Sushi rice for cocktails… dang, it actually works

After reading this, i was skeptical… but did a side by side Boulevardier, and it actually made a difference! More harmonious, lusher/rounder mouthfeel, “better.” Get out there before there’s a run on sushi rice.

Do you use raw rice or cooked?

Raw. Btw Punch isn’t a pay site. Lots of good cocktail ideas.

1 Like

So… when you stir or shake a drink, mix in some raw rice and then just strain it out?

1 to 2 tablespoons. Seems a few Berserkers are afraid to venture elsewhere never get out of the boat

2 Likes

What gives you that impression?

That or lots of people with broken index fingers that cant click on the link. Joking

2 Likes

I think Tom was implying that I didn’t open the article

1 Like

Interesting hack for sure.

and add a pinch of MSG.

1 Like

Read the article but it doesn’t describe the technique. What exactly is done?

1 Like

add a TB of raw rice to the mixing glass. to me, it’s not that big of a deal and a pinch of msg achieves similar / better results.

It’s a little vague, and that’s why I asked my clarifying question. I haven’t made a good cocktail in awhile. Maybe I will try this tonight.

It’s always 5:00 somewhere. My wife likes Cosmopolitans, so I made two - one normal (ok… we go a little heavy with the cranberry), and one shaken with rice.

The glass on the left was shaken with rice. It’s a little hard to tell in the pic, but the one with rice is a little “cloudy,” or rather, it’s not “clear.”

My take - it’s makes the drink less acidic and gives it a smoother mouthfeel. AND, it also cuts the bite of the alcohol.

When I told my wife what I was doing, she immediately said she would take the one without the rice. Then after she tasted them side-by-side, she made me re-shake hers with the rice.

Cheers

1 Like

Milk washed spirits, sushi rice and msg are each topic we should investigate further. If only I had a centrifuge to clarify juices. @K_F_o_l_e_y

1 Like

I used Riceland long grain white

True, though I think there is something less “interventionist” or more “natural” or whatever you want to call it by simply having the rice sit in the cocktail then strain out, vs. adding a powder. Next up - I’m throwing some chicken fried rice in my SoCo and Coke to see what happens. :laughing:

1 Like

Elaborate, please. Which cocktails have you tried the MSG technique with? Was it an improvement?

works with any, but i will typically make a negroni variation. a pinch of MSG is all you need. i find it a massive improvement in flavor. adds umami and saline component, but the effect is it kinda increases the volume on the flavors and the salt can round some bitterness (though i will typically add bitters because that’s the right thing to do).

1 Like

I’m assuming starch in the rice that adds a bit of texture/round-ness?