Official Dryuary (Dry January) 2024 Thread

Hello!

This is the thread for Berserkers choosing to participate in Dryuary 2024, i.e. no alcohol for the month of January. It’s hard to believe this is the 4th year we’ve done this.

If you do not want to go 100% dry, but rather modify your alcohol intake, feel free to stick around. On my end, I’ll probably have wine on my birthday, January 16th.

You can also use this thread to discuss other behavior/dietary mods, e.g., intermittent fasting, exercise, eliminating refined carbs, etc.

Cheers!

Patrick

6 Likes

Good luck and good health everyone. Did a two week+ dry stretch while in Costa Rica in November 2023, and it at least helped to avoid gaining weight while eating restaurant meals for 18 straight days.

2 Likes

I’m in again. As primarily a weekend drinker and no work events, this shouldn’t be too bad this year. I do have my cousin’s wedding in the middle of the month to contend with, but I’m not worried about one day out of 31 given my broader habits.

3 Likes

Or taking Ozempic and just smugly telling everyone you cut out refined carbs etc. :smiley:

I want to give this a try . . .

2 Likes

I’m in again!

1 Like

The Dryuary that I attempt is not buying wine for the month of January.

13 Likes

this will be my 6th Dry January

1 Like

We (the wife and I) will be doing a dry Mon-Fri for January, if not the next few months. Maybe until her spring break the end of March. Lord knows my wallet probably needs it more than even my liver does.

5 Likes

I’m in for Sunday thru Thursday - may stick with it beyond Jan who knows…

4 Likes

This will be my 7th. But I’m going to have to extend it into February as I have two exceptions that I plan to make in January.

1 Like

I do the same thing. Have 2 special occasions every January and I limit myself to 1 glass.

1 Like

I am in for this as well - the intake definitely accelerated over these last 2 months and need a break.

Going to be hard though- we’ve been having a bottle at least 4x a week for months!

We are going for Monday thru Thursday for January and February.

3 Likes

I’d love to keep it to one glass…but it probably won’t happen. One occasion is a dinner with two dear friends who because of circumstances I get to see about once a year. The second is that I’m going to Israel at the end of the month. Not sure what that means around booze, but I’ll find out.

Looking forward to the month and checking in with all of you.

1 Like

I just got back from 5 weeks in Europe. I did not go dry, but I mostly ate just one meal a day. That, combined with lots (and lots) of walking, and I actually lost 5 lbs.

I’ll need a cover story for my post-refined carb nap/coma.

Imagine there’s no vino
It’s easy if you try
No Sherry Fino
No demi-sec or dry

Imagine all Berserkers
Living without Cay…mus hush

Dryuary is for schemers
But I’m not the only one
I hope Jim Stewart’ll join us
And teetotal for a month

“No. That’s not true! That’s impossible!” - Luke Drywalker

I have an Israeli whisky that was aged near the Dead Sea. Tremendous.

4 Likes

myself i celebrate Ginuary and drink Martinis,
but wish you all the best of it

1 Like

You are correct, what with Berserker Day XV.

1 Like

I hope you’re using the overproof stuff.

Welcome back my friends
Who’ve resolved to eschew vins
Bourbon, scotch and bathtub gin
Join the ride, join the ride

Day 1 of Dryuary is over and in the books. It was easy for me, as my in-laws are visiting.

I discovered a bunch of new music this fall, thanks to American Airlines’ in-flight entertainment to and from Europe. I’ll share some of those soon enough, but wanted to lead off with a tune that has an appropriate good first verse to welcome us back.

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer fits the bill. I only saw ELP once, in 1992 at the World Music Theater in Tinley Park, Illinois. My concert buddy Matt and I scored seats in the 2nd row. We made the 3 hr drive from Indiana, arriving in plenty of time. At the point I realized I had left my ticket at home. Fortunately, this was well before scanned tickets, so I bought a ticket for the lawn, and Matt went down to the second row. He returned with a borrowed ticket and I used it to reach my rightful place.

Bonham was the opener, featuring a young Jason Bonham. Somewhere I have a drumstick that Jason threw into the crowd.

ELP was admittedly past their prime, but the show was fantastic. They opened with “Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression, Part 2,” with its instantly recognizable Moog synthesizer opening. (And if you like avant garde piano music, listen to the entirety of Karn Evil 9; it’s well worth ~30 minutes of your time.) Greg Lake did his best carnival barker impression and it was off to the races.

Stay dry, folks!

Patrick

3 Likes