Pre Berserker Day Shout Outs -- What are you excited about?

I’m getting really pumped up about Berserker Day. It falls right around my birthday, and I always tell my wife to get me little to nothing for my birthday so I can workout our credit card on BDay. I’ll open this topic up so folks can post some positive reviews about things they’ve really enjoyed buying over the years.

Morgan Ranch American Wagyu - Elations. Def: elation in ever bite. This is the best meat I’ve ever had in my entire life. Best strips, best rib eyes, best sirloin, best standing rib roast, best filets, best bavettes. It’s unreal meat just packed with flavor. I’ve been buying it and giving it as presents, buying over holidays for big get togethers, buying throughout the year for steaks. It’s just the very best meat.

Flannery Meats - If you prefer longer dry aged beef, Flannery is exceptional. Flannery’s pork products are also to die for, and it may have about the best ground beef mix to use for anything from smash burgers to meat sauce. Good people, too.

Astrea Caviar - @Charlie_Carnes and I were discussing this the other day. Astrea’s caviar kicks the shit out of Petrossian and Marky’s and so many other big old names. It’s egg size and flavor are on a whole different level. It’s among the very best caviar I’ve ever had anywhere and, relatively speaking, it’s a great deal. This is a must buy for me every year. It’s really sensational quality caviar.

Virage Virage is pretty classic napa cab made by board pal Emily Richer. I had a 2012 last night from last year’s B-Day and it was in exceptional condition and drank beautifully. I love snagging something each year she’ll sell us something. The 2010, 2011, and 2012 are so pretty and nicely balanced.

The Oregon Folks Do I need more Oregon wines? I do not. I’ve got an absolute pile of them from a bunch of different producers. Will I inevitably end up buying absurd deals from Walter Scott, Goodfellow, Patty Green, Kelley Fox, and some newcomer? Shit, I guess so.

Frisch’s Mission - Last BDay I bought some Mission from Sabelli Frisch and, admittedly to my surprise (no offense, Adam), I really liked it! It was my first time ever trying Mission, and fun finds like that are what make B-Day so fun.

I’m leaving off probably another dozen producers I’ve bought up over time and really enjoyed, or sellers like Richard Albert that have pristinely conditioned old bottles of great stuff, or killer Meursault from Ansonia, snacks from Nola, Napa cabs from DiCo, and endless other goodies.

But what are you most excited for this year?

16 Likes

@ The Oregon Folks!

6 Likes

Morgan Ranch and Flannery no doubt! I have too much wine and glassware as it is, so my buying will probably focus more on food and non-wine, but I’m sure my temptation will get the best of me. :grin:

1 Like

Goodfellow sparkling wine

19 Likes

We primarily buy Oregon wine from wineries we haven’t tried yet. However, 2/3 of our wine is from Oregon so I try to buy some others on Berserker Day.

3 Likes

Di Co Cabs
Vincent Pinot’s
Saunter Cabs (although I think they called it quits so they probably won’t be participating this year)
Bougetz Reds
Riverain
Gourmet’s of Spain Olive Oil

6 Likes

Sabelli-Frisch’s Rhone-styled Biograf series that was teased on Instagram. Also, given how much @Adam_Frisch talks about looking for more restrained Cabs on here, I’m hoping he just did one himself.

6 Likes

I really hope Emily participates again and still has some of those 2010s, 11s and 12s available. They are so damn nice. :wine_glass:

10 Likes

Sandler! We first met Ed Kurtzman 20 years ago (hard to believe it’s been that long) and have immensely enjoyed his August West and Sandler wines over that time. We’re seriously downsizing the cellar in anticipation of a move, but this will be a must buy again this year.

9 Likes

You were the one to call it on here some time back, but Heather reached out, and I’m still waiting for clarification, as they WOULD have made the list but one of the committee saw your post that they closed so they were taken off!

2 Likes

Yeah, and Ed’s offers are most often by the case…hard to downsize when you are buying 12 bottles at a time!

Bring on some Scherrer

13 Likes

In no particular order:

Suzor
Brevity
Morgan Ranch
Neely (BD newbie)
Hoping Red Newt returns
iOTA
Jasper Hill :cheese:

Surely forgetting some and hoping to discover others.

7 Likes

Old favorites for some restock:
JB Neufeld
Orr
Patty Green
Veleta Spanish goodies, vinegars look very interesting.

Not sure if and how they are participating:
Lagier Meredith
Biggio Hamina

Want to try some Sonoma Pinots, so will look closely at:
Boheme
Scherrer

6 Likes

I like everything I read here so far…I think we’ll have some happy folks

2 Likes

Shiba Wichern has been great deals on really good Oregon wine the last couple of years.
Also hoping for an ansonia sale.
Have bought a Loring mystery pack most years and never been disappointed.

4 Likes

Top of my list is going to be some new stemware this year.

Previous purchases that will get my business again without a doubt:
Scherrer
Morgan Ranch
Flannery
Jean Edwards
Virage

Board favorites I haven’t purchased from but am planning to:
JB Neufeld
Goodfellow
Bougetz
Veleta

I’m sure there will also be an offering I haven’t thought of that I’ll find too good to pass up

5 Likes

Have had so many great BD wines. Hoping to get some from

Suzor
Shiba Wichern
Briceland
Goodfelllow
DiCostanzo
Ser
Orr

And many more!

The desert-island Berserker buy, no question.

4 Likes

Richard is participating this year. He’s acquired a cellar from an “east coast doctor, long time collector” and is working through the catalog and then I’ll jump in to assist in presentation for BD15.

I haven’t seen the list yet but Richard said it’s “epic”.

That’s a little scary

11 Likes