Sandlands Trousseau Glory

I was going to write that year after year this is one of my favorite QPR wines, but screw that.

Year after year, Sandlands Trousseau is one of our ten favorite wines. It’s consistent, complex, and delicious. I have no idea if it will age for ten+ years, and am unlikely to find out because it tastes so good at age 2-6. And the Sandlands Mataro is also great, maybe just a tiny step behind.

Anyway, I write this non-note over a bottle of the 2019, following and dwarfing other more expensive and grander wines.

For Emma and me, Sandlands Trosseau is a top ten wine of the world. Fight me.

7 Likes

I love that wine too. It’s clearly my favorite of the (very good overall) Sandlands lineup.

My only small caveat is that I’ve had mixed results as it ages. I think it’s better, or at least more consistently good, in its first few years.

5 Likes

Some of us love it, I’m in that camp. Not everyone loves it though. Trousseau and Chenin seem to be the two Sandlands wines people love or don’t have a strong opinion.

1 Like

Yep. I really enjoy the Trousseau. The Chenins leave me cold.

2 Likes

Count me as one who really enjoys the Trousseau! Agree with those who think these are better- more vibrant for sure - in their youth.

2 Likes

Funny, my two favorites. Muled Sandlands Chenin down to Mexico and every bottle sacred now.

I’d add Arnot-Roberts to that tippy top tier of Domestic Trousseau too.

2 Likes

But you don’t like Chenin in general.

I like both, although I definitely prefer the Trousseau. Either way, I would like to see what Sandlands could do if they did bottlings intended to age a bit more.

Me too. I think the chenins are perfectly okay, but they don’t speak to me.

1 Like

I enjoy Huet. But yeah that’s about it. Hardy Wallace is doing some things with Chenin that intrigue me.

1 Like

I have not tried Sandlands Trousseau, and will after reading this. Years ago I really liked Arnot-Roberts but multiple recent vintages were less ethereal and light and bigger/more fruit-driven than I prefer. Global warming or my preference changing or the recipe changing, don’t know.

Arnot-Roberts lost access to the lake county vineyard they were using for part of the blend as well as smoke taint in recent vintages. They added gamay to the blend to make sufficient wine to bottle that made the wine darker and more fruity. I think they figured out the gamay needs to be picked earlier.

4 Likes

Been 5-6 vintages since I had one. Back then fantastic.

Sandlands Red Table wine also bats way above its price - an excellent little wine for very little $.

1 Like

Everett, thanks, that explains a lot. Much appreciated.

'21 Sandlands Trousseau is now on deck, although i am drinking Champagne with tilefish for dinner tonight (Guiborat Prisme 16). Thanks Brady.

1 Like

Totally agree with this. Just seems less exciting after a few years. And this is from someone who typically likes a good amount of age on most of his wines.

On the other hand, i do enjoy the Carignane and Mataro both younger and with extended age :cheers:

1 Like

Agreed! Arnot-Roberts Trousseau is excellent! I still can’t get into his syrah…but love the Trousseau.

Exactly the same for me. I’m also normally in the “more age” side.

Copain makes a very nice California trousseau too.

1 Like

Nice! I’ll definitely check that out - cheers bud!

Big fan of Sandlands Trousseau; I wish list for an extra every year. If you’re look for other interesting domestic producers, I also like the Eyrie Trousseau.

Still waiting on a 2017 from Sandlands to see how it ages, but this thread has inspired me to take an early peak at one of my 2021s.

I don’t think the 21 will be too early. Probably now through the next two years or so would be peak years for it.

2 Likes