OFFER CLOSED - T. BERKLEY WINES: I Love Chenin Blanc + Cabernet Franc and So Should You! 20% off through the weekend

CHENIN BLANC + CABERNET FRANC For The People! I STILL HAVE A FEW OFFER PACKS LEFT, SO EXTENDING THROUGH SUNDAY 01/29
T. BERKLEY WINES

Wine Berserkers! I am new here (thanks to a Berserker for the intro!) and am super excited to join BerserkerDay for its 14th year to share my wines with all of you. By way of backstory, I founded T. Berkley Wines in 2016 after nearly a decade spent learning how to craft outstanding, artisanal wines from great mentors around the world, including time at Littorai, Kosta Browne, Felton Road (Central Otago), Brokenwood (Hunter Valley), and Weingut Knoll (Wachau) both in the vineyards AND the cellars.

Throughout that time, awash though I was in ultra-premium Pinot and Chardonnay, GrĂŒner and Shiraz, I maintained a long-running love affair with Chenin Blanc and Cabernet Franc, so I decided to dedicate my winemaking journey to focusing on these underappreciated – but no less outstanding – grapes from the great state of California. My philosophy? I work with outstanding grower partners and source old-vine, organic or sustainably grown grapes from mountainside vineyards when and where I can. And my winemaking style is terroir-driven, with minimal intervention in the cellar to allow the innate sense of place of each site I source from to shine.

Currently T. Berkley Wines is a one-man show (with my wife serving as an excellent and essential assistant in all things), meaning countless hours in the car and in the cellar to craft 1,500 cases annually. I sell primarily through my Blanc + Franc Wine Club, distribution in a few states, and most recently through a co-op tasting room in downtown Napa, Outland Wines. As I am still so small, I do not normally offer discounts on my wines, so this is the ONLY TIME my wines will be discounted. Just for you and just for today!

To the nitty-gritty (cruise to the bottom for some wine info or check it out HERE):

**ALL OFFERS ARE 20% OFF AND SHIPPED AT A FLAT RATE OF $14 PER ORDER (select BD14 shipping option at Checkout) I can ship everywhere but NH, ND, and UT. If you like what you see and would like to join the BLANC + FRANC Club for preferential access to all the Loire inspired goodness when new wines are released throughout the year, that’s all HERE

OFFER #1: Intro To T. Berkley Wines 6-Pack

An introductory collection of my wines featuring old-vine Chenin Blanc from Mendocino County, a multi-vineyard Sonoma County Cabernet Franc blend, and one of the best RosĂ©s you’ve yet to taste!

2 x 2021 Rosé of Cabernet Franc
2 x 2020 Norgard Chenin Blanc
2 x 2019 Ophelia Cabernet Franc

Retail Price - $180
Berserker Price - $144

PURCHASE

OFFER #2: Chenin Blanc is For Lovers 6-Pack

A dissertation on California Heritage. 40±year-old Chenin Blanc vines that show a purity of fruit and abundance of acidity. 2017 vs 2020 show you the aging potential of this wondrous vineyard site. And if Stickies are not your thing (although this Late Harvest is a stunner, acid-driven through to the end) just comment in your order to substitute for the 2019 Norgard Farms Chenin Blanc.*

2 x 2020 Norgard Chenin Blanc
2 x 2017 Norgard Chenin Blanc
2 x 2019 Late Harvest Chenin Blanc*

Retail Price - $200
Berserker Price - $160

PURCHASE

OFFER #3: Franc-ophile Vertical 6-Pack

Ophelia is my winery barrel selection every year and dedicated to the friends and family who have helped me get T. Berkley Wines off the ground (from the Greek Ophelos = to help). A three vintage vertical lets you taste through the evolution and expression of varietally-expressive Cab Franc.

2 x 2019 Ophelia Cabernet Franc
2 x 2018 Ophelia Cabernet Franc
2 x 2017 Ophelia Cabernet Franc

Retail Price - $250
Berserker Price - $200

PURCHASE

OFFER #4: The Winemaker’s Sampler 6/12-Pack

The complete picture of my winemaking for T. Berkley Wines, across the board. Some similar suspects from the Intro Pack, but with the addition of the LAST of my Oak Knoll Cab Franc AND my CĂŽt (a Loire-inspired Malbec), that is a wonderful new take on the variety out of what is left of my personal library. For those wanting the deep T. Berkley dive!

2021 Rose of Cabernet Franc
2020 Norgard Chenin Blanc
2019 Ophelia Cabernet Franc
2019 Oak Knoll Cabernet Franc
2019 Late Harvest Chenin Blanc
2016 CĂŽt

Retail Price - $235/$470
Berserker Price - $188/$376

PURCHASE

OFFER #5: Aged and Enthused 6/12-Pack

It is my firm belief that the best crafted wines are meant to age. Thankfully both Chenin Blanc and Cabernet Franc age beautifully and for those true wine connoisseurs among the community, I have retrieved a few cases each of Chenin and Cab Franc from the T. Berkley Library to have on offer today. From my cellar to yours, these beauties are perfectly aged and ready to go!

