Starting a collection now, what advice for the next 25 years?

Its available. Prices are just higher.

Well, DRC is available too…

To be more specific. Hasn’t Lorenzon already tripled in price in the past 2 years?

1 Like

I paid $60 for 2019 Piece 13 over 2 years ago and $80 for 2020 Piece 13 1.5 years ago. 2020 is available today for $100. 2015 is also available for $110 today versus the $65 paid 2 years ago (which I tried to find more of but could not at the time).

It’s certainly obtainable and affordable by Burgundy standards, and there are cheaper Lorenzon cuvees out there as well. With all that said, I think there is a lot of other interesting wines out there at the $100 level, so I have slowed down my purchases (I also haven’t tried the 2019 or 2020 yet, so maybe the higher price point is justified).

1 Like

Ok I think my memory is off, I thought they were around 35 a few years ago but it might be longer than that then.

2 Likes

Don’t overbuy cellar defenders, there are new ones coming along every year .

Look more at good Chianti, they age and can be drunk r. Monsanto in particular.

You already know a lot like muscadet Beaujolais. Is a greatdefender, but now I have too many 09s as I overbought daily drinkers and don’t drink daily anymore.

Perhaps the best value in agewotthy grand cru wines are German Grosses Gewaches from Emrich Shonleber, and others. Try some Trochen wines, if you like them , then get some if the GGs with pedigree.

Allow for your tastes to change. I used to love Bordeaux and still enjoy it occasionally, but wish all my first growths were burgundies with the same pedigree,

BTW I’m not on board with “age worthy “ whites. Not sure they’ve licked the premix problem and my problem rate was quite high.

Do you like Chablis? No longer the same bargain but still a relative one.

Just to echo @Dale_Bowers and @Barry_L_i_p_t_o_n:

Never purchase more than 3 bottles of any one cuvee, and be careful on the cellar defenders/daily drinkers, they can get out of hand.

Also, along with allowing your taste to change, I would be aware of focusing too much on any one region. I got focused on the North Rhone and then Bordeaux and really loaded up. While I still enjoy these a great deal I have really expanded the diversity of the cellar, so I may never get to drink through these wines.

While i certainly understand this advice, then I am not sure I fully agree. Some wines just resonates with you, and in my mind there is a higher chance that you will keep enjoying those rather than enjoying as many bottles of your diverse batches. But I would only buy larger batches of one wine after having gained enough experience with certain wines. My cellar is pretty diverse, but there is a few wines I do own a lot of, and certainly some i regret not buying more of when it was possible. It is all about balance.

Jamet is my biggest regret. I had quite a few and always love them. Should have bought more when possible and cheaper.

But then again I am only a decade into my wine journey, so maybe I will hate Jamet later on :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, I would like more Jamet. But I didn’t buy more Guigals, so I’m ahead .

1 Like

I didn’t either. I didn’t have to taste many Northern Rhone wines to get a sense of the direction that I liked the best. Jamet and Guigal are vastly different, if someone was buying both blindly, then they didn’t really do their homework.

The point is I liked Guigal at one point. I even liked Sine Qua Non at one point. “ not doing my homework” missed the point. . Tastes change.

1 Like

Fair enough

If capped at just 1000 bottles due to storage constraints then I would suggest moving further up the quality curve as it’s easy to fill that space so later on you will regret not buying more cherries

I actually started with generally buying 3-4 of whatever I bought, and it’s worked out well. But I’m now occasionally buying 6 and/or going back for more when I’m certain it’s something I won’t regret.

I do the same. Most of the time I actually only buy a single bottle to sample. If I like it, I might buy a few more. But there are now a few wines I have enjoyed so much over a few years that I now buy 6, or in rare cases, 12 of, each year. It is very few wines though.

But as noted above, then it is true that taste can change and I might sit back with some of those and never drink them. Who knows. But on those few wines I don’t mind taking the gamble.

All types of preferences can change, but from reading this board, it seems more likely to go from larger heavier wines to lighter lower alcohol wines than the other way around… but again who knows, I don’t have a large data set to back it up, I am guessing.

3 Likes

Best time to start a collection: 25 years ago. Second best time: today.

2 Likes

This is tough for me, I guess due to my buying habits. Mostly either direct from winery from a handful of small producers who sell through on release often, direct from an importer on a pre-arrival basis, or older wines from retailers who probably won’t have any left to purchase by the time I’ve received a bottle, let it rest for a bit, and found an occasion to drink it. So generally I start with 3-4, but with a good idea of our (me and wife) likes. We do have some wines that I’m not too excited about owning. But it’s not a great number.

1 Like

@LasseK - you make an excellent point and this is why I love the board and my berserker colleagues! I should amend my statement to something like “consider large qty purchases of the same cuvee and vintage carefully earlier in your collecting journey as you may discover your tastes or preferences change.”

Thanks for the rigor!

1 Like

Hey OP cool thread. I am also newer to the wine hobby, a few years in. My storage is more limited than yours and it seems like my overall budget is lower. Having said that, I have a different approach to many here. I like the intellectual investigation of learning about different wines, grapes, and regions. My focus is on reasearching different things I want to try and then buying 1-2 bottles, sometimes gray market and sometimes already with some age. I dont buy quantities of wine to age. To me, the oppurtunity cost is too great.

For example, I have one bottle of Lynch-Bages 2019. Similar in price to your Tignanello. I will age my one bottle as long as suits me and refer to general advice before opening. But I would never buy a case. Why? Not because of budget per se, but because of the relative resource allocation. I would rather buy a Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape, a Vina Tondonia Blanco, a GG trocken reisling, a Meursault, and a Rhys pinot than the rest of a case of one wine.

But thats me. Will I wish I had more of my favorites? Yes. But would I trade that for trying all kinds of renown wines that might be my new favorites? No.

5 Likes

Good approach but consider the time value of money and opportunity cost. For roughly $100 more, you can get a 2000 Lynch Bages and find out now. Lots of wines these days make more sense to backfill.

ETA upon rereading I see you are doing some of that

I totally agree with you. People also think they know their tastes much earlier than they actually do, and that’s usually how they overbuy.

It’s a big wine world out there! Take your time, explore, keep exploring, the journey is more than half the fun.