Share your thoughts on Margaux

Indeed, the 2000 Rauzan-Gassies is an excellent wine, but for my taste, both the 1999 and 2001 are even more refined and compelling. Entirely delicate Margaux. I wish I had bought more of all three vintages.

I agree with both of you. I’ve always liked the RG 2000 since I tasted it from barrel and it’s still going strong, although the last one I tried recently showed a rustic edge to it I hadn’t noticed before. Both the 99 and the 01 were excellent and probably still are - I too actually preferred the 01, but that was a good decade ago so maybe things have changed.
It’s an odd sort of wine - apart from its stablemate Croizet-Bages, I don’t know of any other CC which still uses machines for harvesting, in spite of which it does produce some good stuff sometimes, but I can’t help wondering how much better it could be in different hands.

Not a CC but the large production Pomerol, de Sales, uses machines for picking too. So it makes it hard for them to make a good wine other than in cooperative weather years.

R-G’s resistance to other ways of winemaking does mean that the estate has stayed somewhat true to its colors (for better or worse) in a world where so many wines have seemed to change as new consultants and fashions arrive

D’issan all day

The sleepy appellation has woken up. Love classic Margaux, softer fruit, flowers on the nose, some minerality. 2000 Du Tertre and Marquis d’Alesme were my introductions, but after having visited in 2017 and tasted at 3 UGC events I think Brane-Cantenac (more Cab), Prieure-Lichine, and Dauzac have upped there games. The last is not classified, so is very reasonable, like Prieure-Lichine.

That said, Malescot and Rauzan-Segla have been on point for 10-15 years, and Palmer and Margaux are at the top of not just Margaux, but all of Bordeaux. Been a bit disappointed in Lascombes lately, to be honest.