Sandar & Hem Berserker Day 14: Wines from the Santa Cruz Mountains

Greetings Berserkers!

We are excited to be back with some great Berserker Day 14 offerings!

Sandar & Hem crafts transparently made wines from distinctive sites within the Santa Cruz Mountains AVA. Our winemaker Rob Bergstrom launched Sandar & Hem to explore the unique and diverse expressions of vineyards in the Santa Cruz Mountains after working harvests at Rhys and Mount Eden.

Santa Cruz Mountains wines have a compelling character driven by the altitude and aspect of the mountain environment, strong ocean and bay cooling influences, and diverse soil and geology brought by the upheaval of the San Andreas Fault running through the region. The wines exhibit a purity of fruit and fresh acid, mineral, and tannic structure that can yield delicious wines of balance, that are at their very best paired with food, and which can age gracefully, often for decades. To complement this character, our winemaking approach is to pick relatively early, just as phenolic ripeness is reached and then to foster the grapes with a light hand to allow the sites to speak. We have chosen each special vineyard site based on a number of factors including the history of the site and vine age, compelling plant material (e.g. heritage clones, own-rooted sites), farming (organic and biodynamic practices preferred), interesting geology, and microclimates. We have built great partnerships with growers with some of the most historic and compelling sites in the Santa Cruz Mountains and also are farming a couple of stunning 40+year-old Chardonnay sites ourselves.

You can learn more about the vineyards and winery at our website: Sandar and Hem - About Us - Our Team
We also posted a Wine Berserkers newbie thread a couple years back: NEWBIE INTRO – Sandar & Hem Wines - BerserkerDay 12 Newbie Intros - WineBerserkers

The 2020 vintage brought brutal lightning and wind-driven fires to the Santa Cruz Mountains and we lost most of our red wine programs and two white programs close to the fires so we currently have modest inventories brought about by that challenging harvest. We have pulled out much of our remaining stocks and library wines here to put together some fantastic Berserker Day 14 offerings!

First we have a 6-pack sampler Chardonnay offering. We love Chardonnay and it’s range of expressions in the Santa Cruz Mountains and these sampler packs will give you a good idea of what our wines are all about. Grab one of these as they sell out every year.

We are also offering 6-pack of our 2019 Bates Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon. In 2019 we worked with some new blocks at Bates Ranch and picked early to explore the terroir-driven character of this site. This wine exhibits a lighter more finesse-driven expression of Cabernet with notes of cassis, violets, garrigue, and earth.

Finally, we have the last handful of cases of our 2021 Grenache rosé remaining that we are offering at great pricing to make room for the 2022 rosé that will be released soon. This is a perennial favorite among folks who follow us and has notes of plum, peach, and hibiscus framed by nice acidity and a whisper of wild sage/thyme which is hallmark for this site. This is a crowd-pleasing Provençal-style rosé that is also a serious wine!

As a bonus on BD14, Any Berserker joining our wine club will receive a six pack of 2021 Grenache Rosé with shipping included for $14. Please feel free to reach out with any questions!

Also any Berserker leaving a comment here in our sales thread will be entered into a drawing for a magnum of our sold-out 2018 Bruzzone Vineyard Chardonnay. Berserkers making a purchase will get an additional entry. Winner will be announced Berserker Day (Thursday) at 5pm.

Shipping is included for all BD14 orders

We Ship with our own license to: CA, CO, DC, FL, IL, NY, OR, TN, TX direct. Please use the sales links immediately below for those states

For AZ, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, ME, MN, MO, NC, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, OK, PA, SC, TN, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY we ship using another platform so please scroll down the page for sales links to these states

Chardonnay Sampler 6-pack

SOLD OUT (Retail: $242) Shipping Included

USE CODE: BD14SHIP
One Each:

• 2019 Mindego Ridge Vineyard Chardonnay, Santa Cruz Mountains (94 pts, WE)

• 2019 Bruzzone Vineyard Chardonnay, Santa Cruz Mountains (95 pts, WE)
    Note: We may substitute the 2020 Bruzzone Chardonnay from our library for the 2019 as most was sold on the prelaunch day! Similar character in 2020 but with even more bright acid and length.

• 2020 Mountain Winery Chardonnay, Santa Cruz Mountains (92 pts, Vinous Media (AG))

• 2020 Santa Cruz Mountains Chardonnay

Two Each:

• 2020 Bozzo Gulch Vineyard Chardonnay

Sandar & Hem 2019 Bates Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon 6-pack

SOLD OUT (Regular: $348) Shipping Included

Sandar & Hem 2021 Bates Ranch Grenache Rosé 6-pack

SOLD OUT (Regular: $144) Shipping Included

Sandar & Hem 2021 Bates Ranch Grenache Rosé 12-pack

SOLD OUT (Regular: $288) Shipping Included

**We use a different platform to ship to: AZ, DC, GA, IA, ID, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, ME, MN, MO, NC, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, OK, PA, SC, TN, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY

Please use the links below to order for shipments to these additional states - Same pricing applies:

Chardonnay Sampler 6-pack

SOLD OUT (Regular: $242) Shipping Included

One Each:

• 2019 Mindego Ridge Vineyard Chardonnay, Santa Cruz Mountains (94 pts, WE)

• 2019 Bruzzone Vineyard Chardonnay, Santa Cruz Mountains (95 pts, WE)
    Note: We may substitute the 2020 Bruzzone Chardonnay from our library for the 2019 as most was sold on the prelaunch day! Similar character in 2019 with even more bright acid and length.