2017 Norgard Chenin Blanc
2017 Ophelia Cabernet Franc

Retail Price - $240/$480
Berserker Price - $192/$384

PURCHASE

About My Wines: I LOVE Chenin Blanc and Cabernet Franc and, like the minimalist design to my label, treat my grapes with the care and attention they deserve to showcase their clean and distinctive characteristics. Making great wine is often about having the patience and self-control to not do anything until the time is right – zen and the art of wine observation – a minimal interventionist school at which I study every year.

2021 Rosé of Cabernet Franc - 100% Cabernet Franc, 13.5% abv, 200 Cases Produced
This wine is a mix of whole cluster pressed Cabernet Franc that I and a small army of friends and family, pick ourselves each year, and saignée juice from my full red Cab Franc fermenters. Fermented with native yeasts in a mix of neutral French Oak and stainless steel barrels, it then ages for 4-6 months before being bottled. Extremely enjoyable upon release, it also develops beautifully with time, making it an a-typical Rosé.

2020 Norgard Chenin Blanc - 100% Chenin Blanc, 13.5% abv, 350 Cases Produced
Old vine Chenin that is crushed (by foot) and pressed to a mix of concrete, French oak puncheons, and stainless steel barrels. Fermented with native yeasts and aged sur lie for 10 months, then racked to tank for 3-5 months prior to bottling, this is serious Chenin. Acid driven and mineral, with just the right amount of jasmine, honeysuckle, and orange blossom.

2019 Ophelia Cabernet Franc - 100% Cabernet Franc, 14.0% abv, 210 Cases Produced
The wine I make in the cellar each year, Ophelia is assembled by barrel selection from the various Cab Franc vineyards I work with the year following the harvest. Fermented with native yeasts, always with a little whole cluster (a rarity with Cab Franc) and bottled after ~10-18 months in neutral French oak, mainly puncheons. This particular vintage screams Chinon, channeling the spice, herbaceous, and tobacco notes that the Loire valley is so famous for.

2019 Oak Knoll Cabernet Franc - 100% Cabernet Franc, 14.0% abv, 100 Cases Produced
My favorite Cabernet Franc vineyard, this old vine site is located in the heart of Napa Valley’s Oak Knoll appellation. Fermented with native yeasts, this wine spends18-22 months in French oak and sees up to 40% new barrels. The structured fruit coming from these old vines can handle it.

2019 Late Harvest Chenin Blanc 375mLs - 100% Chenin Blanc, 15.5% abv, 100 Cases Produced,
Nectar from the Harvest Gods! Picked in mid-November, long after the rest of my harvest had concluded, this is beautiful, structured, dessert wine at its finest. Chenin Blanc retains beautiful acidity, even when picked late, and after two years in a French oak puncheon, this is one of the most unique wines I have made (and I may never get the chance again).

2016 CĂŽt - 100% Malbec, 14.0% abv, 60 Cases Produced
A winemaking experiment during the 2016 harvest, this is Malbec unlike any you have had before. Quasi-carbonically fermented with native yeasts in an extremely cold environment and aged in stainless steel barrels, this wine has an abundance of fruit and a purity of expression not often found in Malbecs. Included from my personal wine library just for The Winemaker’s Sampler!

My philosophy with T. Berkley Wines is that truly great wine is made in the vineyard and shepherded to bottle by the winemaker. To those ends I believe in minimal intervention of my wines and look for excellent vineyards with which to partner, searching out older, organically farmed parcels when and where I can. I am passionate about these grapes and am excited to add my support to the growers focusing on lesser-known albeit historic varieties here in Northern California.

Happy Drinking!

1 Like

BERKELEY WINES BDXIV - (1/18/2023)

I was lucky enough to be chosen by Todd to be a taster of these wines for BD 14. Taylor sent three bottles to me and to Astrid, and I was very happy that our impressions, in my mind, are quite similar. To be sure, these are wine drinkers wines, there are not over made in any way, shape, or form. They are all quite lovely, and terrific with food, but also wonderful by themselves, at many different temperatures and a few different glasses!
[list][]2019 T. Berkley Cabernet Franc Ophelia - USA, California, Sonoma County
I really enjoyed this; drunk out of Grassl 1855

