RIISE Inaugural Offering

Juan Mercado’s new Paso offering just came out today. Prices aren’t bad ($105/750ml) across 3 wines + 1 reserve wine ($200/750ml).

Anyone buying?

shipping February 2024

1 Like

Is there much info on the wines? I just see the % of varieties used in the blend.

3 Likes

Any reviews/thoughts

2 Likes

In for 2 of each wine. Been looking forward to this release for a while (like everyone else).

In for 3 of each. Excited to try this.

3 Likes

I’m excited to try the wines. I haven’t decided what i am going to get but will be purchasing.

In for a few of each and WL-ed some reserve Syrah because, you know, FOMO.

3 Likes

I liked the wines. Had them out of barrel and shiners. Pleasurable and balanced. Great texture, which is what makes a wine great for me personally. Good structure and length.

3 Likes

I grabbed a couple of each and wish listed a magnum of each

1 Like

Were you allocated Fermin or had to wish for it?

Pretty sure everyone was wish on that one

1 Like

I met Juan YEARS ago tasting Realm in the caves Chateau Boswell so want to support his new project.

even blind, I’m in for the (Doyen)Grenache blend, and likely the Syrah blend (Peace)… the Temp/Petit just not my thing anymore - but curious to hear any tasting notes? anything from Dunnuck on these wines? I know Yount from his time at Denner, so looks like Juan put together a solid team.

5 Likes

Jeb gave the syrah and the grenache each a 95, which given his rating inflation is a middling score (i think 75ish 2019s from Paso were 97 or higher. Unrelated, i am passing. Juan is a great guy but i need to get out of the business of buying $100+ paso i haven’t tasted. I hope it is successful and the wines are great

6 Likes

This would be my first foray into high end Paso if I snag my allocation, any idea on the expected style? I imagine higher alcohol, extracted, and opulent?

Great question. I am not a subscriber to JD not have I seen any notes in ABV, new oak usage, etc.

Is that I go readily available? It was not included in the initial allocation email.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Question - how many >$150 Napa or Sonoma new releases are you purchasing?

Cheers

2 Likes

Zilch, I’ve had several of the cult Napa wines but they were always purchased on the secondary market by the folks I drank with and rarely met expectations. I just never cared enough to actually jump on mailing lists until recently.

1 Like

A little bit here, a little bit there, and soon it becomes real money. I am too old to buy new releases sight unseen, or more appropriately untasted, with no reviews, but on the other hand, that’s how I got in on the ground floor on Realm, MacDonald, and a few others, so it’s pulling me in both directions. Has anyone here ever tasted these wines? If you have to compare them with some other wine that you have tasted, what would be the closest to it?

3 Likes

Spottswoode
Scarecrow - probably dropping
Jasud - will buy as long as I can
Dunn
Think that’s it.

1 Like