Sandar & Hem Berserker Day 14: Wines from the Santa Cruz Mountains

@RobB does your Bates include the Ahlgren block?

First time buyer on the Bates Ranch Cab. It’s what this day is all about.

Hi Nathan, In 2019 we took a single half ton bin of the Ahlgren block (The vineyard folks call it Avocado Block as there are avocado trees that have tasty fruit around harvest in the block). The rest of our fruit in 2019 came from the Luce/Miller Block just below and we blended those barrels. As we grow, we may have the capacity to do two wines and split out the wine from the old-vine “Ahlgren” parcel.

1 Like

Awesome! My friend Kenny used to make a great Bates Cab from that block, looking forward to trying yours.

1 Like

The old-vine “Ahlgren” block Cabernet at Bates is on St. George Rootstock and are beautiful thick-trunked vines planted around 1970.

2 Likes

Nathan, we love Kenny’s wines.
Here is a photo of the Miller/Luce Block on harvest day 2019 below the “Ahlgren block” where most of our fruit comes from now.

i buy and drink very little Cab but this discussion between Nathan and Rob makes me even happier that I grabbed a 6-pack yesterday!

Thanks for the nice feedback Andrew! It was great to see you at wine club pickup party and we are glad to see you doubled down on the rosé!

In for a Chardonnay Mixed Pack… and tempted to go in for more too. I’ve yet to be disappointed by a SCM Chardonnay.

1 Like

Ordered a 6-pack of the Bates. Psyched to try it!

In for Chard sampler!

Thanks for the order!

This would be a good day if you are feeling tempted.

Order in. My favorite new (to me) winery of the moment.

Prices for SCM cabernets like Ridge and Mount Eden have been climbing quickly. Their cab is a good value even at full price (which I have paid for them several times).

Was certainly looking at the Bates Ranch Cabernet. I’ve been buying so much 2019 Bordeaux recently (and will likely keep buying more) that it has me wondering whether to jump into a 6-pack of Cabernet. I love the Domaine/Mount Eden Cabernets, but hard to get a good read into the Bates Ranch bottling. If anyone has more notes, please share!

Was waiting to see this offer.
My favorite new find from last year.

I’m getting a message that the Bates Ranch cabernet six pack can’t be shipped to DC–is that true? I’m super excited to try the wines.

1 Like

Never mind, I am an idiot who cannot read instructions!

This was my favorite purchase from BD last year. Wonderful chards and pinots