New York City Restaurants

i will find myself at noortwyck this saturday for the third time in 6 weeks so its quickly been added to regular rotation.

i had that monnier perreol st joseph (2020) the last time i was there. it was fine but i prefer to bring my own and pay corkage. one of the co-owners is a big northern rhone fan. maybe my tastes are changing but it was a bit one note and a bit too modern and fruity for me. maybe it was the fact it had no age.

just a very solid place. not cheap but you will get a great meal there.

1 Like

Just around the corner from Porcelain is Morscher’s, a wonderful old school butcher that smokes its own meats on site. Herbie, the owner, is a prince and can guide you to what’s worth trying. Schedule those for the same trip to Ridgewood, if possible.

1 Like

Nope, first time for both of us.

The existence of that store was the reason Porcelain originally focused on Austrian cuisine. It did not go over so well despite a valiant effort. The pandemic did not help.

One of the old guards and not among the slew of new, cutting-edge establishments these days, Gramercy Tavern’s Greenmarket Lunch yesterday, to sum it up, remains right smack in my comfort foods wheelhouse. The added main course, their version of the lobster roll on a brioche with the excellent side of the freshest of dressed greens, hit all the good spots. My wife was very happy with her chicken dish that was so homey, yet professionally executed.

In spite of the nice list of wines, reasonable within NYC-pricing standards, I was looking forward to having an aged Northern Rhone and so byo’d ($35 per bottle, not on their list) a wonderful 1985 Pierre Barge Côte-Rôtie, in addition to ordering 375 of a good-drinking 2020 Remi Jobard Bougogne Blanc Cote d’Or VV

4 Likes

Awesome! I have a bottle of 1983 Barge Cote-Rotie that is waiting for the right moment - or next Northern Rhone dinner - although your photo shows 1985. I recently drank a 1986 that was terrific.

2 Likes

I had the 1983. My first Barge C-R and it was terrific!

Thanks for noting my typo. Corrected.

2 Likes

funny - went to GT for a work meeting / snack on monday and it’s the first time in many years. list is mostly young though we found an older disgorgement marie courtin which was showing well. your photo reminded me on the glassware - feels old. with glasvin, zalto, gabriel glass (at marta and maialino) the ones at GT felt dated and inappropriate by modern standards.

1 Like

Even Zalto is no longer cutting edge!

Josephine Hutte is what the cool kids use :slight_smile:

i’m aware. my comment was about the higher newer standard. the glasses at GT felt like i was at a country club in NJ. had that rounded lip thing.

1 Like

Glasswares are dated, but we’re not complaining with the good food /service, plus the proximity was conducive to arranging a rare, these days, lunch date with my wife.

Should also note that stemwares are behind those by The Bar Room and the Modern.

Wife also remarked how dated the overall look was as we tried to reminisce the last time were there and couldn’t agree on 6 or 8 years ago.

Could be worse. Went to Le Crocodile in Williamsburg last week and for $60/bottle corkage, we got what may have been Libby glasses for the white and Reidrl for the red

agree here as well. i’ll upgrade to a nice nj country club.

1 Like

It definitely doesn’t have the MOMA-designed complicated tiny dishes served by stiff black-turtlenecked beard-and-tatooed servers. But the food and wine-list served my purpose.

1 Like

Noortwyck provides zalto stems for byo or off the list.

2 Likes

Stems at Noortwyck were fantastic (Zalto).

looks like the josephine hutte (cool kids) were designed by zalto
are they still cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

separate company, one of them spent 10 years developing a better glass and split from the family. Does not feel like a friendly split. Josephine Hutte is taking a lot of market share from Zalto.

going to buy a couple to check it out
as always, thanks Robert

Nice meal last night at Sixty Three Clinton. Highlights were the Japanese sweet potato in mole, and Berkshire pork with curry. Flipped through the wine list, which was heavily weighted towards champagne – seems like a nice place to drink some sought after names like Egly, Emmanuel Brochet, Collin, etc. Our server put paired wines off the by-the-glass list for us, including some half pours for my wife. She picked a mousse fils champagne, dry furmint, a sake, Portuguese red, and sauternes.

Service was friendly and attentive. Loved the music… and it wasn’t too loud.

Menu concept is a base tasting menu with a bunch of add-ons that quickly add up. I think one addition each was the right amount for us, so it’s a factor to be aware of in the overall cost of the meal. We’ll return.

4 Likes