Searing dry aged steak?

Also has a lot to do with the quality of content. Sure, Jorge’s cool and all, but he’s not telling people to F off cooking steaks, to the tune of $18 per page view in your pocket! So you know, there’s that!

Or use MAP-pro

Seriously Margo, I use the exact method for dry aged vs non. Room temp (I don’t care if they tell you this doesn’t matter)!
Pat the meat with paper towel.
Do not use non-stick, it generally will not sear as well.
Lightly season, place in super quality fat, like Tallow, Clarified butter, High smoke point oils. Love tallow here.
Sear til you see gorgeous crust. You can the froth some good butter thyme garlic, or what ever you like. Then place in hot over, either in the pan or save the bits and make a nice reduction minus the butter and thyme froth. It’s very simple you’ll get used to doing it and know the proper temp on stove and oven. Rest rest rest. Don’t leave that out.

That’s what I use with the searzall.

I tell my wife if we ever remodel the kitchen I’m putting in a commercial salamander.

1 Like

That would be great to have, bet you would use it more than you expect.

I would kill for a salamander in our kitchen!!!

First thing I’m making. Staple of my youth.

1 Like

I see the mysterious character from Don’t Look Now.

-Al

1 Like

Oh, that’s been on my wishlist for years. Along with a blast chiller, deep fry station and infrared grill. Unfortunately I’ve looked into salamanders and they need commercial ventilation and lots of space around without combustibles. Also like other commercial cookers, they are designed to light and leave on all night so they don’t really do well in a residential environment where you just want to fire it up for a steak. I keep waiting for someone to come out with a promercial version.

You guys just made Todd so much monies!

I want to try out one of these, multiple different versions out there and they all seem to have great reviews.

BIG HORN OUTDOORS Portable Infrared Broiler Propane Gas Grill, 1500 Degree Stainless Steel Tabletop Quick Cooking Steak Grill for Meat, Seafood, Veggies Amazon.com

1 Like

Todd told me he was working behind the scenes to get this post sponsored by Omaha Steaks. BIG MONEYS

Apparently. Some type of contest

Updating based on a couple of recent experiences.

1. Another NY steak from Flannery. I did not change a thing about my approach (reverse sear, then searing in butter in a screaming hot pan), and did not get the unpleasant bark-like texture on the outside. Yay! That said, neither my husband nor I enjoyed this steak because of an overly funky flavor. We love the dry aged flavor, but this tipped over into another area for us. We ate it, but would not want to repeat it.
  2. A ribeye from Flannery. Cooked last night using the exact same approach as above, and it was delicious. No bark-like texture (whew!) and the flavor was perfect as was the interior texture. Absolutely perfect.

Not 100% sure what conclusions I should draw here, but in practice I think I won’t make any changes to our approach for now, but will stick to rib-eyes when ordering from Flannery. I have a couple more of both NY and ribeye steaks in the freezer so am keeping an open mind on all of this as we eat through them.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback.

Glad the recent cooks worked out, aged NY notwithstanding.

Doesn’t your butter just burn at that high a temp? I’d think the milk solids would be wrecked very quickly. Was it clarified butter, or just a hunk off the stick?

Thank you!

It obviously can burn, but I have some tactics I use to forestall the burning. 1) I heat the pan before adding the butter, to lessen the time it’s in the pan. 2) I try to use a small pan so that more of the butter surface area is in touch with the steak (the large empty swathes tend to burn more quickly). 3) The reverse sear method means the steak is very dry when it goes in, so it takes less time to brown. 4) Sometimes I also use a cast aluminum pan I inherited from my grandmother, as it seems even better than cast iron for browning.

I should obviously get some ghee or clarified butter but the steaks come out well enough that I haven’t made it a priority.

2 Likes

I should add that even with those, the butter still gets dark even if not burnt, so if I am making a sauce to go with it, I would pour off the butter and use fresh butter for the sauce.

1 Like

Very cool strategies, thanks!

1 Like

if anyone is actually interested in the science of searing steaks, butter, and all the rest.

4 Likes