Sandlands Vineyards - Winter 2023 - Save the date TUESDAY, JANUARY 24TH

I’m sitting this one out so all of my allocations will go to everyone else.

Bought the Trousseau and the Mercia. Shipping is tough at $10 a bottle, but he keeps his prices low so hard to argue with the total cost.

1 Like

Exactly. Tegan might be wise to increase price $10 per bottle and provide free shipping, but then he’d hear about outrageous price increases. Sometimes you just can’t win.

2 Likes

I never got the original allocation email and forgot about this release but thankfully got an email reminder today that the wait list was opening up tomorrow so I was able to order:
2 Trousseau
2 Mataro
1 Carignane
1 Mencia

First time buyer:
3x red blend
1x Mataro
1x Cinsault
1x Trousseau

How long would you recommend aging these for?

1 Like

Wishlist granted for Chenin and Mencia. Thanks, Tegan!

More Trousseau here, thanks to Tegan and team.

I had put a note in my order to limit it to six bottles total (4 orders and 3 wish listed) with the thought that it’s more economical to ship 6 bottles than seven. Just got an email stating I’m in for all seven bottles. ugh. not sure that comment section does much. Not that it’s a big deal, since it’s not, but I did reply to them.

2 Likes

Looks like they granted all of my wish requests. That’s amazing

There are different opinions about aging them, as you’ll see from threads on here.

But I don’t think anyone argues you can’t or shouldn’t drink them young. And especially as a new buyer. I’d say try many of them. Especially the Trousseau.

Of yours, the one with more of a reason to age might be the Mataro.

5 Likes

How many bottles did you get from your wish list?

1 Like

Totally agree with all of this! It’s one of the rare producers where you really can’t go wrong either way (i do have a 2010 Carignane left in the cellar and im interested to see how thats doing at this age).

On that note, what is everyone’s thoughts on aging mencia? Im admittedly not as familiar with the variety so any general feedback would be appreciated :cheers:

1 Like

YOUR GRANTED WISH REQUESTS

The following items were granted and have been combined with your original order as noted above.
Sandlands Vineyards

1 2021 Contra Costa Mataro
$30 each

1 2021 Lodi Cinsault
$26 each

1 2021 San Luis Obispo Syrah
$30 each

1 2021 Sonoma County Trousseau
$30 each

10 bottles total, with tax and shipping, $365. Such a nice deal. I didn’t get allocated any chenin blanc unfortunately. If anyone local in LA needs a bottle of something, send me a pm. Happy to share

1 Like

Thanks - very useful- will try the Trousseau and the red table wine in the coming months and take it from there!

I got all my wish list items also, making a full case. I’ve finally been on the list long enough now that I can get 3 of some of the wines I want to follow for several years.
With respect to ageing, I’ve found that Sandlands is one of the few that I truly enjoy shortly after release whereas normally I’m in favour of 5+ years on most reds and 10+ on Cabernet.

2 Likes

Did the same thing and got 7 lol. I checked shipping and it didn’t move much so it’s all good.

I really do not think these show nearly as well in the first year or two after release. The 2017 for me is really expressive recently and the 2019 in earlier 2022 was terribly wound up for me. I think that all the reds come off as thinner and often quite tart/simple in their early youth. The RTW 2018s for me are rocking now in a way they did not in 2021…YMMV of course

2 Likes

Interesting perspective. It may also depend on how much you prefer or don’t prefer the wines to show that youthful tension and crunchy tart fruit.

95% of the time I’m in the “prefers more age” camp on various categories of wine, but I’ve liked Sandlands better younger. Maybe the youthful profile of their wines is the itch I’m looking to scratch when I buy these wines or something.

1 Like

Yeah I’m totally with you on the tension part, but maybe slightly less on the crunchy part! I’d say that those 2017/18 wines I mentioned have no shortage of tension and brightness in the finish. Rather they might be slightly less crunchy red but add a lot of that middle weight which provides much higher satisfaction for me.

I tend to think the aromatic expression increases as well, but could very well be full of shit. Early tastes are enjoyable and highly identifiable as “Sandlands Red” and after the couple years in bottle morph into “Sandlands Mataro” etc.

As always, preferences abound, and it sounds like a good idea for a blind tasting! Something particularly enjoyable about being proven to be talking out of my ass when we find that I like the younger bottle…

1 Like

Had a 2015 Trousseau a few days ago and it was singing. Best news from this thread seams to be if you like them young they are great and if you prefer some age on them great, win win.

4 Likes