• 2020 Mountain Winery Chardonnay, Santa Cruz Mountains (92 pts, Vinous Media (AG))

• 2020 Santa Cruz Mountains Chardonnay

Two Each:

• 2020 Bozzo Gulch Vineyard Chardonnay

2019 Bates Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon 6-pack

SOLD OUT (Regular: $348) Shipping Included

2021 Bates Ranch Grenache Rosé 6 bottles

SOLD OUT (Regular: $144) Shipping Included

2021 Bates Ranch Grenache Rosé 12 bottles

SOLD OUT (Regular: $288) Shipping Included

Wine Club Members BD14 Discount - 25% Off on any other wines besides BD14 bundles with shipping included. Club members please email robert@sandarandhem.com with your order.

I get a 404 error when I try to order the 6 pack of the cab.
https://www.sandarandhem.com/product/BD14-Bates-Ranch-Cab-6-Pack

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. All these links are now live!

1 Like

Thanks Rob. Love all these wines. In for a 6 pack for Bates Ranch Cabernet.

I’m already 2 cases deep is 2021 Rose of Grenache. One my favorite rose period and at a ridiculous price. don’t miss out on those.

4 Likes

Alan, Thanks for the heads up. Links are now live and orders are rolling in!

Oh, and you’re supposed to use the correct link for your state. I see said the blind man! Order in for the Chardonnay 6-pack. No brainer!

2 Likes

Rob, any way you can ship to MI?

I want to win the drawing, bitches!!!

Here are a few of the wines I’ve tasted. Didn’t write up the Cabernet but it was awesome. @Chris_Seiber and I are huge fans.

This is a great producer.

• 2018 Sandar & Hem Chardonnay Mindego Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, Santa Cruz Mountains (12/11/2022)
    I starting writing a tasting note and saw WILLSCHENK note below from May 4th. That is everything I want to say! That's a perfect description.
  • WILLSCHENK WROTE:

Wednesday, May 4, 2022 - Tight, taut, and definitely ageworthy. Tons of salty mineral character supported by underripe pear, lemon, green papaya, and light-toast oak spice. Very textured, with a little chalky tannic presence; medium+ bodied. Decant a day in advance or give this several years - this will go the distance. 92++

• 2019 Sandar & Hem Chardonnay Bruzzone Vineyard Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/4/2022)
    Superb Chardonnay. Chablis ringer with stinging acidity, bright yellow fruit and lime. Excellent
  • 2019 Sandar & Hem Chardonnay Mindego Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, Santa Cruz Mountains (4/24/2022)
    Green apple and lemon notes. Lightly touched with oak. Medium plus acidity. Really good now but I'd wait a few years for the baby fat to integrate.
  • 2019 Sandar & Hem Chardonnay Bald Mountain Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, Santa Cruz Mountains (2/21/2022)
    I'm in my fascination phase with anything from Santa Cruz so I had to jump on this berserker Day offer. Very light note of butterscotch, not distracting, and terrific edgy Chardonnay flavors. Very nice wine and I'm looking forward to tasting through the other four or five wines from this producer.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Hi Luca, we can make Michigan happen. Please check your PMs.

1 Like

Order in for the Chardonnay sampler! Thank you!!

1 Like

In for the Bates Ranch Cabernet and Rose. Excited to try the Bates Ranch cab- remember the vineyards from many bottles drank decades ago. Loved the chardonnays from last year (still have 4 left).

2 Likes

Good to see you here Doug!

3 Likes

Thanks Doug! We love Bates Ranch. We also made an absolutely delicious Petite Verdot for the 2022 vintage (your the first to know!) from Bates and that should release in Spring of 2024. I’d love to have you by for a complimentary tasting some time at the winery in San Francisco as you are local. Also, we often pop-up over at Cantine in your neighborhood so perhaps you can swing by for a tasting the next time we are pouring.

1 Like

Howdy Sean. Look forward to seeing you at tom’s hopefully in the near future.

Signed up for email’s for info of upcoming events. Love me some local wines!

1 Like

Thanks for the great offers. I’m in for the Cab! (I love the chards as well but cellar management!).

Hey Rob- trying to order the chardonnay and 12 of the Rose to ship to Colorado. I picked the top links but the BD14SHIP code isn’t taking?
Heide

1 Like

HDolan, I just did some updating and we should be good now.

1 Like

In for 6 of the cab!

2 Likes

Got the order in Rob! The coupon still said it did not exist or was expired, but shipping came up as 0-
Heide

2 Likes

Thanks for the order Heide, I’m glad we got it worked out.

1 Like