Retailer Check: The Wine Connection at Pound Ridge, NY

I’ve been crazy busy and haven’t had A chance

I am hopefully going to stop by on Wednesday. Anyone owed wine send me a PM or post. I’ll see if I can do anything or if he throws me out of the store!

1 Like

I stopped by the store yesterday but they were closed. There is a sign on the door that they are only open Fridays and Saturdays. Looking Into the store it seems as though they are fully stocked

Bought a bunch from Max over the years and have always enjoyed reading through his email offers and I too hope he has recovered from his health issues and is well.

With that said, this listing might be pointing to change.

https://www.williampitt.com/search/real-estate-sales/32-westchester-avenue-pound-ridge-ny-10576-6164487-40875877/

Hope he makes his customers whole before he leaves…

2 Likes

Wondering if there has been an update on this…

Hasnt answered the phone or emails in 9 months. I’m concerned and would appreciate any help by people who know him or can stop by when it is open.

I would contact my credit card company and get charged back. I wouldnt even risk it after seeing no communication for almost a year and the shop being on the market.

Not looking good…

Is anyone here still in communication with Max, such that they could inquire about the store’s status and pass on the information to the rest of us? Personally, I have an invoice for one mixed case that is now almost a year old, and I’ve been unable to get a response by email or phone despite regular attempts for months. Voicemail is full, etc. I don’t mind waiting and do not want to ask my bank for a chargeback unless absolutely necessary, especially if the delay is due to medical problems. I don’t want to pile on him. But if the business is winding down and don’t expect to fill the orders, it would be helpful to know so that we can stop trying to chase down the status.

1 Like

Aren’t there time restrictions on bank charge backs? If you still have any recourse available, you should probably move as quickly as possible.

Formally, yes, but in practice it really varies depending on the bank, the situation, and the customer’s relationship with the bank.

When Premier Cru closed, Amex honored the purchases made in the last year, but rejected anything older.

Some people had better experiences with Chase. It’s weird to me that people are still waffling on calling in chargebacks here. The wine isn’t coming and the best that can be hoped for is to just retrieve the monies sent. Chargebacks/disputing is one of the core protections paying with a credit card offers, and its baked into the prices of goods/services.

1 Like

Pound Ridge (part time at least) resident here… Word in town is that Max is selling his business along with all his inventory and the building where the shop is located. I was told that it was pretty much a done deal, but to my knowledge no announcement has been made about new ownership, and it’s been at least a year of these rumors going around. In the meantime, the shop appears closed. My suggestion is that if you’re waiting for a package, stop waiting and call your bank.

1 Like

To my knowledge, the sale is not yet closed but the plan is for Max to stay on for a while afterwards to wrap up outstanding business. In the meantime, he is still fighting cancer and has not been able to open the shop much. I believe he intends to send out a blast email update soon.

It is his intention to fulfill every order. Each individual should of course, decide how to proceed for himself.

2 Likes

First off, hope the guy gets well. Having lost loved ones to cancer, it is a long and exhausting experience. Now, I am honestly going to ask, with no intention of being sarcastic, how did you come to these conclusions? Have you spoken with Max or someone from his store? If so, thank you for giving us an update that is probably the most non “guessing” theory that has been posted on this thread on what is going to happen.

Sarah has previously disclosed she has known Max for a long time.

I spoke with Max this morning and am passing along what I believe to be information he has made or intends to make public. I respect his privacy on other things. I don’t want to get in the middle or argue with anyone - as I said, each person should decide for themselves what to do - but I did feel I could contribute important information.

1 Like

Really appreciate the update, as I said, IMHO this is THE most concrete info we have had so far in this thread about what is going to happen moving forward. Hope everyone here is made whole.

1 Like