Paris Gare de Nord

After a gruelling few weeks of field work in West Africa, I’m looking forward to a big lunch in a Paris during a 10 hour layover on my return. The only problem is I’ll have to head straight back to CDG after lunch, so I’ll need to eat somewhere reasonably close to the Gare de Nord.

I’m sure I’m not the only person here who’s planned a layover around a lunch—do y’all have any recommendations?

Terminus is the obvious option. It’s never great but solid. Wine is not a strength.

1 Like

I recommend « Chez Michel » rue de Belzunce which is walking distance from Gare du Nord.
Solid and traditional French food cooked by a Japanese chef. No specific souvenirs of the wine list but I believe you can find some fine bottles there.

1 Like

LOL who would go to Paris for not great food and not great wine?

Well who would choose to eat around GdN… (Though I am out of date…)

Here are some Bistro/Brasserie options:

Les Arlots. 10 minute walk from Gare du Nord. Or, as mentioned above, Chez Michel.

With 10 hours I’m not sure why you have to be overly concerned with location? Seems like there’s plenty of time to get somewhere worthwhile. Unless most of the layover is in the morning.

If you are ready to walk a bit more or take the underground (line 5 - alighting at Jacques Bonsergent station, 2 stops away from Gare du Nord), you can also reach the St Martin canal. Two restaurants to sample in the area:
Le Verre Volé (bistrot cuisine with a strong wine list leaning towards the natural side of things) and Sur Mer, for fresh and delicious sea food with a glass of Chenin blanc !

Close to Les Arlots, Petrelle is reportedly quite good but is only open for dinner (except on Sunday, where they serve lunch as well).

I just want to say I love the use of the word “alighting” :slightly_smiling_face:

Please post more often!

1 Like

There are many places, not necessarily close to Gare de Nord, that are within a 10 minute Metro ride of Gare de Nord. If you are taking the RER to/from CDG, it also stops at at Chatelet, which increases your options. I think if I were in your situation, I’d go through the Eating and Drinking in Paris - #1317 by Michel_Abood thread, find some places that look interesting, then see if any are close enough to either Chatelet or Gare de Nord to fit your itinerary.

For instance, Juvenile (Verjus is just across the street) is a 9 minute Metro ride (18 minute walk if you want to walk off some of the travel blahs) from Chatelet. Les Enfants du Marché is 11 minutes by Metro from Chatelet. Septime is 25 minutes…

And those were merely the first three places I thought of that have gotten lots of attention here.

This is exactly it—I need to head back to Charles de Gaulle around 1:30, so I would rather have a (slightly) worse meal and not be worried about time than have a better meal while stressed about time.

Thanks all! These are great suggestions. Les Arlots looks like exactly what I’m looking for.

Café Les Deux Gares is very good. A Natural wine bistro. Personally I would go to Les Enfants du Marche. I did it with a 4 hour lay over from CDG.

Did a double-take when I clicked ‘translate’ on Les Arlots’ Instagram page after seeing your post.

Viva la France! :grinning:

More like Les Harlots, amirite?

Agree, Les Arlots is a great lunch - was there 2 weeks ago. Or Cafe Les Deux Gares - likewise.