Starting a collection now, what advice for the next 25 years?

Yeah, the 2019 L-B is a bad example in that regard. I put it on a wishlist when I saw the huge scores and my brother got it for me as a gift. Normally I would do more like what you said - research whats a recommended year, whats ready to drink but not so old that I take on too much risk from the secondary market, what i can get a deal on. Then buy and drink :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seth that is certainly a good way to go about it and enjoy wine. Personally I have tasted very (Very!) broadly. One of the issues I have found is that some of the wines that was available to me just a few years ago are now out of reach. It is a crazy wine world. Sure I can always find something else to enjoy, but not always at the same quality, or wine that hits the same way emotionally.

I mainly focus on smaller wineries with small productions, and I am very happy to have bought a decent amount of wines to cellar.

A good example for me is the wines from Jura. I love them. I have cellared around 100+ whites from names like Ganevat, Labet, Boulanger & Allante… many of these wines are now highly allocated and selling at 2-10x the price now. Basically I wouldn’t have been able to drink some of my favorite wines if I had not bought a few years back. Another example is Wasenhaus (see the German Spätburgunder thread). These are the type of wines that just resonates with me, as mentioned earlier, so I gambled a few years back and now own a “large” amount of the top cuvees, which for many are now unavailable because how highly allocated they are. I also made some stupid purchases, but overall I think I have more hits than misses, but only because I’ve taste a lot and read a lot.

2 Likes

This could be a Nor Cal-specific comment, but professional long term wine storage isn’t that expensive (at least IMO). So I have a storage locker at K&L where I keep ~200-300 bottles of things I’m going to cellar for 10-20 years.
That frees up my home storage for fun things I’m going to drink in the next few years.

1 Like

That’s because they don’t start in Burgundy though, right?

Very true. At least I’ve never once heard of someone starting their journey in Burgundy (outside of the blue chip investment types, but that usually has no intention of drinking the wine).

When a friend got me into wine a decade ago i was first and foremost introduced to Nebbiolo from Piemonte, Pinot Noir from Burgundy and a few Spanish wines, so it does happen thats your way into wine obsession.

I own a decent amount of Barolo/Barbaresco now, but not a lot of Burgundy. Not because I don’t like Burgundy, but even back then it was too expensive for me (I was just finishing my University degree back then).

1 Like

Nebbiolo is such an interesting place to start. I feel like I’d have gotten into wine sooner had that been my path. Too much “big” cabernet for me early on that made me question whether wine was really my thing or not. Riesling and white burgundy is what eventually pulled me in :slight_smile:

I’d say pause buying now. Taste lots. Drink lots. Your palate will change and develop.

1 Like

Hi Dale, I appreciate your advice. As I am starting to explore higher quality wine I can see where having less bottles from several producers will be more interesting than a lot of bottles from a few producers. I am curious on your rationale of the 3 to 1 ratio though. I would think it is the other way around. Not just from a budget standpoint, but by definition there is more consumption of the daily drinker/cellar defender and wanting to give the more valuable wine time to age.

Great thread, wish I would have found it sooner. I have so many cellar defenders, there is no room left for the cellar champions.