Official Dryuary (Dry January) 2024 Thread

I will try to get some N/A Mikkeller at their Bar in Berlin later. Let’s see if they can pass my alcohol-free beer test :smile:

For now my favorite has been Störtebeker, it is not as sweet as most others I have tried.
No idea if they have an international distribution.

1 Like

Excellent question. (googles)

The Brooklyn Pils has 6.3g carbs and the Hoppy Amber has 22g. For me, though, the difference between beer carbs and chip carbs is this: chip carbs are much easier to consume. A single serving of chips is 16-18g, but let’s be honest: I never eat just one serving.

FWIW, I’ve been drying out in January for over 20 years, although in my case my birthday is in late January, so I just dry out until then. That feels like enough to me. The full month sounds like a long time. I find it gets harder as I get closer to the end date as I anticipate what I’m going to open first.

Probably like everyone on this thread, I drink wine virtually every night other than January. Two things happen; I lose weight and wake up feeling a little clearer. I always vow to take a week or two off in the middle of the year, but never do.

I think it’s a good thing. Proves to myself I can deal with it if I have to.

Hang in there.

3 Likes

4 Likes

If I can’t drink wine…

I’m firing up the grill.

4 Likes

Looks like it is getting resurrected over on the Beer and Spirits section :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did my first Dry January last year and am convinced it caused me to (ahem) overcompensate on on Berserkerday.

2 Likes

That looks terrific. I plan to smoke a few rib plates on MLK Day.

Any thoughts on which flavor of Zero Water would pair best with BBQ?

As I am based in Europe, BerserkerDay is “luckily” not so much a thing for me.

Thx for the recco. Picked up the Best Day.

Where is the daily oddball music choice? Or the countdown of hours left to go? Has everyone moved over to the N/A beer thread :grin:
The end of Week 2 feels meaningful, so take a mini victory lap.
@Patrick_Taylor I’m not stepping into your DJ booth, but I will sign off with

Stay dry, folks.

1 Like

Oof, I apologize. I’ve stayed on the dry wagon, but fallen off the music wagon. I’ll make it up to you tomorrow! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congrats on the milestone. Having started late this year, I only have a week in the books (today is Day 8 for me). It still feels important, and I have settled in for the long haul.

It is eerily quiet this year, though.

1 Like

Shouldn’t this be in Asylum since it’s talking about not drinking wine?! :thinking:

2 Likes

324 hours down, 420 to go.

I’m skiing solo in VT for the long weekend. Right now taking a break in the mid-mountain lodge. I may be the only adult drinking water. lol.

1 Like

We’d have to move all the threads on Napa too

1 Like

Second. Move to vote. Motion passed!

1 Like

Just rediscovered this thread today. Decided to give the dry January a try. I’ve never done it before and probably never have gone more than a week or so without some form of drinking since college. I leave for a two week work trip tomorrow and initially was thinking I’d make an exception for work dinners. But another coworker is also doing it, so we will keep each other on track during the week. The weekend out of town might be tough though as I usually make a local brewery a point to go visit. I’ve noticed I’m sleeping better, we will see if that continues in a hotel. Normally I sleep awful in hotels, but that could be the bad food and alcohol consumption on these trips. Initially when I started this I was moving the goal post with allowances for Saturday night or as mentioned above work dinners. But now that I’ve gone 14 days without anything I’m thinking it’s worth it to myself to meet the challenge and continue the rest of the month. Can I spend two weeks with coworkers sober? If might be difficult, but I’m going to try!

2 Likes

This would break me. Much respect to you if you pull it off!

also skiing in Vermont this weekend and the apres urge is no joke. been enjoying athletic brewing co and sober sleeps however.