Retailer Check: The Wine Connection at Pound Ridge, NY

Has anyone shopped here already, having a very hard time contacting them to ship my order.

Not to be confused with the one in CA, this store is in Pound Ridge, NY

You will find a range of experiences. I have bought a few things from Wine Connection many years ago - but nothing over the last 5 years. Wines and delivery went smoothly.
Others have had a full range of experiences. You will often hear that he does not immediately respond to emails or calls.
In sum, it is a small shop and Max Marinucci seems to be doing most tasks by himself so response times and delivery times may be slow.
Max used to be a member here.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3270823#p3270823

2 Likes

Max sent an email to his mailing list a few months back letting people know he has been going through treatment for cancer. I don’t know who is handling things at the store, but I know it’s a very difficult time. I know he is trustworthy and feel confident he will make things right when he can.

2 Likes

I used to go to the store every few months. I thought he was a good guy. I had a wonderful, long talk with Max and Jean Trimbach there about 10-12 years ago. Max is a good guy and reliable with a good shop. It is sad to hear that he is battling cancer, which of course may affect his responsiveness.

3 Likes

Max aka Massimo is a good guy. The store has had some ‘variation’ in customer service experiences and the last time I checked he mentioned it was back to being a one man show. Communications may take a while but I add to Sarah and Jay’s sentiments there is nothing to be concerned about. I’m very sorry to hear that he’s dealing with serious illness.

1 Like

Yes I’ve reached out several times over email and phone as I have a decent amount of wine waiting to ship as well. Trying not to be too persistent considering his unfortunate situation. I haven’t heard a response in about 2 months.

Unfortunate to hear his situation and I hope he gets better. Though can’t say I had a positive experience as communication was virtually nonexistent and when I finally reached someone, was told that the wine that was supposedly in stock has to be located in the warehouse which went on for another month where I ended up cancelling the order.

I didn’t know Max was ill. Sorry to hear that.

I would just add that he’s a great, honest guy, and the store has a fabulous selection. Sometimes they were slow to respond, as others have said, but Max is totally on the up and up. I bought a fair deal from them over the years, aided by the fact that I had a friend near the store who was also a customer and would pick up and deliver my orders. :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

A little more information - the shop is only open part time on Fridays and Saturdays, with a guy who is not Max (Jonas?) taking care of things. I would assume his focus is on in-store activity, and that he is not sorting through Max’s emails on shipping etc.

I have a lot of time for Max, for many reasons. I get it that some people will be frustrated their orders are impacted by his situation, but if there is ever a time for patience and understanding, this is it. As Mark said - wine will wait.

I agree Sarah. I’m probably more impacted than most. Have about 80 bottles awaiting shipment, some ordered two years ago. While I would love for the wine to move, Max is a good guy going through a health crisis and deserves our collective patience.

1 Like

I am going to plead that we don’t use this space for adding yet another problem story. There are plenty out there already, anyone is free to read them and make their own choices. It seems in good taste to refrain, knowing what we know. It adds nothing to already well known narrative and honestly what do you gain from adding a +1?

1 Like

1 Like

To those who want posts deleted, please specify, or, better yet, just go in and do the editing of each of your posts to remove the content.

I have known Max for years; a fine palate, lovely guy, and sorry to hear he has been sick.
He turned me on to Philip Togni, and a couple of other winemakers. One of those retailers who figured out my likes, and can make suitable recommendations.