Recent vintage wines that are no longer made. Modern unicorns

I was going to say that I thought he’d said two years ago he no longer had access to the Unti fruit, but when I checked I saw that the 2015 is available so I thought that I’d misrecalled.

I had the impression he was going to try to make it from other sources. Steve’s not great about updating his website, so there’s no info there. The last R&G mentioned there is the 2013!

I have the 2014 and 2015 in my cellar.

In 2016 he sourced fruit from a different site. I don’t know exactly what he is going to call the wine. He tends to change the names when he changes the fruit source.

Coche Dury Corton Rouge

2 according to CT.

A real unicorn, a sad story, and a great wine: Stéphane Cossais Montlouis-sur-Loire Le Volagré

My personal “Cry List”: :frowning:

Joseph Swan “Côte du Rosa” RRV Carignan

Alfaro / Old Vine Wine Company “Wirz Vineyard” Cienega Valley Carignan

The Princess and The Peasant “City of 10,000 Buddhas” Mendocino Carignan

Carlisle “Pagani Vineyard” Sonoma Valley Alicante Bouschet

Peter Franus “Brandlin Vineyard” Mt Veeder Mourvedre

Snoqualmie “Rosebud Vineyard” Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Idlewild Carignan

Idlewild Grenache Gris

Maybach Irmgard Chardonnay.

Only three vintages, vines were pulled for more PN.

Apparently so. News was in both release letters.

Duncan family should buy it.

What happened to the Carignane?

Sam stopped making the Carignan. He decided to just focus on the Italian varieties.

Thanks for the information. I thought the vines might have been pulled. Cheers!

Mayacamas Sauvignon Blanc

Guenoc Chenin Blanc: For years the only decent chenin blanc from CA I could find, and it was a great QPR. There has been a bit of a resurgence for Chenin Blanc in California lately, but the wines are not as easily found (on the East Coast at least) as the Guenoc was.

Do you know if Melville stopped selling them estate fruit from the Sta Rita Hills property or if they grafted it over to something else?

As far as Verna’s goes, perhaps they are purchasing from the new owner, Shokrian? Not sure . . .

Cheers

2014 Sandlands Napa Valley Chenin Blanc - From a vineyard that no longer exists, planted in the early 1990s in bale gravelly loam soils on St. Helena’s west side.

I am not sure about Melville. I still have one 2002 Melville sitting in the cellar. It is a wonderful wine. They also used to make a Stolpman Syrah designate, but no longer. I think they still get Stolpman fruit for some of their whites.
I was told by Craig that the quality of the Verna’s fruit went down/they don’t farm it the same and they would no longer source it. That was a year ago, so things may have changed, but there is no 2013 Verna’s or a 2014 Verna’s.

• 100 for the Idlewild “Testa Ranch” Carignan!! I can’t speak for the whites, yet.

Unicorn sighting, just put some up for sale on CC

Damn, I forgot to mention Rhys Skyline Syrah!