab franc, and definitely Eric Bordelet Poire Granit–great call, perfect wine for the table.

With my 2 older daughters and sons-in-law in Nanuet, NY, I’m bringing for Thanksgiving day:

2 - 2013 Peay Roussanne/Marsanne

1 - 2016 Sojourn Wohler vineyard pinot noir magnum

1 - 2015 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast pinot noir magnum

After some back and forth with Karen Troisi of Jean Edwards Cellars (initiated by me), I will add a bottle of their Sauvignon Blanc to the appetizer course because I am guessing that the high acid level in the wine will go well with, and cut through, the oil in the baked brie en boule that we are serving as an appetizer. I may also swap out the David Bruce pinot for a 2005 Aubert, Dumol or Loring pinot since people are raving about the 2005 Cali pinots on FacelessBook.

Gamay will be on our table as well [cheers.gif]

Plus my last bottle of 2010 Gangloff Condrieu

Probably a Ceritas Pinot, and a Chenin of some sort.

Just over the bridge and 20 minutes or less from my house. We will be starting early (1 pm due to my DIL’s work schedule) and running through the end of football, so if you want to make a detour, I think your tastes might match my cellar well. Lots of Carlisle, Mike Smith wines, Cali Cabs, etc.

I very much hope a bunch of great Barolo, since we’ll be in Piedmont.

But my usual line up involves easy drinking, plenty of acid, food friendly reds and whites of no particular significance, because no one will be paying attention. The last things anyone wants on Thanksgiving is a lecture or, even worse, an attempt at flights or pairings. Open them, put them on the table, and let people enjoy. That works for us.

Always stay US. So far, looks like:

L Mawby Talisman Sparking in Magnum
2014 SQN Testa dei Cherubini
2004 Herbert Lamb Cabernet Sauvignon
2012 Bedrock Hudson Vineyard South T’n’S Blocks Syrah
2017 Kutch Trout Gulch Vineyard Chardonnay
2017 Ravines White Spring Vineyards Dry Riesling
A Mouvedre or Pinot TBD
2010 Lagier Meredith Precious Bane

For Thanksgiving proper bringing my last two bottles of 2013 Soliste Pinot Noir Nouveau Monde.

For the “at home” thanksgiving two days later, 2004 Dom Ruinart Rose w/eggs and potato chips followed by 1998 SQN E-Raised with cassoulet.

There is an argument that Thanksgiving is an old world holiday. Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs writes that the pilgrims brought Leiden Thanksgiving from Holland. The residents of Leiden celebrated the end of the war for Dutch independence, when the starving city of Leiden triumphed after a long siege by Spanish forces.

But I’m not drinking Dutch wine…

We’ll be supplementing our host’s lineup with:

2008 Ployez-Jacquemart BdB Extra Brut
2016 JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Auslese (mag)
1995 Yquem

I enjoy using occasions like this to turn people on to Sauternes (or glorious Mosel Riesling, for that matter)

i usually open a bedrock or two, because I like them and the use old cali vineyards makes sense to me on this day; a domestic sparkler; and perhaps a SQN just because. and for my aunt, some kind of cheap butterbomb chard.

Just bought a bunch of wine I will not drink for the family T’Day thing, recommended by the folks at Arrowine. A Ken Wright Pinot, a prosecco for the MIL, who LOVES her prosecco, and a value pouilly fuisse for the chard drinkers. 3.5 hours each way in traffic, so yeah, probably not going to taste the stuff. If the fam is happy I am happy

2009 Roederer Brut
2014 Dowsett Gewurtz (Columbia Gorge)
2014 Aubert Lauren
2013 Navarro Deep End Pinot (Mag)
Graham’s 20-year Tawny

I think there will only be five adults this year, so we should make it through the football games.

(edit: forgot the port)

Just us and the in-laws (who aren’t huge drinkers), so I think:

• 2016 Walter Hansel Cahill Lane Chardonnay (with the apps)
  • 1998 Ravenswood Estate Merlot (main)

I’m a new Berserker and would like to start with some fun. What will be opened for your Thanksgiving feast?
I will be prepping a turkey for the family and will open the latest Nuits de Young from Kelley and Young, and maybe a Hartford Zinfandel if I feel the crowd is worthy…
You?

newhere

Joanna,

Welcome aboard.

Look down a couple topics, two pages on Thanksgiving selections.

Small thanksgiving gathering this year. Starting with a Mathiason Sauvignon Blanc and then popping open a 2016 Kokomo Tollini Vineyard Carignan.