Russell Bevan/Bevan Cellars

Let me admit up front I like big powerful Cabs. Russell makes wines that fit my palate perfectly. I’m curious why there isn’t more talk about him and his wines. There are plenty of threads about TRB and his wines. I find Russell just as talented. His wines have been scored 100 points and are consistently fantastic. His Ontogeny I think is one of the best sub $100 wines you can buy. Just wondering why his name and wines aren’t brought up more often on the board?

Dude, shut up! It’s bad enough Parker is giving him big ass scores now!

Seriously though, I completely agree, and have for a long time now. I tasted his 2005 Showket Cab back in 2007, and immediately advised a bunch of folks to get on the list. EE is someone I introduced Russell to.

Great wines made in a silky fruit-forward style. Russell himself is one of the most exacting winemakers I know, and a pleasure to “sample” his wines with.

Erinie Els?
Emilio Esteves?
Elizabeth Edwards?
newhere

I will both agree and disagree (a minor point though) with your assessment. Russell is indeed a talented winemaker. We have hosted him twice at CLONYC, the last time his full lineup just rocked across the board. I was happy when he received some great scores, and know it was well overdue.

OTOH, The Ontogeny is pricey for what it is and is a shadow of what his premiere lineup is, but it has a following, so what do I know other than I can find better ways to spend $64
:slight_smile:

Hope you’re well.

Eric Anderson and I visited Russell in summer 2012 at Vinify in Santa Rosa, where he makes his wines:
Bevan Cellars

Russell is a great guy - even in middle of a bottling day, he was generous enough to take time out to taste us on some Jemrose barrel samples as well as on his newly-bottled wines.

I really enjoyed the 1st CLONYC dinner with Russell. Unfortunately i wasn’t able to attend last years dinner. Miss seeing you and going to the CLONYC dinners! Hope my schedule changes some time in the future.

I remember you weren’t a big Ontogeny fan at the time.

for you syrah lovers - westerhold. shhh… you didnt hear it from me.

Don’t forget your knife and fork.

I agree, though I’m ashamed to say I’ve never tried Ontogeny.

Russell was Ray Walker, before Ray Walker. That’s not to disparage Ray, and no Russell didn’t move to another country. But my recollection is that Russell was in the pharm business or something, posting on WCWN and some other boards like the rest of us stiffs back in the late 90s. He took the love to the next level fo making wine, and the next level of very succssfully making wines. Brian Loring is the same sort.

Beyond that, Russell’s just an exhuberant character. Great to have a dinner with and talk wine or Gonzaga hoops, and always happy to have others taste his wines.

If you like the CA style, no one is doing better work right now.
And wait 'till you taste his Chardonnays.
Best, Jim

Jim,

I haven’t been around the wine boards much the past couple of yrs-are you still making wine? Do you have a website? TIA.

mark

2008 Ontogeny was pretty damn good to me…granted it was not my bottle, so price did not factor in. As for $80, and spending it, the 2011 version is in DFW at Costco for WELL under that price.

Jim’s website is http://cowancellars.com/.

I met Russell at the post ZAP party in 1998 after interacting with him on the WS boards. We later got together in Minnesota and Las Vegas. Great guy, full of enthusiasm. Then he was working day jobs (good ones…I think it was dental supplies) but you could see where he really wanted to be. He deserves all the success he has achieved and I’m very happy for him.

Some of Russell’s wines are now in Total Wine. The chards and pinots just appeared. Prices are high, but it’s a way to try a few bottles, which I plan on doing shortly, maybe for the S Bowl. Russell has commented that Total is actually a pretty good company to work with. It gets him a larger audience. I also notice that some Kutch wines are in Total.

Amazing wines and amazing people.

This board is not Cali-centric so it is understandable that the thread count on Bevan Cellars isn’t huge.

What I don’t understand is how folks will pay so much for Harlan and Screaming Eagle and somehow Bevan hasn’t made that leap in pricing. Maybe soon now that the 100’s have been achieved.

Russell wants people to buy his wine and drink it. I bet he spends more per bottle in terms of production too.

I’ve been buying Russell’s wines since before he had his own label and he’s the complete package for my palate across varietals. I’m a huge fan and unlike others, I love the Ontogeny.

RB is a great guy and so is his wife Victoria. I love his Ontogeny and wish I could afford his cab bottlings as they are kind of outside my price range.

The wines are a bit out of my price comfort zone, but I’ll splurge on a couple. And I second the reminder to not forget Victoria. She organizes what is hands down one of the best tasting experiences. Never had so much fun drinking incredible wine.