Eating and Drinking in Paris

Best seat in the house!

Night 5

3 Likes

Cassoulet?

Of course. L’Assiette.

Back at the hotel now and poppin’ tops :wink:

2 Likes

Think I paid less than current list for the 10 Cote Brune last March.

Then again I was so excited to drink it, I am sure I forgot what I paid

Willi’s was the first place I recall drinking Jamet. Was in 2010 and drank the 98 for 100euro

1 Like

I was just thinking that after reading Andrew’s note.

Couple of final thoughts on this last trip to Paris.

L’Assiette - I continue to struggle with the dining experience here. It’s somewhere my parents would have gone in the early 80s. The server demanded everybody’s jackets in the party (“the chef does not want them on chairs”), and we actually went back and forth for a bit because one of the ladies in the party wouldn’t take hers off (it was a light overcoat paired with a camisole, so it wasn’t going anywhere), I had to send a corked bottle back… because of course that would happen there. In the staff’s defense, after the initial eye-lasers of death, the waiter agreed it was terrible and brought another bottle out. I can count the number of bottles I’ve sent back on one hand… so having it happen there was just funny. Alain Graillot Crozes. Second (and third) bottles were fine.

Arnaud Nicolas - continues to be one of my Paris go-to places that doesn’t hit the thread here. If you are a fan of pate en croute or old school Paris charcuterie, there is literally no better place on the planet. We met some friends there for lunch and I could 100% tell they thought I was crazy for blowing a meal (even lunch) at a place that specialized in pate en croute. Aside from the mandatory charcuterie tray for the table, the pork and foie gras meat pie is legit my death row meal.

I’ve always been a huge advocate of Parisian restaurants (so many people are easily intimidated) and this trip reinforced that view. Service was fantastic across the board (see exception above) and all the spots we hit were English-friendly. The city is bracing for the Olympics, and large parts of the city are “under-construction,” which is terrible if you’re stuck next to one of the afflicted areas. We stayed at the Westin Vendome and listened to drills and trucks all hours of the night. I can’t wait to return in Spring of 25 to enjoy the benefits of the mad dash to revitalize the city… but well after the crowds have left.

2 Likes

Arnaud Nicolas is a gem. I’d go to L’Assiette more often if the wine list was better. Had a weird moment there where I opted against dessert but then changed my mind once the check was dropped… took quite a bit of convincing to change the server’s mind at that point. :joy:

1 Like

You and I have both mentioned Arnaud Nicolas upthread. Love it!

1 Like

Has anyone been here: L’Antre Amis ?

Don’t want to derail the thread…but L’Assiette would have to be a mind blowing meal for me to give it a try based upon what I’m reading. Especially with the vast amount of amazing choices available. I’m very much not into paying people to treat me poorly.

1 Like

Heading back to Paris (and Provence) the 1st of May, and among other things I’m wanting to have some great seafood. My target was Clamato (been to Septime but not Clamato), but a lot of recent love here for La Cagouille. Also Sur Mer could be in the mix. Of course a meal at one doesn’t necessarily preclude a meal at another.

We usually hit up Huiterie Regis, but never been to Seulement Sea just around the corner. Any thoughts there?

Check out Le Duc. My current favorite Paris seafood restaurant.

I love the Sole. My wife loves their Brittany Bleu Lobster.

We had dinner at Seulement Sea last year and were underwhelmed

Le Duc looks great! Probably a little more formal than what I was looking for. We have a couple of other high end meals lined up, but thanks (for future reference).

Disappointing to hear about Seulement Sea. I guess we can always count on our usual stop at Huiterie Regis.

If you are looking for casual I love Sur Mur. It is a little small and all natural wine list but it is a hidden gem. Of course Clamato is super casual.

I’d like to dine at Les Arlots when I’m in Paris in a few weeks but am having difficulty contacting the restaurant. No web site and repeated phone calls have only succeeded in reaching the answering machine which does not accept messages and appears to have been last updated before Xmas (says restaurant is closed until Jan 3rd). Any suggestions on how to make a reservation? I’d walk by and make it in person, but we’re only free to go there on our first night in town…

John,
Try calling Les Arlots around noon-3pm or around 7pm Paris time. They are closed Sun and Mon.

1 Like

Spending a week in Paris. Thanks to this thread, got reservations at Parcelles and Verjus. Tried booking Septime months in advance, no luck.

Arnaud Nicolas looks fantastic, on my hit list.

@Robert_Dentice and everyone else who had a chance to visit San Francisco’s State Bird Provisions - what’s the closest equivalent in ethos to that in Paris? I agree with Robert that it’s one of the best places to eat in US. Not looking for the same cuisine or ingredients but want the similar moral turpitude of going leftfield and somehow pulling off the seemingly impossible combinations of flavors.

1 Like

Les Enfants du Marche would be my answer.

1 Like