NYC - Blind Tasting Dinner

We old guys have to use all the tricks in the book.

Taking notes

1 Like

If it ain’t 180 proof poured in the back of an old synagogue on the outskirts of Moscow to celebrate smuggling things into the USSR for a foreign power, it doesn’t count as Vodka. But I digress. That’s for another day.

1 Like

There’s a lot to unpack there…

Thanks for organizing a great night, Peter, and thanks everyone for bringing such delicious (and baffling, to me!) wines.

2 Likes

How was this event? Any notes? Any highlights? I am really sad I missed this one.

Thanks everyone for coming! I thought the highlights, for me personally, were the RWT, SQN, CADE Howell Mountain and the Kosta Brown. Turns out I’m not bad at blind tasting the wines I like and drink all the time and pretty bad at guessing Italian wines… I guess I need more practice! We’re going to do another one soon… keep an eye out for the announcement.

2 Likes

Thanks again for hosting another brilliant evening Peter. You had a lot of good company, including me, in the “wild ass guesses about southern European wines” rounds.

We didn’t vote on a “best under $40 wine” but I’d guess it was @Joseph_Grassa ‘s Aglianico, which had the distinction of being identified by absolutely no-one but rated by everyone above the more expensive wine. Joe, can you share the specs on that bottle?

1 Like

Great evening! Lots of interesting wines and again great service from Corkbuzz. Always great to see everyone.

@AaronR
2020 Elena Fucci Titolo (Aglianico del Vulture) - I paid $32.85 all in a few months ago, WS Avg in US is $45.

Aged and fermented in 200L French oak, 50% new. I believe it is 1 yr in the barrels.

They age very well. I brought a 2003 to a Berserker dinner back in Jan and it was one of the favs on the night, but still had plenty of years left.

Last night’s bottle was slow oxed at 58 degrees for 6 hours. Probably 2 more hours open at Corkbuzz before we got into it.

Glad you liked it!

2 Likes

Please note the Riesling bottle was not Riesling and the SQN was a different SQN. We’re also missing one Nebbiolo from the line up.

2 Likes
1 Like

While not a well taken photo - I believe this captures the spirit well.

2 Likes

Great night. Lots of surprises.
Thanks Peter and attendees. Format and brings really made it a fun and educational event.

Almost left my notes and found these while looking for mine. Sending picture in case they matter to owner.

It was a lovely night with some interesting wines and delicious food. Great to see people again and nice to meet those of you who were new to me. And thanks of course to Peter for the whole organization and setup.
Best regards,
Brian

2 Likes

Gavin, I have absolutely no idea what any of those notes say brother LOL. Especially the 2nd page. I’m saying this from 1 guy with bad handwriting to another.

ah, I was unclear.

Those are not my notes.

Someone else left them so I posted them here so they can see them.

Not that mine are much neater…

Ah! I suppose I rushed when I read your comment. Either way, the handwriting is amazing lol.

Left one is mine. I think I was trying to write down the correct answers once they were revealed but I doubt my chicken scratchings are helpful to anyone (including to myself) and I obviously gave up at some point lol

1 Like

Catching up on some notes. I was not present for the white flight.

Wine #1

@J_a_y_H_a_c_k shared this had a multi-hour decant on it.

Medium red color. Medium opacity. No obvious staining.Completely Arresting on the first nose. Cooling herbal gusts calling menthol to mind (in an elevated way). Olive tapenade, Red licorice, red fruit, jekey x prosciutto. The tannins are royal and smooth. Acidity still alive. Alcohol well integrated. Finish is complete. So much here and also feels like it has over a decade to go and will continue to evolve. Wine like this is art.

At the end of this, I was in the syrah camp.

2001 SQN Patine Grenache

@Jay please correct me if I have the vintage wrong. Know you mentioned needing to check. I could only find 2011 for this

Wine #2

Similar appearance as the above. More funk on the nose. More lifting than brooding. red fruit. Cherry. Still something herbal.

This was strange. Left me thinking strange CdP. Tasty

Thomas rivers brown Outpost 2011 Grenache Howell mountain

(Saved till the end - dead @ 8pm)

Wine #3

Light and lifted and tart. This is not a young wine, but comes across incredibly youthful.
Really needs a lot time. Still fresh at 9pm.
2007 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Bosconia

Wine #4

Dark red - more opaque. Big legs. American Oak. Little tca? Some stewed fruit. Tannins are smooth. Many appreciative nodes around the table for this one. 2007 Marqués de Murrieta “Castillo Ygay” Gran Reserva Especial Rioja

Need to taste more Riojas.

My brings

Wine #5

Clearly an old wine. Some bricking color fading. Dried Violet. Old leather. Tart cherry. Tobacco. Mostly tertiary, the rest of the fruit having faded. Smooth. Good acid. Medium finish. If you have any left, drink them now.

1998 Pertinace (Cantina Vignaioli) Barbaresco

Cork was nightmare to pull. Double decanted 5.5hrs before the event. On the open, it was clean and weirdly smelled like fudge brownie…

Don’t wait any more this is on maturity plane and maybe just over the shoulder

Wine #6

Funky and young.
2019, Retica Alpine Nebbiolo (1L)

Wine #7

Light red color. Translucent. Some fine sediment. Ripe red fruit - very ripe -almost sweet, but so smooth. Not overly complex, but there are some secondary notes - bramble for example. Mushroom? Enough acid to bring balance, but nothing untowards. It’s a really scrumptious wine. Not on the decline at all, but mature.

The coloring, fruit and structure, this was clearly classic well aged burgundian pinot. Did not think it was this old.

Domaine Bart, Bonnes Mares, Grand cru 2003

Wine #8

Upon pour, I got diaper, but blew off. Fine tannins. Rhubarb. Cherry. More acid than it’s peer.

2005 Domaine Joseph Roty Marsannay Ouzeloy

5 Likes