This started with a pretty red velvet color that was “right on!”. After a few hours, it eased toward red with purple edges. It had pretty red fruit aromas, like wild berry, perfumed red currant. It was bright and airy in the glass. The wine has a nice green streak, not pyrazine in any way, nor bell pepper(which I hate), but a fresh green bush-hogged sweet grass and dog fennel thing going on
(find me the synesthetic word for that). In the mouth I was very happy with bright, tart, red fruit, some pepper and spice, that came through with the fruit and green grass perceptions. The wine was ripe but not dulled, with a “low alcohol” perception(bottle says 14%). It is approachable, food friendly, tasty, a total drinker’s wine. After 4 hours, my last bullet says, still red fruited, tart, bright, tasty.
[
]2020 T. Berkley Chenin Blanc - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County
Very nice. I started this wine quite cold, it had delicate notes of dried honey, and lime dust, and dried sweet grass. It was limpid, really, with just hints of gold color. It was juicy, and inviting
 as it warmed, it became more fluid, full, but remained inviting. I liked it much. Also detected perceptions of dried sand, cistern thoughts, limestone, and a hint of wild mint. A lovely wine, and like the Cab/Franc. A drinkers wine. It was very food friendly as well, as I drank it on a cold night, with roasted meat, and domino potatoes.
[*]2021 T. Berkley Cabernet Franc Rosé - USA, California
Dang this was really nice. I drink this on a cold night. The wine really popped raw red wild fruits, and a decent mineral backbone. It was juicy, and delicious, and quite serious for a rosé.
[/list]
Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I’m in for a sixer of the #4 and #5

2 Likes

T. Berkley sent the wines to me for free as part of the Monopole CrĂŒ ‘Newbie taster’ program.

I invited two Napa wine lovers to taste and pair these wines. I drink mostly French wines. Our conclusion at the end of the night was that these wines are great for both tastes: lighter than the typical Napa, but a bit more robust than the typical Loire. All wines were tasted out of Glasvin tulips (Obsession or Prestige).

2020 T. Berkley Chenin Blanc
Straw color. On the nose, it smells a bit like lemon curd with an herbaceous note. Meyer lemon, pineapple (came across as yellow apple initially), and a bit of rosemary on the palate. Nice minerality and great acidity. No outright oakiness, but one of my guests and my husband commented there’s a certain creaminess to it. Perfect pairing with salad of little gem lettuce, tomatoes, radishes and endive.

2021 T. Berkley Cabernet Franc Rosé
Salmon color. Watermelon and wild strawberry on the nose and on the palate. Dry. A more serious style of rosé compared to the barely-pink popular nowadays. This rosé is delicious on its own or with food. It went well with the pork roulade at dinner, and it would likely be a good option for Thanksgiving. The following day, I served the rosé with rosemary lamb chops (made sous vide + reverse sear) and roasted white squash, and this pairing was really nice.

2019 T. Berkley Cabernet Franc Ophelia
Limpid garnet color. On the nose, blackberry, red cherry, and a nice earthy note. On the palate, tart cherry, cranberry and maybe some red plum (?), with a subtle spice. There’s no green bell pepper, which is often associated with cab franc, but there is a green note reminiscent of parsley. Well balanced, silky textured, and not heavy, despite the 14% alcohol. Great pairing with pork loin roulade and did not change much, if at all, in the 4+ hours it was open. The bottle disappeared by the end of the evening, so I was unable to taste it the next day as initially intended.

4 Likes

Love your notes Astrid, they are right on! Very nice wines and darn good deals!

1 Like

These wines sound like they are right up my alley. Order placed. Looking forward to trying them!

4 Likes

Hello All,
I’ve known Taylor for a little over 6 years since first visiting him at Teachworth Estate in 2016 (a must visit if you have not yet). Taylor is, as they say, “good people” as well as a helluva winemaker and very modest to boot. His wines are sublime and are highly recommended!! Cheers! :wine_glass::+1:

3 Likes

On offer # 2 where do we comment on order form to substitute for the 2019 Norgard Farms Chenin Blanc.for the Late Harvest? Thanks

1 Like

In for offers 2 & 4. These are great deals even before the discount!

2 Likes

In for a double on #3!

2 Likes

Really excited to give these a try. In for an Intro pack.

1 Like

So glad to be able to try these. This is what BD is about!

2 Likes

AMAZING Wines from amazing people!!!

1 Like

Looking forward to trying these!

1 Like

Taylor added comment section to switch out 2019 Late Harvest so order placed for 2- 3 packs of the Chenin Blanc. Look forward to trying these.

Glitch fixed, just so everyone knows! Cheers to Nick for discovering!

2 Likes

Charlie, thanks for the outstanding tasting notes! If you ever need a side gig writing more, just let me know. Glad that you enjoyed my wines, I’ve loved making them and am most excited when I get to share them with fellow cork dorks!

1 Like

Astrid, so appreciate the tasting notes, thank you! I am glad that my wines stood up well for your Napa wine lovers as well as for your French tastes. I am trying to walk the line between my Loire inspiration and my California roots
so far, so good!

2 Likes

Thanks Rich!

Mark, fancy seeing you here! Thanks for the kind words and Sarah and I look forward to seeing you in May!