solid sparkling wine (well) under $20

Any recs for a low dose domestic sparkler?

Just loaded up on some Scharffenberger Brut Excellence for $15! For the money…tasty ripe apple and tart lemon…smoky lees…almond mousse, brioche…not too edgy with somewhat of an elegance to it in that price point…nice minerality and bubble tingle. Drinks like twice the price.

Mestres 1312 Cava
Gramona ‘La Cuvee’ Brut Cava

Treveri BdB Brut Zero.

Graham Beck from South Africa was an incredible surprise last year.
Gruet Brut and Blanc de blanc are solid choices as well.
Our house sparkling used to be Roederer Estate NV Brut when it was about $15. Still good, but can’t get it under the $20 mark any more by us.

Not under $20 in OR, but it is in CA. NV Allimant-Laugner Cremant d’Alsace Rose is the one you want. Trust me.

For under $20 I always thought this was decent. It’s not going to make you forget Champagne but it’s gets the job done for not a lot of dollars.

NV Varichon & Clerc Blanc de Blancs Brut

Just to put in my 2 cents, I am big cava fan and have been pretty bullish on its value and it’s flexibility solo, cocktails etc. As far as brands, my go to cava winery’s are Bohigas, Juve y Camps, Raventos and Castellroig. If there is a limited selection I’ll get Segura Viudas but usually to mix with.

Brut Prestige yes but Cuvee M is sweet.

1 Like

Roederer is the best I have had in the under $20 category. The last 8 or 9 bottles have been stellar. Used to buy Mumm Prestige but it is slipping.

Gruet is good but we are lucky in MN I just bought Roederer for $15.00 a bottle. It is far superior in my opinion to Gruet.

+1 on this too. I actually have a magnum of this aging for the last 3 years. $45.

Besides Roederer Estate and Allimant-Laugner, I really like De Chanceny Rose Brut (Cremant de Loire, made of cab franc). It’s widely available in Socal Whole Foods around $15. I’ve had some decent proseccos and cavas for around $5, but don’t recommend them unless you really need cheap for a crowd.

https://www.dechanceny.com/en/sparkling-wines/cremant-de-loire/cremant-de-loire-rose-brut

Quinta da Murta Bucelas Brut Nature is quite good - have served it blind a couple of times and it has been mistaken for Champagne.

Lucien Albrecht Cremant d’Alsace Rose Brut

Nice clean pinot rose, looks and tastes above its $12-17 price point.

Two that we like are:
N.V. Domaine des Aubuisières Vouvray Méthode Traditionelle Brut
N.V. Val de Mer Crémant de Bourgogne Blanc (No Dosage)

Maybe a buck or two over your limit depending on location

Mawby Sandpiper from Michigan:

Argyle

Louis Pommery California. My favorite domestic under a 20 spot.

I was just going to say this

If I could buy Roederer @$15 I would literally buy cases and not have to worry about Sunday Mimosas for years. The stuff will actually age decently mid term too.