Searing dry aged steak?

Do you use a different technique for searing a dry aged steak vs. a regular steak? I have cooking non-dry-aged steaks down to a science using reverse sear, cooking to an even rare inside and then searing them in butter in a screaming hot pan until the outside looks nice and dark and melty.

I have barely any experience cooking dry aged steaks but I recently tried the same method with a dry aged NY steak from Flannery (thanks to this board for the recos!). The flavor was delicious and the inside looked perfect, but the outside got a dried out bark-like texture that wasnā€™t very pleasant to eat.

I am guessing this is because the dry aging leaves less moisture in the meat, but Iā€™m not quite sure how to approach my next steak. Appreciate any tips you use in your own cooking!

I pull the steaks at about 108-110Ā° and let them rest for 10-15 minutes, then directly over screaming hot coals that are 1/2ā€ from the grill. Moving constantly (every 5 seconds), the flame from the dripping fat sears it just right.

5 Likes

Dry aged steak definitely needs less heat to sear to finish. Also, butter in a searing hot pan will go rancid instantly and create carcinogens, so I only use beef tallow or duck fat.

Am in Brianā€™s camp. Only thing I really do differently with Flannery dry-aged is ratchet back the seasoning to just salt and a little bit of black pepper. I like to taste that nutty flavor profile heā€™s famous for, rather than a garlic / chili powder rub.

3 Likes

I was going to refrain from posting here because Todd monetizes everything, but you are so COMPLETELY wrong here it is amazing. Read a fucking book.

1 Like

Thanks, these look beautiful! And no sign of the unpleasant bark-like texture I was getting. I donā€™t often grill though so I was hoping to hear there was a way to do this in a pan. It is just so weird because Iā€™ve never had this issue with a non-dry-aged steak.

Thank you. Hmm, weā€™ve never had rancid flavors so thatā€™s interestingā€¦ Iā€™ve never heard that.

Butter has a lower smoke point so it will start burning before you get it hot enough to give the steak a nice crust quickly. But rancid? No.

3 Likes

Smoking and burning is definitely an issue with butter, but I have found ways to mitigate or manage it. I think the most important thing is to get the pan hot before adding the butter, but also use more butter than you might think is needed and also use a small fry pan so there is less room for the butter to be where the steak isnā€™t. I sometimes also tip the pan to create a small pool of butter where the gas flame is concentrated that the steak sits in. I also read long ago that butter speeds up the Maillard reaction, which is why I use it. I have had fabulous steaks this wayā€¦but again, using a dry aged steak recently I ended up with very different results so obviously need to tweak something, just not sure what. Not against trying with duck fat, though, since I have it on hand.

Long way of saying I have not found it impossible to sear a steak before the butter burns. (Maybe it helps that Iā€™m usually cooking one steak for the two of us.)

I also donā€™t have an outdoor grill and have to cook indoor. I reverse sear as you do but reduce the time on the pan compared to when Iā€™m doing an unaged steak and then use a blowtorch directly on the steak if I want to liven up the crust more. I do think the dry exterior is unavoidable to some extent, though, just because the meat has less moisture to begin with.

1 Like

Thank you. Maybe I need to add a blowtorch to my wishlist then!

1 Like

Super reasonable at your location home improvement store. And useful for creme brulee

2 Likes

If you use butter you need to use clarified butter/ghee which has a much higher smoke point.

6 Likes

Sear it first. The hard crust you have is due to the low/slow initial cook.

Yep, clarified butter for higher temperature. It is butter with the milk fat separated out. Available in nearly any grocery store now-a-days, usually sold as ā€˜gheeā€™ next to other Indian ingredients, but also easy to make at home. Browned milkfat tastes nutty but burnt milkfat tastes bitter ā€“ much like browned garlic is yummy but burnt garlic is bitter.

I mean I agree that butter doesnā€™t immediately go rancid with heat to sear a steak, butā€¦

What in the actual fuuuuug are you talking about? You think Todd is making stacks off BillTex commentary? Lolololol

1 Like

Never been a fan of using just a blowtorch for searing, always had off flavors. If you are just searing a few steaks the Searzall attachment works very well. It turns a blowtorch into a handheld broiler so you donā€™t get the torch taste from the crazy high blowtorch temps. I have one and it works.

http://www.bookeranddax.com/searzall

I think they have a upgraded version out now also.

1 Like

Bro, I made like $18 of his post, cha-CHING!!!

Typical! And you donā€™t even pay your minions all that well!

only the ones that show up more than 10 times a year