Pre-1998 Williams Selyem: Mountain View (SF Bay) Tues.10/23

I have a scheduling problem and will probably not be able to get there until about 8-8:15pm, but I’ll be there. I have a 1997 Dehlinger Reserve Pinot Noir.

Sounds good, thanks.

I’ll bring a 2000 Nikolaihof Riesling Vinothek. See you soon!

2002 Eitelsbacher Karthauserhofberg Kabinett (Saar)

Most likely bring a somewhat older Krug MV edition.

Since this is an American wine theme, I’m bringing a Copain Chardonnay.

I packed 11 bottles this morning, 9 WS and two old US pinots, and I’m happy about the lineup and the fills. Definitely includes some of the best wines Burt Williams made.

Blind on the WS or not blind?

I vote non-blind. I doubt enough of us know most of the wines well enough to draw many conclusion from a bunch of bagged bottles.

Non-blind. Also, it sounds like 2 flights since we won’t have enough glasses to pour them all at once.

Also vote for non blind and I’d say it makes sense to do even 3 flights… But up to you :slight_smile:

Very helpful, thanks, three (perhaps four) nonblind flights it is. My only reason for blind was so that people wouldn’t take giant pours of the Rochiolis or the 94 Allen while others got none. Three flights are a great idea and accomplish the same thing. My preference for flights:

First flight (1) oldest WS wines and (2) non-WS old pinots
Including:
-Two Williams Selyem Martinelli-owned Jackass Hill Vineyard zins: 1979 or so under the pre-WS Hacienda del Rio label (not sure about the wine’s source or vintage), and 1992 “RRV” zin, the transition year, the final year they got the JH fruit but the only year they were no longer allowed to call it Martinelli Vineyard
-1978-79 (one bottle total) Santa Cruz Mt. Vineyard pinot, Ken Burnap era
-1993 WS RRV pinot, which might surprise. If there are any old pinots brought by guests, this could be in the second of four flights
-Whatever my eleventh bottle is, I forget

Second flight the three Allens 94 95 96

Last flight the two Rochiolis 95 and 96, plus a Rochioli Rochioli 1995 West Block Reserve

Does anyone have a beaker or two? That will prevent overpouring. Also, I suggest they be Bott poured (one person pours one wine for everyone, keeping the bottle horizontal the entire time so as to not shake up the sediment)

Don’t have any beakers, we can just be vigilant about pours.

I prefer one person stands up and pours each. It won’t delay anything because in the meantime there will be so many other wines to try. Bott pour?

Again we might run into some brett

Reference to the person who runs the tasting group I attend (Alan attends, too).

George Brett? Brett Kavanaugh? Brett Jones? Bridget Jones? Jones Family? Family Stone? This dinner is looking better and better!

Please save a pour for me.

Wow!. George u rock!

Great Choices Team! I loved tasting across Cali tonight in Chard’s. Along with a couple of great champagnes and rieslings
This group has some random good Karma with wine choices despite our lack planning (Except for Jorge).

Ya’ll Blow my mind.

For me the '96 and the whole run , were rock solid. Where was the brett I heard rumours of? It was subtle at best. 2nd to last flight was totally Rockstar!

Sean